Anyone See The Grudge?

by Nancy Drake 20 Replies latest social entertainment

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    The closest i've seen lately to a good scarey movie is 'Darkness Falls'. It's a story about the tooth fairy.

I don't know why, but this statement first struck me as "funny" , then creepy

• WildHorses
    WildHorses
    I don't know why, but this statement first struck me as "funny" , then creepy

Creepy would be a good word to describe it.

Here is a summary written by a viewer.

"

Plot Summary for
    Darkness Falls ( 2003 )

When he was a young boy, Kyle (Chaney Kley) claimed that while he was sleeping, he accidentally woke up and saw the Tooth Fairy, who tried to kill him. Since then, he was considered crazy by everyone in town, except for his childhood girlfriend, Caitlin (Emma Caulfield), and her younger brother. But now, Hell is coming back as that black haired, winged creature of doom that Kyle described is coming back to town. And she's not leaving without Caitlin's brother...

Summary written by Will

In the 1800's there was a woman that little children would take their old teeth (ones they had recently lost) to in exchange for a gold coin. A few years later, tragedy struck her, first a fire in her house which caused her to not be able to go into any type of light, and then she was hanged. There's a story that goes around the town of Darkness Falls about her, and she's called the Tooth Fairy. The story goes that she can't go in the light, and if you wake up and see her, she'll kill you. The usual saying is "Don't Peek." Well, there is a boy named Kyle who gets a warning from his friend Caitlin to not peek. Well, he wakes up on the night when the Tooth Fairy is supposed to come and get his last tooth and sees her. It all leads to more tragedy and the movie jumps to 12 years later. Now grown up, Caitlin (emma caulfield) calls Kyle (chaney kley) because her little brother Michael (lee cormie) is going through the same things he did as a boy, and wants his help. Kyle goes back to Darkness Falls to face his past, and the woman in the porceline mask (aka the Tooth Fairy)"

• Snowcrash
    Snowcrash

I saw it yesterday. I liked it a lot, but wasn't really scared by it. It could have been because the women behind me kept screaming so loud at every scare that I couldn't stop laughing. Some women are just good screamers, and this woman had the vocal chords of an opera singer.

To call The Grudge a rip off of The Ring is a little unfair. Both of them are remakes of Japanese horror movies. It would be like calling Friday the 13th a rip off of Halloween. Both are similar in premise: Man in white mask kills shrieking girls with questionable morals. But both movies have moments that really make them shine and deserve their own place in horror movie history. Many aspects of horror are tailored to the culture they come from, but at the very base of each story is a universal theme. Since both movies are dripping with elements of the Japanese sense of horror, they're going to have a similar feeling to them, just as Halloween and Friday the 13th contain the similar elements that our culture puts into its horror.

I thought the pacing of The Grudge was excellent, but the musical cues made the scare scenes entirely too obvious. It's obvious in a lot of movies, but for The Grudge it was really bad. Overall, though, I thought it rocked. Maybe I'll be more scared if I see it alone, without a woman singing Dido's Lament behind me.

• glitter
    glitter

I watched the Japanese one today - confusing more than scary.

• Purza
    Purza

My 14 y/o daughter went to see it last night. She said it "sucked" and wasted $9.50. She also said she thought it was very close to "The Ring" (which she really liked).

Purza

• ignored_one
    ignored_one

Isn't Saw out this weekend in the US?

Watched it over here a few weeks ago. Really enjoyed it, but not for weak stomaches.

-

Ignored One.

• Brummie
    Brummie

Weeeell I saw it tonight....I have never jumped so many times, it was eeeeeerie. It ended a bit funny, they must be planning part 2. This was a scarey film, it kept me anxious all the way through waiting for more quick screaming faces, trying to prepare myself so that I wouldnt jump made it worse...I havent been anxious while watching a film since I was a kid watching the legend of hell house.

I watched it in the dark all alone, arnt I brave though?

Brummie

• ignored_one
    ignored_one

Brummie I recommend renting A Tale of Two Sisters. It came out a few weeks after Ju-On (Original version) came out earlier this year.

Another good scary flick.

-

Ignored One.

• Brummie
    Brummie

Thx ignored, I'll try to get a hold of it this week, I like being scared shitless, strange en I.

Brummie

• red so deep
    red so deep

yeah it was kind of a typical haunted house story, but it had some great visuals, ala-the ring...which i think was a better movie.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit