WTS Double Standard on the Blood Issue

by undercover 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• blondie
    blondie

Not quite anything but whole blood.

The four primary components are verboten.

Red blood cells

White blood cells

Blood plasma

Platelets

Fractions from these primary components are considered a conscience matter/personal decision by the WTS.

It is all ridiculous since the WTS says that blood must be poured out and not stored. How can you derive fractions from things that are supposed to be poured out on the ground?

Blondie

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I'm inclined to think that most JWs will accept any fraction or fraction combination so long as the resulting solution does not look red.

JWs seem to have a repulsive "knee-jerk" reaction to the thought of red "blood" entering their body

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

The four primary components are verboten.

Red blood cells

White blood cells

Blood plasma

Platelets

Blondie umm the thing is these are not "primary" componets of anything. They are classifications. Blood plasma for example is protien water you can add the factors to the albumin (which the wts allows) and make recombinant plasma, but the the concept is so inefficient why bother. THe fibrin glue the wts loves so much is platelete paste. Hemoglobin fractions contain 100% hemoglobin and red cells contain 97%. If you wanted to you can collect the membrain and trans fuse it as a fraction for the extra 3%. There is more albumin than white bloodcells in the blood too.

The blood ban is stupidly over, and just like the cold war it ended in a fizzle instead of a bang. Any JW that can do math and wants to live will take what ever they feel they need (the drs will gladly show you the percentages). Why else would the WTS issue a gag order on jws (including elders, and service dpt questions) in a study article about the subject of fractions? Basically JWs have invented a new thing Kosher blood transfusions.

I mean think of it. If they tell you dont tell anyone your veiw on blood, if you consience allows it you can take "fractions". If the elders, hlc, or whom ever ask you about your medical treatment then you just say what the watchtower wants you to say, "each person has to make their own personal decision according to their bible trained conscience, and I don't wish to stumble anyone by giving my personal veiw". This is the new party line. Acts 15:29 we knew ye well. BTW I just read that scripture. In all my years I had no idea it was a conditional statement. It says if you abstain from these things you will prosper. So the only retribution from fronication, things strangled, blood, and scrificed to idols is not prospering. Weird.

EW I told my dad the same thing if the apostles saw various bags of pale to urine colored liquid they would probally would not understand why you can't take certain ones.

• blondie
    blondie

I am merely using the terminology the WTS uses in the 6/15/2000 QFR. Note how whole blood, the "four primary components," and blood fractions are considered separate entities. If you accept whole blood or the "four primary components" the WTS will consider that you have DA'd yourself while blood fractions are a conscience matter. I'm sure the medical community has different vocabulary but this is the vocabulary the WTS/elders will use when determining your "spiritual" fate.

w00 6/15 p. 29 Questions From Readers

Do Jehovah?s Witnesses accept any medical products derived from blood?

The fundamental answer is that Jehovah?s Witnesses do not accept blood. We firmly believe that God?s law on blood is not open to reform to fit shifting opinions. Still, new issues arise because blood can now be processed into four primary components and fractions of those components....

Today, most transfusions are not of whole blood but of one of its primary components: (1) red cells; (2) white cells; (3) platelets; (4) plasma (serum), the fluid part. Depending on the condition of the patient, physicians might prescribe red cells, white cells, platelets, or plasma. Transfusing these major components allows a single unit of blood to be divided among more patients. Jehovah?s Witnesses hold that accepting whole blood or any of those four primary components violates God?s law.

Just as blood plasma can be a source of various fractions, the other primary components (red cells, white cells, platelets) can be processed to isolate smaller parts. For example, white blood cells may be a source of interferons and interleukins, used to treat some viral infections and cancers. Platelets can be processed to extract a wound-healing factor. And other medicines are coming along that involve (at least initially) extracts from blood components. Such therapies are not transfusions of those primary components; they usually involve parts or fractions thereof. Should Christians accept these fractions in medical treatment? We cannot say. The Bible does not give details, so a Christian must make his own conscientious decision before God.

Hence, some Christians reject such products, just as they reject transfusions of whole blood or of its four primary components. Their sincere, conscientious stand should be respected.

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

But its not a "primary component" if you call it a fraction.

And that sentance conflicts with the rest of the article. I understand what I you are saying but thats like taking opium making it illegal but allowing heroine and morphine to be over the counter drugs (actually that was the first drug law in american history it was in san franciso).

• blondie
    blondie

primary components: (1) red cells; (2) white cells; (3) platelets; (4) plasma (serum), the fluid part.

This is what the WTS calls primary components. To be a blood fraction in the WTS terminology it would have to be something that is only part of the above.

Note this chart:

http://www.ajwrb.org/images/hlc2.jpg

The first tier are the primary components and procedures that are not allowed.

The second tier are the fractions of those primary components and the procedures that ARE allowed.

XQ, you could call it a "fraction" but if the WTS does not agree with you, they would consider that you had DA'd yourself.

Blondie

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Here is an analogy that is even worse:

Christians may NOT take vegetable soup into their bodies; it is always connected with pagans in the bible.

AND they may not take in the major components: vegetables, fluids, spices and flavorings.

However, modern food processing has made fractions of those components available to the christian, such as individual amounts of carrots, celery and so forth, for purposes of health enhancement. In addition, salt, pepper and MSG are further extracted from these fractions.

The bible clearly does not comment on taking salt, pepper or carrots into our bodies. Some christians may feel that their consciences will not allow them to take in such fractions; it is not for us to condemn them for this.

I wanted to use this analogy at the meeting; I was gone for the weekend tho'.

I think it would have gone over; crappy analogies are ubiquituous at the KH.

• blondie
    blondie

Pistoff, I take it you did not attend elsewhere. Good WT study to miss.

Blondie

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Nope; I was able to miss this little stinker.

The only thing worse than the insidious material are all the knowing, fawning, self righteous comments.

This thread suggests that they really are taking steps to abandon the policy. Of course, they do it by a thousand cuts; too much to expect an honest change.

Do you have the DVD blondie?

Gotta get that little beauty!

• bebu
    bebu

If they are truly turning their blood policy into a don't ask-don't tell policy, I imagine it would have something to do with the Belgian gov't forcing them to make promises that they wouldn't DF members for accepting blood. I wonder also if the WT's problem with France (mega taxes due now)--and even Russia--are forcing it to tone down its blood policy, so that they will not look so cultish.

All this blood policy stuff gives me a real headache.

bebu

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit