Elder told me Voting was a conscience matter

by confusedjw 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Happy Guy :)
    Happy Guy :)

Uhm confusedjw I accuse you of practically plagerizing my post ...or could it be that great minds think alike?

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/80065/1301987/post.ashx#1301987

Where it it says on a related topic but referring to the same Q&A.....

Does anyone see any instance of automatic DA or possible DF'ing in this article? I think someone should email the writer of that article and pass on this QFR to show that the elder is WRONG in his assumption.

Not in that particular Q & A. but the article makes it abundantly clear (in that typical WT vague sort of way where contentious issues are involved) that JWs are expected not to vote. As well the elder in the article never said it was an automatic DA or DF. What he said was:

Ragan said the congregation would make efforts to return such a person to good standing in the church - but also held out the prospect of complete shunning, or "disfellowshiping."

Now even though the Q&A doesn't actually itself say anything about DA or DF (let alone an automatic one) notice the criteria involved in these scenerios as spelled out in the Q&A :

The November 15, 1950, issue of The Watchtower, on pages 445 and 446, said: "Where Caesar makes it compulsory for citizens to vote . . . [Witnesses] can go to the polls and enter the voting booths.

What if a Christian woman?s unbelieving husband insists that she present herself to vote? Well, she is subject to her husband, just as Christians are subject to the superior authorities. (Ephesians 5:22; 1 Peter 2:13-17) If she obeys her husband and goes to the polling booth, that is her personal decision. No one should criticize her.?

What of a country where voting is not mandated by law but feelings run high against those who do not go to the voting booth?perhaps they are exposed to physical danger? Or what if individuals, while not legally obliged to vote, are severely penalized in some way if they do not go to the polling booth? In these and similar situations, a Christian has to make his own decision. "Each one will carry his own load."?

Now compare that against what is expected of JWs where the above scenerios of force or coersion is not involved:

First, Jesus Christ said of his followers: "They are no part of the world, just as I am no part of the world." (John 17:14) Jehovah?s Witnesses take this principle seriously. Being "no part of the world," they are neutral in the political affairs of the world.?

As representatives of God?s heavenly Kingdom, Jehovah?s Witnesses feel a similar obligation not to interfere in the politics of the countries where they reside.

Fourth, Jehovah?s Witnesses greatly value their Christian unity. (Colossians 3:14) When religions get involved in politics, the result is often division among their members. In imitation of Jesus Christ, Jehovah?s Witnesses avoid becoming involved in politics and thus maintain their Christian unity and you all know that "causing division" is a Disfellowshipping offense.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit