When You Try To Reason With Someone About The "Truth", What's Your Focus?

by minimus 21 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Do you concentrate on the lack of love, the doctrines, the flip-flops, the UN debacle, child molestation-----what???

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

Recently I spoke with someone and the one question I focused on was "How does God communicate with them? If the are God's Channel how does this happen?"

• JH
    JH

All that you mentioned above but mostly, lack of love and false dates. I'll talk about what I've experienced while being a witness. I didn't experience or see molestation, so I wouldn't talk about that.

I would also mention the total control they want on everybody. Really unacceptable.

• blondie
    blondie

Lack of love and the child molestation issues since I have personal experiences with that.

• boy@crossroads
    boy@crossroads

I had a discussion with my brother the other day about issues i have with the witnesses. One of the recurring issues i tend to focus on and what i think ultimately is my main concern is the control that they have over peoples lives. I don't like how they make everybody do what they say !! and how you aren't allowed to question things. Hello !! what are they so afraid of us finding out ?

But no matter how much i try to reason with my brother he always finds a way of coming out on top of the argument. so most of the time i'll just say my point and then change the subject. Its just hard to reason with someone that see's the world with such a bias. I can really see how people don't like witnesses

• jb
    jb

I just had a talk with my JW parents. I decided to focus on the only thing I know to be true, that Jesus sacrificed his life for me. I don't know what I believe on the issues of Hell, Armageddon,or the new system. I don't know alot, but the one piece I do know is greater they any double talk they can come up with.

That was three weeks ago.....haven't heard from them since

• target
    target

New Light. If it were from Jehovah, it would have been right in the first place and would not need updating. No new light in the old testament. So what is current light now is old light next year. Why would Jehovah give them the wrong understanding to start with?

That is the stuff that always bothered me so that is what I bring up. Of course now I know it was all a fairly tale anyhow.

Target

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Welcome Boy@ and JB - Glad you're here!

I don't talk about "it" with my parents nor family. I just don't allow it anymore, as it becomes abusive and they show no respect. If they push I bring up the "new light" and false prophesies. Also that Jesus died for all of the world, not just JW's. Then suggest that they drop it or I'll leave. Usually shuts em up.

This board has given me other fodder ie the UN Scandal and the severe child and wife abuses. I have my own JW abuse issues, so I can speak from experience.

We only get witnesses at our door once or twice a year, and it depends on how I feel as to whether I confront them, or just not answer. I don't work anymore, and when I did, I was in a tech field, so I just didn't have any JW co-workers.

Peace

Bren

• minimus
    minimus

I find that "defending" the beliefs is a good way to get people to think. Tell people JWs don't celebrate birthdays because 2 pagans got murdered in the Bible. Honestly tell them JWs won't lie, they just use "theocratic strategy". Explain it. Tell them JWS view toward disfellowshipped ones and "worldy" people.

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

To be most effective, you would want to know their focus, not yours. Of course due to personal experiences some might be more effective with certain issues than others, provided the other is somewhat open to listening. But more to the point it is a matter of focusing on people rather than issues, (or their issues) which is of course a big part of what organizations like the JWs are missing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit