Anniversary of the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald

by DevonMcBride 16 Replies latest jw friends

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    You mean it was only two years old at that point?

Yep, yep, yep. I like the song; but it is so melancholy that I have to be in the right mood to listen to it or it brings me down.

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

The Cariboo shoal.

Apparently; correct me you shipwreck purists, part of the ship is in the United States; the other part is in Canada.

I remember something vaguely about this. Given the incredible depth of Lake Superior; underlying shoals and rogue waves, an intense low pressure system over that part of Lake Superiro, I'm sure, contributed to the Edmund Fitzgerald's demise.

Considering the size of this Laker, it is, indeed, a remarkable story of shipping on the Great Lakes of North America.

There is some interesting on-line facts for trivia buffs and the curious.

I will venture to find the one I found the most intricate and most interesting of 'Great Lakes' shipwrecks on-line, and post it here...later on.

"The witch of November"...indeed.

Lake Superior facts and figures:

http://www.chippewa-hills.k12.mi.us/~pjdurbin/Lake_Superior/lake_superior.htm

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

http://home.europa.com/~random7/fitz.htm

This is a great site, albeit pretty amateur looking, but worthy of a read.

For those unfamiliar with Lake Superior, it's pretty big. The dimensions are astounding. Some countries in Europe are smaller than the lake; other lakes down the chain as well.

Square Miles: 31,700

Length: 350 miles

Width: 160 miles

Maximum Depth: 1,333 feet

Side note, the deepest lake in North America is: Great Slave Lake in Canada's Northwest Territories at 2, 015 feet deep (11,031 sq. miles).

• Mary
    Mary
    the deepest lake in North America is: Great Slave Lake in Canada's Northwest Territories at 2, 015 feet deep

Holy cow! Isn't the Titanic also about 2,000 feet down?? And that's in the middle of the North Atlantic!! One of my neighbours grew up in Wisconsin by Lake Superior.....she said that even in the hottest summers, Lake Superior is still cold......

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

In many ways Lk Superior is really a fresh-water inland sea. It creates it's own weather.

Lk Washington in the Seattle area is 35-40 miles long, N to S. It is deep in the 200+ range, and has 2 floating 4-6 lane bridges that cross it. N or S winds can whip up waves that wash completely across either bridge! I've seen waves in the S end 20" feet high!

So I can imagine the terrible storms and awesome water the storms whip up in Superior.

I started listening to Gordon Lightfoot in the early 1970s and really loved his work. Seen him in concert a couple times. I, too, didn't realize until several years later that the EF wreck was in 1975. I also love his Canadian Railroad Trilogy.

Peace

Bren

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

I vaugely remember the documentary about the ship, but forgot the reason it sank. I remember an old urban legend that it was struck by lightning and the seams came unwelded. The shipping museum in Duluth is pretty cool. We had summer district conventions there at Duluth and went to see the museum on one of those trips. Then, back over in Superior, there is this ship that they moored and filled rock and soil in around it so it looks like the ship is parked in dirt. This ship, I forget it's name, was also an ore carrier.

• RandomTask
    RandomTask

The Titanic rests at about 12,600 feet below the surface of the icy North Atlantic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit