Comments You Will Not Hear at the 10-17-04 WT Study

by blondie 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Ok this is the article that many have anticipated since that talk was given 18 months ago.

As I have said before, I often attend on Sundays, to support my JW wife and keep us together on Sundays. I had not "prepared the study"(surprised?) so my heart sunk a bit when I saw what it was. Wife gave me the sort of look that said she knew what I was up to , and this was especially for me!

Opening paras ok , general points....I took note of p 11 "Destructive sects" that is in 2 Peter, but who today has set up a sect from the dubs, or even wants to? para says "No matter what apostates may say, the real aim is to 'steal slay and destroy' Who? What?

P12. "Harmful associates" with picture of a young girl at a computer.. Paragraph talks about those who criticise the 'restrictive way of life' and then those who hide their identity pose as other teenagers to "Lure you into a trap" - hardly the sites we know and love, rather general advice as given by the world..

14. Media "lies" .. That a newpaper said that they supported Hitler during WW2. Is this not a "Straw man " argument", take the exteme case, debunk it , then use that to say that nothing adverse from the media should ever be beleved. We know that to be a fallacious technique (anyway see Blondies comments earlier about what they did say in the 1930's)

This is when it got heavy. Paragraph refers to accusations of "Condoning serious sins commited by fellow beleivers" A hand from the back then answered up and said about the BBC Panorama programme a year or two back that told lies about alleged child abuse. I bristled at that , but it was just an answer . But when the conductor, from the platform agreed with him and said that the programme was a lie....that was it. I just had to get up and walk out....

He was teaching the lie.. He stood there on a platform of a meeting that purports to worship the "God of truth" and told complete knowing untruth to the congregation.. I was outside in the lobby now............Still, nobody seemed to notice me so they did not care.

After the meeting you might imagine the type of conversation that took place . Typical family Sunday really.

• lawrence
    lawrence

Thanks Blondie!

BB-

So, I'm to infer that field circus was out of the question after wolfing down a fast food lunch with the "faithful."

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

Thanks for doing this, Blondie!

I appreciate being kept informed as to what spiritual foods my mother is being served every Sunday along with your well-researched truths that can be an antidote to their poisonous ones (at least for those who can/will take it).

--Merry Merry (quite contrary)

• Flash
    Flash

cyber-sista

At one point I even cried to an elder who was reasoning with me (WT reasoning) "Sometimes I don't even think we are worshipping the same God!"

Articles like this help me to see why I am being treated the way I am being treated by my former JW friends and family (shunned because I am not going to the meetings) Some of these even know my story and know I have reasons for feeling the way that I do, but still they try to encourage me to go back to the emotional abuse.

...Think about what the WT is telling you now and what they have told you in the past. Think about Jesus--the bible tells all Christians to follow in his footsteps.

I don't even know what I personally believe anymore in regards to the bible, God, Jesus, etc, but it sounds like this would be the best approach if you wanted to get JWs to reason on things. But, as we know ,if they are a hard core JWs you may not even get far with this approach. I have given up on most of them. I don't want to argue their insane arguements anymore. I feel sorry for many of the friends I once had that are still in there, but it is their choice to be there right now. Though I have grieved over the loss these past months-- I will have to leave them there and try to move ahead without them--it is the only logical thing to do.

BluesBrother

This is when it got heavy. Paragraph refers to accusations of "Condoning serious sins commited by fellow beleivers" A hand from the back then answered up and said about the BBC Panorama programme a year or two back that told lies about alleged child abuse. I bristled at that , but it was just an answer . But when the conductor, from the platform agreed with him and said that the programme was a lie....that was it. I just had to get up and walk out....

He was teaching the lie.. He stood there on a platform of a meeting that purports to worship the "God of truth" and told complete knowing untruth to the congregation.. I was outside in the lobby now............Still, nobody seemed to notice me so they did not care.

After the meeting you might imagine the type of conversation that took place . Typical family Sunday really.

Hello cyber-sista and BluesBrother,

Its very sad, I read posts like yours and know with certainty I am not alone in suffering these things. The heart of the problem, I believe, is the narrow cult metality and the lack of true Christlike love in the congregations. They look at us as the deviates, yet, they have no idea how apostate they've become!!!

Hang Tough. ~ Flash

• minimus
    minimus

My mom told me today that my aunt told her to read this Watchtower "very carefully" so as to avoid any "strange" influences (me).

• Jankyn
    Jankyn

Thanks, Blondie.

I'll make sure I give it a couple of weeks before I call my mom, as this will certainly get her stirred up. Fortunately, she seems to have "goldfish memory" (urban legend that goldfish only remember the last three seconds, so every time they swim around the bowl, it's new terrain).

Jankyn

• codeblue
    codeblue

Blondie: I would love to have you as my "sister too"........Too bad we don't live in the same town!!

hugs,

CodeBlue

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit