Loaded Language

by Duncan 19 Replies latest jw friends

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

*snorts* tract whores.. lmao

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront
    The WTS is reporting a worldwide 1% growth for 2004, the lowest for decades. Maybe it has to do with all the loathsome diseases one can catch on the Internet.

ROFLMAO

It's laughable that they'd even publish a stat like that although they will be sure to use it as being a pointer to being so close to the end.

• Preston
    Preston

Does this mean I'm suppose to have sex with only one magazine?

• M.J.
    M.J.
    The society has been manipulating its readership for well over 100 years with all kinds of loaded language designed to get the response it desires - appeals to ?right-hearted persons?, references to ?true Christians? and ?spiritually mature ones?, the absolute demonisation of any they call ?apostates?, all this has been commented on many times before.

*** Awake! 2000 June 22 The Manipulation of Information ***

[As published at official Watchtower website]

The Manipulation of Information

The cunning propagandist loves such shortcuts?especially those that short-circuit rational thought. Propaganda encourages this by agitating the emotions, by exploiting insecurities, by capitalizing on the ambiguity of language, and by bending rules of logic...

Playing on the Emotions

Even though feelings might be irrelevant when it comes to factual claims or the logic of an argument, they play a crucial role in persuasion. Emotional appeals are fabricated by practiced publicists, who play on feelings as skillfully as a virtuoso plays the piano...

...Hatred is a strong emotion exploited by propagandists. Loaded language is particularly effective in triggering it. There seems to be a nearly endless supply of nasty words that promote and exploit hatred toward particular racial, ethnic, or religious groups.

Some propagandists play on pride. Often we can spot appeals to pride by looking for such key phrases as: "Any intelligent person knows that . . ." or, "A person with your education can't help but see that . . ." A reverse appeal to pride plays on our fear of seeming stupid [not to mention weak, complacent, evil, etc..]. Professionals in persuasion are well aware of that.

...So the sly art of propaganda can paraylyze thought, prevent clear thinking and discernment, and condition individuals to act in masse. How can you protect yourself?

• kaykay_mp
    kaykay_mp
    I?ve become aware from reading posts here that this pamphlet is not like a regular magazine, but is a special campaign brochure.

--like an Avon lady...

?Brothers,? he said ? we are not going to be promiscuous with this life-saving literature! Everyone must be handed his copy personally.?

**heavy breathing**--"Hey lady, ya wanna live forever and come to paradise with me?"

laters

kaykay_mp

• Englishman
    Englishman
    Duncan,

After the way you chastised HS, I decided it best to keep my non-virginal athiestic mouth shut!

Lisa

Lisa,

Hillary Step and Duncan actually went to school together. It's true, they really, really did.

Englishman.

• LDH
    LDH

Hi Eman!

I was making a funny!

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Does this mean I'm suppose to have sex with only one magazine?

Only if you use protection

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

M.J.

...So the sly art of propaganda can paraylyze thought, prevent clear thinking and discernment, and condition individuals to act in masse. How can you protect yourself?

!! I don't think it is possible for mere words to express how incredibly ironic it is that the WT Society published an article on propaganda! My God! The gall! That's balls, I tell ya, that, my friend, is just brass balls, plain and simple. Jesus friggin' Christ.

SNG (of the "will be shaking his head over this one for weeks, I'm sure" class)

• CoonDawg
    CoonDawg

I remember being a seven year old child. Myself and another kid of about the same age were paired up to hand out tracts. I can't believe we were working one side of the street by ourselves. There's good parenting for ya! The whole idea of the tracts was blanket coverage for the shotgun effect. You had to put alot of shot out there to see if you could get one or two pellets to hit. Us kids loved the tract campaigns specifically because you mostly never had to speak to anyone, let alone try to dredge up some barely rememberd scripture.

As far as the wordsmithing goes, the WTS has been at it for a very long time. It's funny to look back on how the terminoligies have changed. It used to be "paradise" then the "new order" it evolved into "the new system" and it's currently, I think ..."The New World".

Ern

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit