Virgins and the Bride?

by Doug Mason 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

I know that a parable must never be made to walk on all four legs, that many of its elements are there to act as "fillers".

Nevertheless, I wonder if I have missed something with the Watchtower's "explanation" of the parable of the Ten Virgins. They state that the parable relates to their Anointed Class. But the WTS also says that the 144,000 are the "Bride".

So are the "anointed" part of the wedding party that is waiting outside as well as being the "bride" waiting inside?

Doug

• New day
    New day
    Yes, but aren't the anointed also double-jobbing in the book of Revelation, as the 144,000 in Rev. 14 and as the 24 elders in Rev. 11, according toWt theology? So maybe that's their thing, you know?
  • prologos
    prologos

Adam was monogamous, Solomon with his mille, The "second Adam" 144 k? Polygamy at the highest level? so:     what is 10 virgins  here or there? and--Rev. 14-- Male virgins too? 

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

When I was young (6 decades ago), my mom use to tell me that when I grow up I could be anything that I wanted to be.

I suppose that's what jehober has told the 144,000 too.

Just saying!

eyeuse2badub

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Now I am further confused by the WTS.

In the March 15, 2015 Watchtower magazine, I read of the Parable of the Ten Virgins:

"Clearly, Jesus intended the parable recorded at Matthew 25:1-13 as counsel and a warning to his anointed followers. ... [Jesus] gave this parable to admonish all his anointed followers in the last days to 'keep on the watch'.” (page 13).

But in the February 15, 2014 magazine, I read:

"Since 1935, millions of people have allowed the remnant to ‘bring them to righteousness.’ These loyal companions of the anointed Christians have purified their lives, becoming spiritual virgins. These “virgin companions” of the bride have dedicated themselves to Jehovah and have proved themselves to be faithful subjects of the Bridegroom-King. The remnant of the bride class have been particularly grateful to these “virgin companions” for their zealous help in preaching." (pages 11-12)

Their "bride" is their 144,000, their "anointed followers". In the 2015 article, the warning about the virgins is to the "anointed" (even though the anointed are the "bride"). But in the 2014 article, the "millions of JWs" are the spiritual virgin companions of the bride.

It's a good thing I don't take any of this seriously.

Doug

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

"Becoming spiritual virgins"   is this a bit like the Islamic girls who have Hymen reconstruction surgery so as to appear a virgin to their eventual husbands ?

If so, in a "Spiritual" sense these anointed ones are fake virgins ?

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Hi Phizzy,

In my estimation, terms such as "spiritual  virgins", "spirit-anointed" and the like are offspring whose parents never knew one another. I am sure we could think of more of these.

Doug

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit