Could WBTS be forced to pay tax in America?

by Gadget 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Gadget
    Gadget

In another thread Link said:

I am not well versed in U.S. tax laws but it is my understanding that even in the U.S.anyone making loans on which interest is charged is considered to be operating a taxable business.

In the U.K. the Societies loans are interest free but they take control of the building once the loan has been completely repaid. This way they retain the cash without paying any tax.

Does anyone know enough about US tax laws to comment on this? Could what is happening in France happen in America too?

• link
    link

Gadget,

I later found the subject is pretty well covered here:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/74675/1.ashx

link

• one
    one

yes once castro takes over, after bush pave the way for him...

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

They should be taxed like any business unless they can prove they are doing charitible work in the community. And by charitible work, I don't mean preaching, since each individual publisher? has to cover their own expenses without any assistance from the society. And spending the money on building, buying, or renovating real estate should not qualify either. That's not charitible work, that's building wealth.

Walter

• blondie
    blondie

Briefly, it is US history versus other countries history. Many religious people came to the US to escape government control/interference. That is why there is such a strong church separate from state concept (not that it doesn't get bent). Many countries have a state religion. Not here, though some might argue that Christianity is a state religion. Not really, since there are so many different and varied expressions..

Blondie

• Lostreality
    Lostreality

personally, if clergy are allowed to vote, and promote their voting point of view in the church..the line has been blurred, and they should pay like tyhe rest of us...

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    personally, if clergy are allowed to vote, and promote their voting point of view in the church..the line has been blurred, and they should pay like tyhe rest of us...

Clergy don't pay income tax or sales taxes in the US??

• CoonDawg
    CoonDawg
    Clergy don't pay income tax or sales taxes in the US??

Actually, the preachers I have known generally don't pay income because they are given a special status and most of their purchases are done in the name of the church which has a non-profit status and therefore are given an exemption number. Most of them aren't even homeowners, they live in a church supplied parsonage rent and tax free.

I doubt that this will change anytime soon. If the govt. wants to start taxing the WTS, they would have to look at other forms of religion too, and that just hits too close to home with the right wing christian conservative movement's base.

Ern

• Flash
    Flash
    Could what is happening in France happen in America too?

I think that day definately is coming.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin
    Could WBTS be forced to pay tax in America?

Just a matter of time. Hopefully they will be out of business soon and not have to pay any.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit