JEWS KNOW NOTHING ABOUT DE BIBLE!!

by Mary 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary

I was invited over to some Witnesses' home for supper the other night. These are nice people even though they still are blinded by this religion so I accepted their invitation. Anyway we got talking about the bible (naturally) and his wife commented on the scripture where that one guy asks Jesus about waiting until he had buried his father before he becomes a follower of His. Jesus of course replies with the "let the dead bury the dead" which of course sounds quite harsh and uncaring.

I had discussed this with a Jewish person I know who had a double Doctorate in Religion (with emphasis on the NT) and Philosophy on what this scripture could possibly mean. Basically he said that Jesus was probably referring to the fact that the Jews used the ossuaries to bury their family members back then. When someone died, they laid their bodies in a cave for one year, then they would collect the bones and place them in the ossuary. The fact that it took a year until you actually "buried" them, he said that in effect Jesus was telling this man not to wait a year before following him, because his father was already dead. (although there were two parts to the funeral service: putting the body in a cave and then putting the bones in the ossuary, hence the saying : "Let the dead bury the dead").

So I explained what I had learned to the Witness couple and their first comments were "Wow! That makes alot of sense!" and "Isn't that interesting, I never thought if it like that before!" I was finally asked "...which publication did you read that in? I don't recall seeing that?" When I told them where I had learned this from, you could see the disappointment on their faces that this wasn't "New Light" from the F&DS, but from (gasp!) a worldly person and a Jew to boot!! The wife then said to me "....Well I don't think we can rely on anything a Jew says. After all, what do they know about the Christian-Greek Scriptures?"

So there ya have it; the Jews don't know squat about the NT, only the Writing Committee does. When I pointed out that the bible is a history of the Jews and that it was written by Jews, she said "well they might have been Jews by race, but they were really Witnesses of Jehovah".

I made my exit shortly after that.

• RunningMan
  • RunningMan
    RunningMan

Based on my previous post, it appears that I know nothin about nothin.

Anyway, I was going to comment on those crazy Jews. They don't even believe that Jerusalem was destroyed in 607. They think that the temple was destroyed on the 9th day of the month of Av in the year 586 BC. Funny, how precise they can be with the date, when they are 20 years out.....

• Balsam
    Balsam

That final comment by the witnesses gal was so typical of the ignorance that used to just irritate the heck out of me while I was a witness. The snide superior attitude that only the WTS knew at all. My ex-husband who was a JW too would say such thinks too while acting all special. I would just shake my head with the incredible ignorance. Funny how I tolerated it as long as I did. With the JW frowning on education it is no wonder they viewed people with education with a negative attitude. And Jews even more so for not believing in Jesus. It is funny this jw women did not even ask if the Jewish man was a Christian or not. Jewish predjudice still affect people thinking everywhere even in the Churches today.

• Mary
    Mary
    They don't even believe that Jerusalem was destroyed in 607. They think that the temple was destroyed on the 9th day of the month of Av in the year 586 BC.

Well apparently, that's cause Satan de Debbil went and changed all the physical evidence that pointed to 607 BCE, as he knew that he was gonna have to duke it out with Jesus in 1914 - end of story.

• kls
    kls

That was hysterical to read . It all made perfect sense till they heard where the logic came from,,,,,lol

• outbutnotdown
    outbutnotdown

Mary said, regarding Running Man's post:

They don't even believe that Jerusalem was destroyed in 607. They think that the temple was destroyed on the 9th day of the month of Av in the year 586 BC.

Well apparently, that's cause Satan de Debbil went and changed all the physical evidence that pointed to 607 BCE, as he knew that he was gonna have to duke it out with Jesus in 1914 - end of story.

Too funny!!! It's amazing how narrow-minded people can become when there's this evil creature, Satan there to blame for everything.

I've been going out with the guy for beers ever since I got disfellowhipped, and he promised me that he never did any such thing. He does however get a little bit of satisfaction of watching the little Smrf dolls talk and do other BAD things to the JW's. That one, he does own up to.

Brad

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride
    "....Well I don't think we can rely on anything a Jew says. After all, what do they know about the Christian-Greek Scriptures?"

Regardless of the man's religion, he has a doctorate in Religion, which is more than what the Witnesses have.

Although, most Jews don't know much about the NT or the Christian Greek Scriptures because that part of the bible is irrelevant to their beliefs. They DO know the Hebrew scriptures which is different from the Old Testament. Judaism is the only religion that I know of that encourages all members to study Hebrew and most of the Jews I know, can read the bible in the words God wrote them....in Hebrew. My Jewish relatives were able to read, write and speak Biblical Hebrew fluently by the age of 10.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The possibility that the text (Matthew 8:21-22; Luke 9:59) assumes such a "second burial" is discussed by E. M. Myers (Jewish Ossuaries: Reburial and Rebirth, 1971, p. 54), which is probably the source of your friend's information. Myers considers that Jesus' harsh statement about the "dead burying the dead" could have regarded such second burials as "a rather excessive display of piety" (p. 54). However the text is not specific about the situation and there are other possibilities, such as a request by the son to complete his father's burial by mourning for the customary week (as suggested by Jeremias; compare Genesis 50:10, 2 Samuel 31:13; Sirach 22:12; Joseph and Asenath 10:17).

I think the key to understanding the passage is by recognizing its dependence on the call of Elisha in 1 Kings 19:19-21, which was also utilized in Matthew 4:18-22 in the call of the disciples. There Elisha asked Elijah for permission to say farewall to his parents: "Let me (anastrephe) kiss my father (ton patera mou) and my mother, and then I will follow after you (akolouthésó opisó sou)". Compare with the text in Matthew: "Teacher, I will follow you (akolouthésó soi) wherever you go ... Lord, let me (epitrepson) first to go and bury my father (ton patera mou)." But Jesus said to him, "Follow (akolouthei) me, and let the dead to bury their own dead". The story in the gospels is modelled on that in 1 Kings, except with one crucial difference: Elijah grants Elisha permission to kiss his father and mother, whereas for Jesus, family and possessions are to be forsaken on the spot. Thus, in Matthew 4:20, Peter and Andrew "immediately (eutheós) left the nets and followed him," and even more to the point, v. 21 describes James and John sitting in a boat with their father and "they immediately left the boat and their father, and followed him" (4:22). Thus, regardless to how one conceives of the burial the son wanted to do, the point was that the son was to immediately, without any haste, drop what he was doing and follow Jesus. The stories of the calling of Peter and Andrew, James and John, and Levi involve the similarly harsh demand that there would be no farewell to family -- in sharp contrast to Elijah's more leniant demand. The obvious conclusion is that the Messiah would require more of his disciples than Elijah required of Elisha. Indeed, Matthew 10:37-38 states that "he who loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me ... and he who does not take his cross and follow after me (akolouthei opisó mou) is not worthy of me". The wording here is even closer to that of 1 Kings 19:19 in the phrasing of following "after me" (opisó sou). The underscored point is that those who love father and mother more than Jesus and fail to do what he requires chose death instead of life: "He who has found his life shall lose it, and he who has lost his life for my sake shall find it" (10:39). Understood in this way, there is a double entendre in Matthew 8:21-22: If he joins Jesus, he will let the dead bury themselves, but if he doesn't join Jesus, he himself will be a "dead person" (nekros) burying his dead. Get it?

• avishai
    avishai
    Well I don't think we can rely on anything a Jew says. After all, what do they know about the Christian-Greek Scriptures?"
    Well, I guess nothing. Especially since those who wrote the New testament were raised jews and still considered themselves jews, albeit a sect of judaism. Morons.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit