blaspheme the son of man

by peacefulpete 10 Replies latest watchtower bible

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Mark and Q (mark knew Q) include an expression that has perplexed theologians for centuries. (Mark 3:28,Luke12:10,Matt 12:32) that asserts, "Everyone that speaks a word against the son of man will be forgiven, but he who blasphemes the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven". Mark adds the idea of eternity and Matt paraphases him with "this age or that to come".

There was a Messianic current that saw the expression "son of man" as more than simply meaning "humankind" but as a proper title. Both interpretations seem to be present in Mark (and those who used him). The simplest reading of the Q expression is that the author was saying simply that offfending humans was forgivable but not offending God. It was only when the expression "son of man" was read as a Messsianic title that the passage became enigmatic.

Discussion invited.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

My reply got eaten, thanks to Simon's server temporarily going down. *sigh*

In gist, I said that "Son of Man" as a christological or messianic title has a rather limited use, with an eschatological or apocalyptic focus -- especially with the Final Judgment (cf. also 1 Enoch). The Semitic figure of speech, which also occurs widely in the gospels, has a much broader usage and is non-christological -- as PP points out.

Good to see you back.

• toreador
    toreador
    (cf. also 1 Enoch).

What does "cf." mean?

thanks,

Tor

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

If you just don't get it about Jesus, it mightn't hold you back - you may even be a Samaritan

But the person who's word (husband - though I was their husband, says the LORD) is against the Spirit that is holy does not grow spiritually (fore-giveness - it is God who gives the growth)

Who sees Jesus' explanations as threats ?

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Hey Leolaia, What a mess it has been buying this house. My buyer walked at the closing, "because he changed his mind"! My lawyer convinced him to return or be sued. Then I found the new place was zoned differently then it was listed and so I can't live there! We had started demolition over the weekend and so could not recind the sale without replacing the moldy carpet and paneling! Long story short, I'm screwed.

Anyway, another controvertial verse that uses the "the son of man" expresssion is Mark 2:10,: "the son of man has authority on earth to forgive sins". The author of Matt understands the expression to mean simply that humans can forgive sins by having the crowd "glorify God who had given such authority to men" .

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

toreador, cf. means "see also" or "compare"

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Where are you living at now? Can you sue the agency that erroneously listed the property for the money you wasted because of their error? It seems that everything has been going against you lately.

There is a great book I just found that I highly recommend by George W. E. Nickelsburg titled Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins: Diversity, Continuity, and Transformation (2003). It is written for the layperson in non-technical English and it covers nicely the intellectual and religious diversity of early Judaism and Christianity....really great introduction for the novice. It has a nice discussion of the Enochian "Son of Man" personage which lies behind the "Son of Man" mentioned in the gospels and how it combines four separate streams of tradition: (1) Daniel 7, (2) the Servant of Yahweh in Isaiah 49, (3) The Davidic royal tradition of Psalm 2 and Isaiah 11, and (4) the Wisdom tradition (cf. Proverbs 8, Sirach 24, Wisdom of Solomon). The eschatological focus is the same in 1 Enoch as in the gospels:

"He is the Lord's Anointed One (1 Enoch 48:8-10) and, as such, as the executor of God's justice against the rebel kings of the earth. His wise judgment is informed by the Spirit of God (1 Enoch 29:3-4; 62:2-3)...The functions of the Son of Man/Chosen One are primarily judicial, building on the notion that the king is responsible for justice and especially for maintaining the vindicating the rights of the oppressed. The judgment envisioned here, however, is eschatological. The destruction of Israel's powerful and royal opponents is final, as are the blessings that await the righteous (1 Enoch 62:13-16)" (pp. 104-105).

There seem to be three main senses of "son of man" or "son of Adam" in Judaism: (1) as an insignificant creature (cf. Job 24:4-6, "How much less a human, who is a maggot, and a son of man, who is a worm"), (2) as human beings in general (cf. Psalm 8:3-6, "What are humans that you should regard them, and sons of man that you attend them? You made them a little lower than God and crowned them with glory and honor"), and as the (3) apocalyptic figure described above, which represents a late development. The apocalyptic figure is clearly mentioned in Mark 8:38, 13:26, 14:62, and synoptic parallels to these verses, while the older Semitic idiom relates to sayings like Mark 2:10 or Mark 2:28, which merely relate to the authority of humans in the earthly sphere. There are other sayings where "son of man" might function as an impersonal way of saying "I", without necessarily claiming a christological title.

• toreador
    toreador
    toreador, cf. means "see also" or "compare"

Thank you Pete. I should have known that I guess but wasnt sure.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Leolaia, I'm living in Wisconsin. The place we bought is on a small lake, (hence desirable and maketable as a seasonal cottage) so the actual financial damages to me are less than the attorney fees involved in suing. Oh well, I've got a project to do this winter. I'll check out the book thanks. How's the career going?

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Hi PP,

Sorry to hear what you're going through...

One of the best examples IMO for the "common" meaning of "son of man" is the proverbial Q logion in Matthew 8:20 // Luke 9:57:

Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the son of man has nowhere to lay his head.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit