Bad news about the house. : /

by Elsewhere 36 Replies latest jw friends

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Sorry to hear this, Else. :( I was looking forward to a house-warming apostafest at your place!

You should go for a house that doesn't cost as much. Homes are a great investment. We lived in an apartment for 5 years and of course don't get back a dime that we paid in rent. We've been in our house for 3 years now and could get back all the principal we've paid plus some since it has appreciated. If we were smarter, we would have moved into a smaller house sooner instead of staying in the apartment for 5 years.

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

Else, I'm sorry to hear about your setback, but, having just gone thru a tough time myself, I can tell you that it will pass and soon you will be able to buy a home AND feel good about it financially. I took a $7/hr. loss from my last job to my present job and have had to be very careful about spending..........but, the future can bring anything.........I'm keeping my hopes and options open......

Hugs,

Terri

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    If we were smarter, we would have moved into a smaller house sooner instead of staying in the apartment for 5 years.

You are absolutly right and I have been looking around at some smaller properties. I don't know how soon I will buy, but I will eventually.

• Bubbamar
    Bubbamar

I think you are shrewd to not get in over your head or too far over your comfort level. I bought a house last year and decided to buy in a neighborhood that wasn't my 1st choice but definitely a lot more affordable. I see it as an opportunity to own property and to begin building my wealth. Its just a stepping stone. I'm sure something will come along for you that is a better fit...and you will be glad you waited!

Good Luck!

• qwerty
    qwerty

Try buying property in Aspen valley!!!!

Fueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew!

My inlaws were all for buying property over here.

In the North that is!

Elsewhere- sorry though anyway, I hate it when plans don't come together.

Qwerty

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

(((ELSE)))

Sorry sweetie...

• qwerty
    qwerty

Come to Emans BBQ next Summer that'll cheer you up!

Whoops that's if he's is having 1 that is!!!!

Q

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief
    I wonder what living on Manna for 40 years did to the hebrews???

Well, the Law required them to run outside the camp and apparently they needed a peg to help them. Talk about a binding arrangement!

CZAR

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

33% isnt a bad ratio......... and If you calculate your tax savings (assuming your at 20-28% tax bracket) you would actually save money long term. Income should rise too ( a valid assumtion) and the house should increase in value..... I've been there, Else..... the noodle diet will do you some good for a year or so.........The first house I bought 20 years ago has been the keystone to all other financial dealings I have had since.

If you are buying any house at all... you should be able to write your taxable income down by at least $5000.00 a year for several years...... all while building equity. If you do it right in 5 years you should be able to finance your own car deals (or improvments) against equity and write that interest off to. This is a "risk" and a stretch that is worth the gamble.

Find a house you can afford, even if it's not your "A" choice and buy it. Equity always trumps rent receipts. When you figure all the "not so evident" angles you can't afford NOT to buy a home.

---------Hill

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Elsewhere,

I have to agree with Hillbilly's assessment. Take an extra job, but buy the house.

HS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit