Why parts of Bible makes no sense

by MungoBaobab 12 Replies latest jw friends

• MungoBaobab
    MungoBaobab

Yep, another day, another newbie. I've been lurking on the board for quite some time, but I just got my password today b/c of some admin. error or such. This isn't the only place I've been lurking, if you know what I mean, and just a few hours ago I had the "privilege" of reading at Bookstudy. Check out this this dreck from Draw Close to Jehovah, page 183-184:

What the Bible Does Not Contain
    16 When you write a letter to a loved one, there is only so much you can include. So you use discretion in choosing what to write. Likewise, Jehovah chose to mention certain individuals and events in his Word. But in the descriptive accounts, the Bible does not always spell out all the details. (John 21:25) For example, when the Bible tells of God's judgement, the information provided may not answer our every question. Jehovah's wisdom is seen even in what he chose to leave out of his word. How so?
    17 The way in which the Bible is written serves to test what is in our heart... The Bible's message pierces deep, revealing our true thinking and motives. Those who read it with a critical heart are often stumbled(!) by accounts that do not contain enough information to satify them. Such ones(!) may even question whether Jehovah really is loving, wisem and just.
    19 To comprehend God's word, then, we must read and study it with a sincere heart and an open mind. Is thin not evidence of Jehovah's great wisdom? Clever humans can write books that only "wise and intellectual ones(!)" can grasp. But to author a book that can be understood only by those having the right heart motivation- that takes the wisdom of God!- Matthew 11:25

I almost choked reading this nonsense out loud to everybody. I guess Jehovah needs to be counseled by the elders, because he sure stumbled me by including such a far-fetched myth like the Flood in the Bible. Shame on me for having a "critical heart" and wanting to, oh, make sure of all things? How can you encourage an open mind and discourage critical thinking on the same page? Once again the Society proves that there is no place for logic in the Organization.

And you gotta love the jealousy seething from"Clever humans can write books that only "wise and intellectual ones" can grasp." Sure enough, an uneducated sister that has to work two jobs to support her kids commented that "We [Witnesses] actually have more wisdom than they do."

Finally, I must say I've enjoyed reading your posts for these past few weeks, and I look forward to participating.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

Hey! Great post and welcome! God would be disfellowshipped for going ahead of the organization, that's a fact. Unless of course he repented.

and just a few hours ago I had the "privilege" of reading at Bookstudy.

What a drag. People really got to start learning to read for themselves.

Kwin

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

hi and welcome..

to quote you:

Shame on me for having a "critical heart" and wanting to, oh, make sure of all things?

i think making sure of all things is "old" light.. have you seen the wtbs use that term since the internet came out?

• MungoBaobab
    MungoBaobab

Thank you both.

People really got to start learning to read for themselves.

Ain't that THE TRUTH, Kwin!

i think making sure of all things is "old" light.. have you seen the wtbs use that term since the internet came out?

You're right, candidlynuts! What's the new line? Something about not "putting faith in every report?" The only acceptable reports to put faith into are the ones made by "one Bible commentator," "many experts," and "some researchers" that are quoted in the Watchtower.

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

i know perfectly how it feels... for talking out loud i lost the "privilege" to read a while ago. since i've not been attending bookstudy regularly anymore, because it's just too hard to stomach. i thought the daniel and isaia books couldn't be topped, but the "draw closer to jehovah" indeed does.

last weeks bookstudy was about why the bible was written down (a load of crap too). the logic was something like: "moses wrote down the law, because oral tradition changes over time". so what about the genesis account? i had a hard time keeping myself from commenting...

they've got eyes, but cannot see. ears, but cannot hear.

• Swan
    Swan
    But to author a book that can be understood only by those having the right heart motivation- that takes the wisdom of God!

This sounds plagarized! Compare it to:

They gave out that they knew how to weave stuffs of the most beautiful colors and elaborate patterns, the clothes manufactured from which should have the wonderful property of remaining invisible to everyone who was unfit for the office he held, or who was extraordinarily simple in character.

-- The Emporer's New Suit by Hans Christian Andersen

Tammy

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    19 To comprehend God's word, then, we must read and study it with a sincere heart and an open mind. Is thin not evidence of Jehovah's great wisdom? Clever humans can write books that only "wise and intellectual ones(!)" can grasp. But to author a book that can be understood only by those having the right heart motivation- that takes the wisdom of God!- Matthew 11:25

*** AHEM ***

(1 John 4:1) 4

Beloved ones, do not believe every inspired expression, but test the inspired expressions to see whether they originate with God, because many false prophets have gone forth into the world.

(1 Thessalonians 5:21) 21

Make sure of all things; hold fast to what is fine.
  • iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

It seems to me that a God that is supposed to live eternally and be omnipotent should have reasonably good communication skills. He should be able to communicate his will and purpose to people in a clear and concise manner. Since he is supposedly able to "read hearts", there is no good reason for the bible to be so obscure. He would know whether or not people are worshipping him for the "right" reasons.

The bible has probably caused more conflict and division than any other book I can think of. If there is a god, he's probably just toying with us.

Walter

• myelaine
    myelaine

MungoBaobab,

You seem to be seething with resentment towards the WBTS. Why don't you leave the organization or at least fade? Then you wouldn't have to deal with their "spin" on the Bible or the Bible at all if that was your choice. Just wondering?

michelle

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

Welcome MungoBoab! That Draw Close to Jehovah book is unbelievable, huh! When you start to look at it from a critical perspective it's easy to see how cunning these WTS writers are, no ethics, all spin.

PS - To myelaine, let him deal with his exit in his own way, on his own time. I know you get defensive of the bible and the holy spirit must have taken over you... but try to take it easy on the new guy, 'kay?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit