Where We Are in the Stream of Time

by Duncan 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Pole
    Pole

Slightly off-topic, but what I realized when reading the topic of this thread is that the expression "the stream of time" got translated into Polish (and some other languages) word by word by branch office translators. It must be one of those international Dub idioms.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

runningman.....What makes the statement in the 1997 Watchtower a little different, tho, is that it isn't 6,000 years of man's existence per se, but 6,000 years of the kingdom promise, and since that wasn't made (in the WTS' own tortured interpretation) until the time A&E were expelled from Paradise, that gives the whole amount of time A&E were in Eden for the Society to play with -- up until a maximum 130 years (or 100, since Cain and Abel were apparently adults before Seth was born).

• Poztate
    Poztate

?

And now, today, after six thousand years, we are living in the Book of Revelation, the last Bible book.? She has flipped through almost the entire book and now only has a very few pages between her thumb and finger. ?Can you see how short the time is remaining? This is where we are now!? She shows me the thinness of the pages between her fingers, and finished in triumph:

But after the book of Revelation comes the index.God has not revealed how long he will allow his people to study the index before the end will come.

• Duncan
    Duncan
    But after the book of Revelation comes the index

Poztate, you're right! She was using the NWT, and that has an index.

Nonetheless, she was only showing a very few pages (half a dozen, at most) between her fingers, to make her point. Do you suppose she was cheating a little bit? I hadn't even thought of that until now.

These Witnesses, they can be sneaky, can't they?

Duncan.

• willyloman
    willyloman

Look, the average witness is so starved for real spiritual food that they will grasp at any example -- like this one -- and put it to work immediately, satisfied that they are now on the cutting edge of spirituality, filled with new light and accurate knowledge. They don't stop to think how it looks to others. If it's a "new" approach, let's use it! they honestly think this identifies them as part of something special. Grasping concepts that no one else "gets" is not warning sign to them, it's PROOF that they have the TRUTH.

You expect someone with that kind of Messiah complex to do some critical thinking? Not gonna happen.

• Dawn
    Dawn

I would have asked her "On which page are the dinosaurs?"

• shotgun
    shotgun

Leo

The funny thing is that the Society cheats a little on the chronology, since almost 30 years have now passed since the 6,000 years came to an end in the official chronology. The timing is based on the "giving of the first Kingdom promise in Eden," and not on the date Adam or Eve were themselves created. How long did they live in Eden? The Bible does not say. What it does say is that Adam was 130 years old when he fathered Seth (Genesis 4:3),.... Saying that the promise was given "about 4,000 years" before 29 CE means that roughly 3970 BC was when the promise was given and this was 56 years after Adam's creation in 4026 BC (according to the Society's chronology), which fits within the range of possibilities. It would be interesting if the Society decides in the future to make more of this and turn this into a more definite "time prophecy".

Recently I went to A JW wedding, the speaker said something that flew over everyones head but mine..being the negative apostate that I am. He spoke to the groom and said it's nice that you waited until you were at a mature age before you decided to get married and then said that we know Adam was at least 29 years old when God gave him Eve....huh...then he said we know this because of Adam's creation in 4026 and 6000 years of existance being almost 30 years ago. This was a whole bunch of stupid crap used to subtly reinforce that the end is near and he even mentioned that Adam was very busy for that 30 years naming animals watching them mate and wondering where his mate was...not to mention the dork was still wandering around naked after thirty years.

Must piss God off that we discarded all those animal names that Adam worked so hard on.

• Poztate
    Poztate
    These Witnesses, they can be sneaky, can't they?

GEE...Never thought of that....

• one
    one

11:55 pm Eastern Standard Time

• one
    one

did some angels punched a hole in the ozone to take a peek again?

I need an scientific explanation to the "fact" that before the 40 rainy days some lasted close to 1000 years and right after that life span dropped to just 10 %,

or was it that Noah and company drank too much camel and horse urine while in the ark, no wonder he got drunk as soon as he could grow and smash some grapes.

i even forgot what's wt take on that one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit