Universe's 6,000th birthday ...

by nowuask 17 Replies latest watchtower bible

• nowuask
    nowuask

Friday October 22, 2004
    The Guardian
    Britain's geologists are about to celebrate the fact that the universe is exactly 6,000 years old.

At 6pm tonight at the Geological Society of London, scientists will raise their glasses to James Ussher, Archbishop of Armagh (below), who in 1650 used the chronology of the Bible to calculate the precise date and moment of creation.

Working from the book of Genesis, and risking some speculation on the Hebrew calendar, he calculated that it began at 6pm on Saturday October 22, 4004 BC.

Actually, he put the date at October 23, and then pedantically realised that time must have begun the night before, because the Bible said that "the evening and the morning were the first day."

The geologists selected the anniversary for a day-long conference on some of the fakes, frauds and hoaxes that have plagued geological and palaeontological research for centuries. "It's not that we think Archbishop Ussher's date was a fraud," said Ted Nield, the society's communications officer. "It's just that it was spectacularly wrong."

Dr Nield conceded, too, that in toasting the archbishop's calculations the geologists were committing another error. More than 6,000 years have passed since 4004 BC. The symmetry is only apparent. The date is a mere numerological reflection. The real anniversary passed unnoticed, in 1997.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Oh... never mind.

Happy non-milleniversary Universe!

For it's a jolly good fellow...

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Triplicate message (I blame the server)

Scroll down!

| |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    V

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Keep going! Nothing to see here!

|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    V

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    More than 6,000 years have passed since 4004 BC. The symmetry is only apparent. The date is a mere numerological reflection. The real anniversary passed unnoticed, in 1997.

I was going to say this when I saw the title. In fact, the anniversary was in 1996, as the Bish included a zero year between BC and AD. The real date of creation was in 4005 BC. Interestingly, the WT's date of 4026 BC differs from this by 21 years, as they probably used 607BC as a pivotal date where anyone else might use 586.

• willyloman
    willyloman

So, depending on how long Adam lived before Eve was created, I guess we can expect to see the end any time now, right?

• Flash
    Flash
    Britain's geologists are about to celebrate the fact that the universe is exactly 6,000 years old.

I never bought this from the GB and I'm not buying now!

It's funny to me that people would even consider it. LOL

• Satanus
    Satanus

I'll drink some porto to that Cheers.

S

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Wow! Britain's geologists have an awesome sense of humor!

SNG

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

I've seen that date 4004 B.C. somewhere before. Since most of the publications I have read during my lifetime regarding the Bible have been from the Watchtower Society, I wonder if they ever used that date a long long time ago before they came up with 4026 B.C. as the date of Adam's creation. Anybody know?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit