Is it time for me to buy a new (used) car?

by Elsewhere 14 Replies latest jw friends

• MegaDude
    MegaDude
    I've always put over 150,000 miles on my cars and when they start breaking down, I repeat the cycle and get new.

I'm like Big Tex. I put over 248 K on my last Honda Accord. Buy new, buy wisely (using Consumer Guide Reports) and drive them until the wheels fall off. By the time I got rid of the old Honda I was too afraid of a lawsuit if I sold it. I gave it to a charity and took a healthy tax deduction.

• Princess
    Princess
    I agree with Doc...wait...did I just say that?
    <-- Checks to see if it's snowing in hell

ROFL Mega, you are so darn smart.

• Carmel
    Carmel

Elsy,

When my wife and I returned to the US we had to get a car and truck. She went for safety and small, so it turned out to be a Volvo S-40. A great little car with lots of class and zip. Should last her ten years. I went for the cheap Ford Ranger four-banger. I do a lot of small hauling and travel a good deal. Good gas milage but next year it's gonna be an upgrade. Have to have cruise control so it looks like the newer model of Ranger or another small PU with that feature..

Wanna good used ford?

carm

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I know a lot of you like buying a new car... but when I see a new car all I see is major depreciation. Because of this I don't even consider cars to be real assets because you don't get more out of them than you put in them. They are expenses.

I have owned three cars in my life and I have never had any serious problems. I've had to take care of minor things like breaks, changing fluids, changing belts, fuel filter and once had to change the alternator. All of these things cost far less than the monthly payment of any new car.

Regarding the reliability of used cars: I always buy off-lease or fleet vehicles. The previous owners of these cars were contractually obligated to keep the car in good condition or face paying penalties. Because of this I have never gotten a car that was a lemon. Lease and fleet vehicles also come with programs that allow the first owners to have all sorts of maintenance done on them for free... so by the time I get them at 20,000 to 40,000 miles all of the serious bugs have been worked out of them.

A lot of people think that cars are only sold because they have problems... but in reality more and more people are getting lease cars because they just cannot afford to buy a new car or because they like to get a new car every year or two.

• Princess
    Princess
    She went for safety and small, so it turned out to be a Volvo S-40. A great little car with lots of class and zip.

I hear those have stinky trunks that smell like fish.

Lease and fleet vehicles also come with programs that allow the first owners to have all sorts of maintenance done on them for free... so by the time I get them at 20,000 to 40,000 miles all of the serious bugs have been worked out of them.

Sounds like a great way to get a car.

A lot of people think that cars are only sold because they have problems... but in reality more and more people are getting lease cars because they just cannot afford to buy a new car or because they like to get a new car every year or two.

Naw, I sold my Toyota just because we decided to go in a different direction. It was a great minivan and the new owners got a great car for a great price.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit