Do you remember when meetings had intermission??

by Jez 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Jez
    Jez

About 20 to 25 years ago, there was a brief time where there was an intermission in between the public talk and the WT study. It was about 10 mins long. Gave ppl time to walk around, go to the bathroom etc. One time this cute shy older brother who could barely muster the strength to say 2 words said, "Brothers and Sisters, it is now time for the intercourse to begin."

Does anyone here remember intermission? or intercourse during intermission? lol.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I remember intermission for the Sunday meeting.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz
    "Brothers and Sisters, it is now time for the intercourse to begin."

Jez, you're going to get me in trouble !! I'm in the library at school and busted out laughing when I read that. Now everyone's looking at me funny .

• Jez
    Jez

You are too cute stinky. I laughed at your laugh.

• JH
    JH

I can just imagine brothers and sisters going outside for a smoke during the intermission, in those days when it was ok to smoke.

• willyloman
    willyloman

When I was a cub dub, I went to another congo for a meeting one time and they took a 10 minute break after the talk, before the WT study.

I inquired why, and was told they always did so because it allowed publishers who had brought bible studies and "other interested ones" a few minutes to walk them out to the car and chat. That made some sense to me at the time. Only later did I find out that while this had been done away with in most congos, it used to be a common practice. And one reason was so some could go out in back of the hall and grab a smoke. Smoking became a DF'ing offense in '72 or '73, as I recall, and I suspect (altho I was not part of the group then) it was that doctrinal change that led to the demise of the 10 minute break. Discussing all this with an elder one time, his theory was that too many people left during the break so they stopped doing it.

Perhaps some old timers can shed more light.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I ALWAYS took a break on Sunday, running to bathroom between meetings.

TresHappy of the Bladder the Size of a Peanut Class

• Special K
    Special K

Yes, as a very young girl I remember them having about a 10 minute break in between Sunday Talk and Watchtower Study.

They stopped it because it gave to much of an opportunity for people to exit and go home.

Special K

• Brummie
    Brummie
    "Brothers and Sisters, it is now time for the intercourse to begin."

Hahaha!

Yes I remember the intermissions, always looked for to them too.

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

Yes, I do remember when we had the intermissions between the Public Talk and Watchtower Study. I was very dissapointed when they did away with it.

But, for us young people in the congregation, we took the break anyway, even after they did away with the official intermission. We used to congregate around the water fountain and bathrooms during the song between the meetings. The elders would try to put a stop to that, but it never really worked. There were always a lot of thirsty kids and teens in our Hall.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit