Thousands Standing Around - does that what TSA really means

by TresHappy 10 Replies latest social current

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

Actually the Federal Screeners at all U.S. Airports - my friend called me crying last night saying she was forced to have a pat down search at the airport. She said she initially refused but was met by police and a supervisor with threats if she didn't comply. She cried the whole time...I told her to drive instead of fly...

• flower
    flower

Whats the big deal about being searched?

• Angharad
    Angharad

Maybe I'm mising something but I'm a bit confused about what the deal is - lots of people are searched in this way everyday, I was and our 6 year old was last time we went through an airport, because something on us set the metal detectors off.

The amount of people that set detectors off everyday would cause a huge delay if each one had to be taken to a private area to be patted down.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

Well, this put my former JW friend into a tizzy. I told her in the post 911 world - pat searches and things like that are the norm. She had an expired driver's license for ID - I told her that's what probably flagged her to go thru secondary screening...she's very upset about it..I don't understand it either...

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

I fly quite a bit. Every now and then I get the full search - pat down and residue stick (in the luggage, just in case you get the wrong idea). Some people are selected for specific reasons, others are selected purely at random.

It's no big deal. Tell her that the additional security should make her feel better about flying. I'm glad they do it. Sometimes it's me that gets searched, most of the time its not.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Tell her to get her pilots license and fly on her own! Hell she can buy a little cessna 150 for $12,000 bucks then she answers to nobody but herself!

• Valis
    Valis

It sucks that it has to be that way Tres, but your friend should not be naive as to think it might not happen. Buy your ticket and take your ride as it were. I've seen more old ladies searched than anyone else. Dam Al-Queda usin granny to blow up planes.. I have been very fortunate in my travels and have not been searched by the TSA people, however when i last came back from Green bay there were a couple TSA chickies I would have surrendered my pants to.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• gumby
    gumby

When I went to Dallas for the fest......two old ladies got searched across from me, and my suspicious lookin arse gets by scott free. Who the hells scott anyways?

Gumby

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

At the Honolulu airport they made me take off my flip flops and they looked at the bottoms of my bare feet.

At the San Diego AP, I had forgotten a tiny pair of curved scissors in my luggage, so I got searched. The security people were very nice guys. They did want to know what each of the vitamins and herb capsules I had in ziplock baggies were. I explained and they let me board the flight, even allowing me to keep my scissors since I needed them for medical purposes. I didn't get patted down, but I did get the hand held scanner thingy all up and down my armpits and inner thighs.

I took it all in stride. It did make me feel safer. Until I saw Fahrenheit 9/11 that is. You know, the part about the baby formula and how many books of matches you are allowed to take on a flight.

• gumby
    gumby
    I didn't get patted down, but I did get the hand held scanner thingy all up and down my armpits and inner thighs.

Ooooh baby! Looks like gumbys gonna start flyin more. I'd give a good lookin attendant about an hour to run a scanner up and down my inner thigh.....then I'd hafta say sumthin.

Gumby

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit