Does anyone want to hear my sad car story?

by Mulan 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Mulan
    Mulan

We have a 1989 Buick, that has served us well. We know we need a new car (maybe not new but newer) but we just hate the idea of car payments, something we haven't had to have for about 24 years. This time we will have to finance a car and just don't want to do it.

So, last week, we took the car in for a tuneup. They found several things that were on the verge of being dangerous and needed to be repaired, steering column issues, front brakes were almost to the metal, transmission problem, etc. So we decided it would be cheaper to get it fixed than to have car payments. So we had $1300 worth of work done. Groan.

Over the weekend, the car started having a problem with the idle, and it was making a funny clicking sound in the rear, so we took it back. It has to have new rear shocks and the muffler is rusted through, and the idle needs to be replaced, and there is a part on the internal computer that needs to be replaced. Almost another $1000.

This time I put my foot down, and refused to put that much more money into an old car with 140,000 miles on it. So we are just having the shocks done, and will sell it or trade it in soon, for a better car.

I have to have a car to drive to Wenatchee tomorrow with Joy and Steve (we are going to a "meeting" of sorts, over there for the weekend). Obviously, my car is much too dangerous to drive, so today I rented a brand new Buick LeSabre. Man, is that a sweet car. I may not take it back. **kidding** But I could definitely get used to it.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    Obviously, my car is much too dangerous to drive, so today I rented a brand new Buick LeSabre. Man, is that a sweet car.

ut ohhhh, I smell car payments in your future.....

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

I may not take it back. **kidding** But I could definitely get used to it.

LOL ... yeah that's probably what will happen ... and when the other one will be sold you might get one !!! maybe even before this one will be sold ... and maybe would like to try an other one ... hummmmmmmm ! (the buick is already in your graveheart ...)

• hubert
    hubert

Sorry to hear about your car problems, Mulan. If I were closer, I'd let you borrow one of my vehicles, but I'm at least 3 or 4 days drive away from you, and I know at least my truck would never make it.

Some advice, if you haven't just learned it already. Never, never throw that kind of money into an old car, 8 years or older. I know, because I did the same thing on two old cars, at different times. (Some people never learn) (ME) !! LOL !!

Because now, it's money thrown away, and you could have used it for a good down payment on a decent car that's 3 or 4 years old, and at least you'd have something for your money.

I wish you would have wrote this post before you put that kind of money into the old car. I don't mean to knock you. After all, you are the one that's asking for advice. I'm only trying to be helpful.

Some more advice....Don't buy a new car. It's going to depreciate a thousand bucks as soon as you leave the dealers. Get a car from a REPUTABLE dealer that's 3 or 4 years old. Have your mechanic take it for a test drive. Don't pay what they are asking for it. Dealers will almost always go down on the price, especially if you don't look too excited about the car.

There, I hope that gets me off the hook a little.

I just got my wife a nice little 2001 Toyota Corolla, automatic, all the extras, for $7800. We both love it!! Great on gas, too.

Good luck finding your "dream car".

Still friends? ....Hubert

• Mulan
    Mulan
    Never, never throw that kind of money into an old car, 8 years or older.

I really know that too. I didn't want to do it, but was talked into it by my hubby. Even the mechanics didn't recommend it. Today they told me not to do it too, so that helps.

Some more advice....Don't buy a new car. It's going to depreciate a thousand bucks as soon as you leave the dealers.

Absolutely agree. The rental agency has a lot of cars for sale, and they are in tip top shape, good prices and 2-3 years old. I think we will probably go that route. Our '89 Buick was from an Avis rental place, and a great deal, one year old. It's been a good car, but it's time has passed.

• hubert
    hubert

Mulan, I hope you realize you won't get much for your old car. Dealers won't even want it, I'm sorry to say. You can sell it yourself, but won't get back what you put into it. Get what you can for it, anyway. Sounds like the car rental place might be a good way to go. Try to get a 3 or 6 month warranty on the "new " car, just in case you have major problems with it. I got a 6 month warranty for my 2001 Toyota, and it needed a line-up, and they did it for "O". When I need another vehicle, you know that's the first place I'll go look now.

Cheers.....Hubert

• hubert
    hubert

Oh, Mulan, I forgot. Don't do the shocks. Adding that won't bring the price up on the car when you get to sell it. Save your money. Spend it on the next car, instead. (New floor mats, cd player, etc.).

Cheers again.... Hubert

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

Why don't you look for a 96 or 97 something for less than $3k?

Can't get anything that cheap? I'm sure it will serve you another 6 years?

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Oh gosh, we are spending $800 on an older vehicle this week to get it back on the road and we know it's stupid but can't at this time afford to buy something newer to replace it. We're hoping to buy a little time with this repair until we absolutely can afford to get a newer vehicle on down the road or until we win the lottery. I'll put my hopes on the lottery at this point, LOL.

I bought my first new car in 1996 and thought Armageddon would be here before I ever paid it off, I must say I've enjoyed the last four years of no car payments.LOL

I hope you post a pic of your newer car Mulan and it's a red convertible sports car.....varrrooooom!

• Mulan
    Mulan
    I hope you post a pic of your newer car Mulan and it's a red convertible sports car.....varrrooooom!

I would love that. The last time we were in Hawaii, we rented a convertible and it was a blast. Not likely though.

Dave loves the car I rented.............I may ask if it's for sale when I take it back next week.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit