Compromise

by teejay 33 Replies latest social relationships

• teejay
    teejay

One of the fundamental keys to a successful marriage. Doing stuff you wouldn't ordinarily do... stuff you don't and wouldn't ever do by nature, but you do it because you're married to this particular person. Without it a marriage is, at best, an unhappy situation; at worst, a divorce waiting to happen.

Can someone tell me why going to the meetings with my JW wife should be exempt as an area of compromise?

• avishai
    avishai

How 'bout the fact that they allowed thousand to die and be tortured and locked up in malawi over a political card, while letting brothers in Mexico get a political card? How about that they kill about as many people as died in Jonestown every YEAR thru their draconian blood policy? How about that they are still harboring pedophiles due to their to witness rule? I'd say, "The bible says not to hang out w/ lawless ones and false prophets, and the bible does'nt compromise on that!!!"

• kls
    kls

Going to the meetings is one compromise i will not do .I did in the beginning and it and destroyed me emotionally along with me kids and that is one compromise i am not willing to ever do again no matter what the consequences are.

• bigboi
    bigboi

Well, it all depends on your situation. If you want to preserve your standing, then don't start attending meetings regularly. I think it would leave you open to certain pressures that may make a bad situation worse.

• Happy Guy :)
    Happy Guy :)

Can someone tell me why going to the meetings with my JW wife should be exempt as an area of compromise?

I feel this is a personal matter. Are you looking for amuniition for arguments sake? Are you hoping to reinforce feelings you already have? I hope these questions don't seem agressive, I just don't really see how any of us can or should comment. If there was manipulation or coersion going on then commentary would make sense but you haven't mentioned that (however knowing JWs it would surprise me if their was not improper coersion). Really it comes down to how strongly you feel on this issue personally. For some it's a small price to pay and for others it's an impossible demand.

When I was married to my ex, I was not a JW and my ex was inactive for 8 months preceeding our marriage. When her mother had to go up on stage and give one of those BS skits she asked us if we could attend since she was nervous (ya sure) but we went to show family support for her. There were a couple of occasions like that. I certainly could not have made that a regular habit for the same reason I stopped going to Catholic church when I was younger. The stuff bores me out of my mind.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

For the same reason your wife would not want to participate in a Catholic, Protestant, Islamic or any other type of religious service.

If you were to trying to compel her to participate in such a thing, she would accuse you of religious persecution.

• teejay
    teejay

I didn't ask the question because I'm looking for amuniition or to reinforce any feelings I have. I ask the question out of a simple need to understand for myself why going to the meetings should be exempt as an area of compromise.

Are there any other areas you can think of in marriage where a line ought to be drawn and a married person has the "right" to say, "I won't even compromise on that"? To ex-JWs, anything JW related seems to be one of those areas. Wouldn't that then justify her refusal to compromise in other areas?

• Valis
    Valis

Maybe because compromise is a reciprocal device for getting along and something that is good and foriegn when it comes to JWs and their acceptance of other religious beliefs.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

I'd say if you don't want to go then the compromise should be on her side that you won't go.

Mike.

• Happy Guy :)
    Happy Guy :)

Are there any other areas you can think of in marriage where a line ought to be drawn and a married person has the "right" to say, "I won't even compromise on that"? To ex-JWs, anything JW related seems to be one of those areas. Wouldn't that then justify her refusal to compromise in other areas?

No doubt she probably sees it as a small compromise where, for you, it is not a small compromise. Your last comment suggests she is retaliating in some fashion. You have my sympathy my freind because now there is wall building in your marriage.

Are there any children involved?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit