Sad Update on Abuser

by Amazing1914 21 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Amazing1914
    Amazing1914

Hi folks,

Many of you may recall my account of Sil's dad. He was arrested in early 2002, put on trial in 2003, and spent 6 months of a five year sentence in jail for molesting a young girl of twelve. NBC Dateline followed this story for a while from behind the scenes, but did not include it in their famous showing in June 2002. NBC followed up with me for a while after the show aired, but have not done so recently.

When he got out of jail, he was allowed to keep custody of his young grandson who was about 4 or 5 at the time. The judge and prosecutor could only warn Child Services. It was up to Child Services to make the crucial decision. They chose unwisely. Here is what recently happened.

Sil's dad was arrested again after he failed several lie detector tests. In his state, a convicted child molester can be arrested and their parole revoked if they fail quarterly lie detector tests. Evidently, based on the lie detector results, it is suspected he molested his young grandson who lives with him. This issue is in progress, so I will let you know the outcome as it happens.

The problem with all of this is that this man may have been counseled many years by the local JW Elders, but do to their policies of not reporting this crime to authorities, he was never dealt with before now. Although, to be intellectually fair and honest, he may never have revealed past crimes to the Elders. We know he did reveal this to the Elders when he was first arrested in 2002 because it was also in the newspapers - and the Elders reproved him. That said, if he confessed additional crimes to the Elders, the authorities would still not know about it as they should.

Additionally, while we all know how the JW / Watchtower policies have allowed this problem to continue among their ranks, we have to strongly hold the same level of accounting regarding Child Services in many locations and in some states. As citizens, we need to have the best professional people in child services involved, as well as better laws. We don't want innocent parents and family being wrongly accused of this crime, but we also don't want situations like this one, where the molester gets to have continued access to minors in his own home.

I hope that when some of you see situations similar to this one show up in the news media, that maybe some of you can take some time to get involved in community activism and demand better from our government servants. They work for us, and we pay a huge price for such service. We at least have the right to demand accountability from them too, as well as needed changes in their procedures.

Thanks, Jim W.

PS: This post should be moved to the Child Abuse section in a couple of days.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Noooo!
    That's horrific news!

Thanks for the update Jim, and all your hard work behind the scenes.

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

How could they have put that poor child with a convicted sex offender?! And why did he only serve 6 months when he was sentenced to 5 years?! I hate that! Poor little boy. :(

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Poor baby. I hope he will get the help he needs, and may that disgusting abuser get everything that's coming to him and more.

Nina

• kls
    kls

Hello Amazing always nice to hear from you.......These stories make me ill to the pit of my stomach and so angry how anyone could do this to a child because of their own sick sexual demons.

• blondie
    blondie
    When he got out of jail, he was allowed to keep custody of his young grandson who was about 4 or 5 at the time. The judge and prosecutor could only warn Child Services.

Who allowed him to keep custody? Was there no one else better, another close family relative perhaps? I assume it was not the judge or prosecutor since you say they could only warn Child Services? Was another judge or legal entity involved?

Keep us posted on what Child Services does.

Blondie

• Special K
    Special K

Darn. So sad for the victims.

The childmolesters 5 year old grandson seems to have been victimized, in a way, by the government as well.

Sad, sad story.

Special K

• Corvin
    Corvin
    Who allowed him to keep custody? Was there no one else better, another close family relative perhaps? I assume it was not the judge or prosecutor since you say they could only warn Child Services? Was another judge or legal entity involved?

Yes, I am hung up over that incredibly irresponsible decision. Circumstances like that should not happen in this day an age. How can they just ignore the welfare of a 5 year old child obviously at risk?

Corvin

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Looks like the kid should be able to retire on the lawsuit money from that screwup!

• Mary
    Mary
    How could they have put that poor child with a convicted sex offender?!

Hey, they gave O.J. full custody of his kids after he murdered their mother, so I guess this shouldn't surprise us.......sick bastard.............

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit