Danni

by teejay 21 Replies latest social relationships

• teejay
    teejay

I had a friend once. His name was Shelton. In his own way, he was the best friend I ever had.

When it came to women, Shelton had a theory: Meet a ton of 'em. Talk to 'em, date 'em, fuck 'em. Do whatever you have to do to get to know them. He felt that you had to "go through" (his term) ? go through ? a bunch of them to meet the right one. I had no problem with his theory. Based on my own limited JW-influenced experience, his theory had considerable merit in my view.

One time and one time only, he told me about Danni.

I never met her. Never talked to her. Never laid eyes on her. To this day... never had a clue to who, what, where, or when she was. As far as I'm concerned, she coulda been a figment of Shelton's imagination. Still... one thing he said about her struck me like a hard-balled fist right upside the noggin. Whether she was real or fake, what he said jarred me from where I was right then to a place I've looked for ever since. And, to my regret, I have not been able to find it.

What he said she said was (paraphrasing), "I love you not only because of the man I see in front of me but because of all of what I know you can be."

We were in a cafe when he told me what Danni had said, and when he did (as tears came to my eyes) I slammed the table and asked him why the fuck didn't he stay with *that* woman!? I've been looking for her my whole life, goddammit.

Of course she was just feeding him a line, the cynical part of my brain said. Nothing but a line. Still, all I could think was: "You mean she actually saw the good in you? Saw it and you didn't? And you let her go?"

It was a dream of mine... a dream that there is a woman who actually sees the good in me. Who doesn't judge... doesn't bring her own personal baggage when looking at me. A woman who doesn't bring along her own personal judge and jury.

I got mad, even then when I was a wavering Dub. Instantly. Who I was mad at... Shelton or Danni, I don't know. All I know is that... like I told him... I've been looking my whole life for what he'd passed up without thinking twice.

A girl named "Danni."

• Valis
    Valis
    "I love you not only because of the man I see in front of me but because of all of what I know you can be."

sounds like a stage mom to me.. *LOL*

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• teejay
    teejay

Could be, valis.

I liked the way the words sounded, though. Still do.

• Scully
    Scully

Powerful stuff, teejay.

"I love you not only because of the man I see in front of me but because of all of what I know you can be."

There is a huge risk in loving someone *that* much - because what if they are afraid to (or can't) love you back *that* much?? Another risk is being willing to face disappointment that the person you love *that* much doesn't want "all of what I know you can be".... maybe that's why your friend had to let her go...

Love, Scully

• Sassy
    Sassy

men..

most of us women can feel that way.

why do you think I stay with the man I am with.. because I see more in him than he is..

and I know who he can be.. and even who he wants to be..

I am just trying to be there with him to help him get there.. and it isn't always a line..

as a matter of fact, usually it is much more

• teejay
    teejay

I agree, Sister Scully.

There *is* a risk in "loving someone *that* much." But don?t we love at our own risk? That being the case, why not love someone in whom we see "potential," however we personally define the word? Danni saw it (or said she did) in Shelton.

If a woman ever said that to me, I'd latch onto her forever. At least I think I would.

• FallGirl
    FallGirl

Pretty deep statment.

It was a dream of mine... a dream that there is a woman who actually sees the good in me. Who doesn't judge... doesn't bring her own personal baggage when looking at me. A woman who doesn't bring along her own personal judge and jury.

My question is this: are you willing to go into a relationship looking for the good and past her baggage and hurt?

Just something I've been reading lately helped me to see that I've got to be willing to work past the negatives that initially jump out in order to get deep down into the positives.

Anyway...thanks for sharing...that's a pretty profound statement. (here's to hoping it wasn't a line...)

• teejay
    teejay
    men..

Funny how a three letter word can say so much, eh sexy Sassy?

Let's face it: We stupid... us men. Trust me. It's how (most of us) are raised. But that's another thread. Rat-chere, I'm talkin' 'bout the fictitious Danni.

• Mecurious?
    Mecurious?

Man, I feel pretty lucky to have found someone who fits this description, who believes in me and stuck with me wether up-down, thick or thin, rich or poor. Yes, she is true blue through and through. And I believe she is as rare as pearls too.

M'

Edited to add: I'm just trying to figure out how to tell my wife about her.

• FallGirl
    FallGirl
    Edited to add: I'm just trying to figure out how to tell my wife about her.

WHAT A BRAT!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit