Job

by kwintestal 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

What religion was Job?

He was the greatest in the Orient, so he obviously wasn't an Israelite yet he was considered a friend of Jehovah.

The Israelites at the time were God's chosen ones. Since Job wasn't one of them, does this prove that God accepts more than one religion?

Any ideas?

Kwin

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

good question. i think after my God sicced satan on me i'd have changed religionsand found a nicer god myself lol

• Will Power
    Will Power

Hi kwin

Question:

The Israelites at the time were God's chosen ones.

says who? the Isrealites?

Abraham is said to be the father of 3 different religions. Do you think that each refer to themselves as the Right One?

Doesn't the bible say that the belief in God is what is necessary? (Remember the org is only one that says you must be a member of their club before god will acknowledge you)

I told my kids that as soon as you stop believing in Santa Claus - he stops coming - make sense?

Concepts of God vary, but when you try to put it into a box and limit expression and thoughts - God gets turned into a thing that people like to "manage" - so it seems.

will

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I like the story of Job. It's got a great twist at the end.
    The hero survives, but has a face to face confrontation with a talking whirlwind!

• Princess
    Princess

Where's Gumby? He must have a comment or two about Job and his bitchy wife.

The Job story always bothered me. You can't just replace your children with a new set like that. As I recall, he kept the bitchy wife too.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I heard he got an extra wife, too, after the first one ran off with the whippersnapper.

LT, "making it up as he goes along" class

• Princess
    Princess

Did the new wife know all the baggage he was carrying to the relationship?

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

that would be like marrying pigpen from charlie brown.. always that dark cloud following him around.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Do they ever?

She was called Mary, and had a little lamb of her own.
    I think Job was just getting a little too greedy, and was looking for a fresh infusion to the genepool, given that he owned all the other sheep. After all, he bought them off of Shem for a pig and a packet of Marlboros. Anyhow how was he to know that the pig would cause so much trouble, causing future generations to swear off eating them?

• kwintestal
    kwintestal
    The Israelites at the time were God's chosen ones.

says who? the Isrealites?

I guess going by the Mosaic account, it would be the Israelites opinion. Also JW doctrine.

The point that I'm getting at is this belief contradicts the JW teaching taken from Eph. 4: 5 "one Lord, one faith, one baptism". The JW's take this to mean that there is only one religion that is right. (Rs. pg 332 "What makes you think there is only one religion that is right?")

So, did Job practice the same religion as the Isrealites? If so, then how did he come to this belief? I think it would be safer to say that he didn't, that he just had faith in God. How was Job God's friend if there is only "one faith" that more then likely Job was no part of?

Anyhow how was he to know that the pig would cause so much trouble, causing future generations to swear off eating them?

He could have easily not gotten into this situation if he had just checked their feet before he finalised the deal.

Kwin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit