Thanksgiving request

by NKyGuy 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    Know what? Wife goes with us every year. And enjoys herself btw. Watching her, you'd never know she was a Dub.

((((teejay)))) I'm so glad it's working for you!

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    When I was still a JW my wife and I went to Thanksgiving meals at my non-jw sister's place a few times. It didn't bother us because we didn't see anything scripturaly wrong with it. But the society has said in the past that a sister? with an unbelieving mate? could go to something like this to "keep the peace". She just wouldn't say "amen" to any prayers that were said by someone there.

That's what I was told to do when my husband wanted me to participate in holidays w/his family. I felt so out of place, going from celebrating witht them to no longer doing it. Being a lump on a log trying not to enjoy the good feelings everyone else was experiencing. My "worldly" (we both hated that freakin name) husband is now thrilled to have his wife back.

• NKyGuy
    NKyGuy

I could certainly see why he would be happy. Nothing would thrill me more than having my wife decide one day to just stop going. I hold out hope every once in a while, when she is just too "tired" to go to the hall, but yet is not too tired to do the dishes, play with the kids, or stay up until 11pm.

• Mulan
    Mulan

We invited my JW mother to come for Thanksgiving and she accepted, saying she would love to be there. Tell her that.

• NKyGuy
    NKyGuy

Well, I think I will set it out as a situation of I am going, and I am taking the kids with me, and if she wants to come she can. Otherwise, she will spend the day at home, alone.

Regardless, I cannot continue to exclude my family from the things I enjoyed as a child. Especially when I cannot find a scriptural basis for not doing so.

• teejay
    teejay
    I think I will set it out as a situation of I am going, and I am taking the kids with me, and if she wants to come she can. Otherwise, she will spend the day at home, alone.

Regardless, I cannot continue to exclude my family from the things I enjoyed as a child. Especially when I cannot find a scriptural basis for not doing so.

Good for you, NkyGuy! You have nothing to lose and your children only have things to gain.

When it came to Thanksgiving, I made up my mind lonnnng time ago: I would not deny my daughter the sublime pleasure of basking in the love, the warmth, the closeness of FAMILY that is always there, but feelings we seldom feel due to the hustle and bustle of everyday life and time constraints.

If at no other time, Thanksgiving Day is the one day of the year when we can live life to the full, with not a care in the world. I will not deny myself the experience. Not for me. Not for my daughter. No way.

• franklin J
    franklin J

In my experience with marriage; all is negotiable.

Why should this request on your part be different from any other? I could NEVER make my wife do anything she did not WANT to do. I could ask; as her husband ;that I would really like to have her with me and the kids for this extended family meal.

She will either accept or decline. And if she declines , she will have to explain her abscence to the kids; who may not be so "understanding".

I bet she accompanies you.

• Balsam
    Balsam

Just tell her to come and enjoy, and if any of her friends ask what she did, she can tell them my husband insisted on us going together to share time with family and eat turkey. She'll enjoy if it she just lets herself. Let her blame it on you, it will give her an out with the JW's.

Shoot lots of JW families had turkey on Thanksgiving and invited others over just to have time to share a meal togehter. After all Turkey is the cheapest meat available during this time. LOL

• Sassy
    Sassy

I grew up a witness and my mom was one but my dad wasn't. If dad asked us to go to a family Thanksgiving dinner, we went. Mom never made one, but she didn't have a conscious attack over a meal on Thanksgiving.

This is my first year to make my own Thanksgiving by myself.. I am looking forward to it.. although I wish I had a whole family room full of people coming for it..

Good luck..

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    I could certainly see why he would be happy. Nothing would thrill me more than having my wife decide one day to just stop going. I hold out hope every once in a while, when she is just too "tired" to go to the hall, but yet is not too tired to do the dishes, play with the kids, or stay up until 11pm.

Keep the hope up. I was laughing because you just described me! It's been so long since I've been excited about Thanksgiving...it feels good.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit