Help Pass The National Sex Offender Registry Act of 2004

by NewLight2 14 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• NewLight2
    NewLight2

Please contact your Senator/Rrepresentatives and ask them to support Bills S 2154 HR 3929 (AKA "Dru's Law") to establish a National sex offender registration database.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/462/5096002.html
    "Friends and relatives of Dru Sjodin have established a new Web site -- www.drusvoice.com -- to promote passage of "Dru's Law," a proposed national registry of sex offenders. The Senate bill, sponsored by the four U.S. senators from North Dakota and Minnesota, and a companion House resolution are in committees."

Email your Senators:
    http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

Email your Rrepresentatives:
    http://www.house.gov/writerep/

Sample Letter:
    http://www.drusvoice.com/sample_letter.htm

Dear Senator (or Representative)_________________:

Please support the National Sex Offender Registry Act of 2004....Dru's Law. Sexual
    predators are a frightening problem in our society and it's time to do everything within our
    power to ensure the safety of our unsuspecting and vulnerable citizens. Passing this bill and
    having a national registery accessible on the internet will be an important step toward
    creating awareness. Where there is awareness there is caution.

This bill will make our country and our society a safer place in which to live. Dru's Law CAN
    MAKE A DIFFERENCE. Please support this life-saving bill.

Sincerely,
    XXXXXXXXX

NewLight2's Home Page
    http://www.geocities.com/newlight_2/Links1.html

• tyydyy
    tyydyy

I'm afraid that I can't do that. I don't think we should permanantly mark people who have served their sentence. I have seen the sex offender lists and some of the people on the list are ones that were found guilty of minor offenses when young and are marked for the rest of their lives. I also don't believe that sex offenders, even pedophiles, are beyond rehabilitation. If they are still a danger to society then we should keep them locked up, but once they've been released they should be free to live normally.

I know this is an entirely unpopular stance but we should protect our right to live normally. If we give up the rights of even a few of our citizens then we risk losing them ourselves.

TimB

• NewLight2
    NewLight2

TimB: "I don't think we should permanantly mark people who have served their sentence."

1988: Mary Foley and Carrie Coonrod are raped and killed by recently released repeat rapists David Anthony Thomas and Thomas Schwartz.

1999: Katie Poirier was killed by released sex offender Donald Blom.

2003: Dru Sjodin killed by released sex offender Alfonso Rodriguez Jr. after serving his 23 year long sentance. Rodriguez was a model prisoner.

That is FOUR lives that were taken by sex offenders who had served their time in prison and were released! I'm 100% sure that many more deaths could also be found with some research into the matter.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you. Dru would be alive today if sex offender Alfonso Rodriguez Jr not been released to the general public after serving his so-called "time in prison".

http://www.startribune.com/stories/462/5096454.html

"Notorious crimes have inspired legislative
    steps to toughen Minnesota's criminal sanctions.

1988: Mary Foley and Carrie Coonrod are
    raped and killed in Minneapolis parking ramps
    by recently released repeat rapists David
    Anthony Thomas and Thomas Schwartz.

1989: Legislature more than doubles prison
    terms for rape and increases the minimum time
    to be served on a life sentence from 17 years to
    30 years.

Aug. 31, 1994: Legislature in special session
    unanimously broadens civil commitment law to
    include repeat rapists like Dennis Linehan, who
    was about to be released. Civil commitments
    increase dramatically in years that follow.

1996: State passes first program to notify
    residents when released high-risk sex offenders
    move into a neighborhood. Patty Wetterling,
    whose son Jacob was abducted in 1989 and
    never found, helps organize a statewide
    coalition on community notification.

1999: Katie Poirier abducted from a Moose
    Lake convenience store and killed by released
    sex offender Donald Blom.

2000: Legislature again doubles prison terms for
    first-degree criminal sexual conduct, to a
    minimum of 12 years."

Star Tribune staff

• tyydyy
    tyydyy

Let's ask ourselves this question. If the information on every sex offender were made public, would it prevent them from stiking again? I doubt it. It just means that they might not do it in their own neighborhood.

I do think that anyone volunteering or working with children should be subjected to a criminal background check.

I also think that we should have sentences that fit the crime and these criminals should serve their full sentence.

When this criminal is released, we must allow him to become a member of our society or we will leave them no other choice than to live outside our society and our societies rules. We would be forcing them to commit crimes again just to survive and in many cases I do believe that is what happens.

TimB

• sf
    sf

Thank you. Done.

sKally

• tyydyy
    tyydyy

What's next? Should we tatoo them on the forehead?

Who's next? Should we apply these rules also to those accused of sex crimes?

What about those who've been convicted of murder?

Wouldn't you like to know if there is a burgler living next door?

Wouldn't you like to know if the man next door threatened to kill his last neighbor?

I think that each of us should take some personal responsibility for our own safety. Our vigilance and preparedness will serve us much better than hoping that a set of rules giving our strength to our government will protect us from evil and eventually give us a crime-free utopian society.

TimB

• NewLight2
    NewLight2

I have not been posting to this forum in quite some time. Since I was a regular poster, another person has joined the forum who uses the name 'new light' or 'newlight'. This is not me. We are 2 different people. I just thought it best to make this point clear to everyone here.

NewLight2 aka NL2

• NewLight2
    NewLight2

TimB,

Don't you think that if this bill passes, it would help to make public the 'hidden' sex offenders within the JW community? A sex offender usually does NOT LIMIT their abusive behavior to ONE place ie within the JW community only. Doesn't it make sense that if a JW who gets caught 'outside' of the JW community may be able to move to another place/state where he did not have a record and join another JW community only to re-offend again. Without being listed in a national data base, the new area may not have the needed information to protect his future potential victims?

Sorry, I still disagree with you.

The consequences of committing a sex abuse crime should be thought of BEFORE someone offends in the first place. This is a serious crime. It is not the same as stealing a cookie out of the cookie jar.

• Little Red Hen
    Little Red Hen
    If the information on every sex offender were made public, would it prevent them from stiking again?

IMHO if sex offenders were executed after the first conviction, they would not be likely to re-offend. I can't find a study that can guarantee any success in 'curing' sex offenders. It is too ingrained in their behavior/personality/biochemistry? to change. Something in them is missing. I look at them the same as a rabid animal, and the best argument for capitol punishment.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    If the information on every sex offender were made public, would it prevent them from stiking again? I doubt it. It just means that they might not do it in their own neighborhood

Knowledge is power.

With all due respect, the rate of recidivism amongst sex offenders is much higher than that of other criminals. Realize too what the results are when the previously convicted offender, re-offends. This is not a 7-11 that is burglarized, it is a child that has forever lost their innocence. What is taken can never be replaced. With much help, and support (which is rare by the way) the child has the possibility of a full recovery. But the odds of that are against them. But even so, should the system work as it should, the child is still scarred. The child, growing into adulthood, knows and feels things that others do not.

Is this right? Is this fair? NO!

To my knowledge, the "cure" rate amongst pedophiles/sex offenders is very, very low. The odds of re-offending are staggeringly high. Coupled with that is the tremendous damage inflicted upon a child that lasts for a lifetime.

I'm sorry, but these two factors outweight any 'right' a convicted offender has. Until such time as we can definitively target exactly what motivates a sex offender, and then correct such defect, a sex offender has abrogated any right to assimilation into society by the very acts and desires that makes them offenders. If society must err, my preference is to err on the side of caution and protection.

Should even one child be harmed, in order to protect the 'rights' of a convicted offender, then that is too high of a price.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit