Mormon 'support' for gays, pressure on the WTS?

by Simon 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

"When it comes to "money" watch how fast they spin a new doctrine!"

I agree with Atlantis! It's all about the $$$$$!!!!!

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    Sir82 - you make a good point.  The recent concessions that the mormons are making are probably directly related to Mitt Romney's presidential run.  I bet they desperately want to get a mormon into the whitehouse (or at least more positions of power) to legitimize their cult.
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I'm afraid I agree with Finkelstein and Smiddy - the WTS will possibly even point to the LDS and say that they're becoming 'worldly', aren't maintaining God's standards, etc.

I believe that in a tiny way, the WTS are perhaps softer on gay people than they were. Sort of 'hate the sin, love the sinner'.

The WTS can go strict or liberal on a range of issues, IMO, such as alcohol, dress, grooming, but they have always been strict on sexual matters. I can't see this changing.

Remember, there's a world out there that they must keep separate from  

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I'm not too sure if the Untied Nations has the power to enforce churches to do much in changing their non-compliance toward open acceptance of gay rights, such as enforcing the marring within the churches.

The constitutional chartered rights of religion is pretty strong in the US.

There may be some legal pressure placed onto churches including the WTS/JWS  toward not inciting prejudice or haltered toward gay people but it would most likely stop short of churches open and unregulated acceptance. 

The possibility of what Johnston Drake pointed out such as the WTS. not DFing people but placing a restraining position onto gays in JW congregations is a slight possibility. 

Don't expect to see gay people getting married in Kingdom Halls anytime soon.  

• violias
    violias

The last I recall we had a MS who was gay ( though never openly  confessed it to boe - but   he told some of his friends and they protected him  ) and the boe said they could not take any action against him unless he did something inappropriate .  I know this b/c well, you know how stuff gets around in the congo . This was in the mid to late 90's. One of the elders I knew told me that you can't DF someone unless they "do" something so just "being gay" was not a sin but having gay sex was.  If he stayed celibate  ( or did not behave suggestively  with other men  ie flirt etc  ) he was ok. What a confusing way to live.

• Jonathan Drake
    Jonathan Drake
    I'm not too sure if the Untied Nations has the power to enforce churches to do much in changing their non-compliance toward open acceptance of gay rights, such as enforcing the marring within the churches.

Accordin to the report, so far as I recall  they only expect them to teach the rights of gay people and a contraceptive. I'm not sure they necessarily expect them to perform the marriages. Also, I agree with you, the UN doesn't really have any teeth. So the deadline given of 2017 seems strange, you know? I'm wondering what exactly they are going to do, if anything. 

This may just be my opinion, but gay rights and religious freedom can't coexist. I feel this way because the primary religions of the world rely on sacred books that are thousands of years old and cannot be changed. These books condemn homosexuality. Thus the religions preach against homosexuality as immoral. It's fundamental in the foundation of their faith. If religious freedom exists then we have groups that become, essentially, hate groups inculcating intolerance. 

i just don't see how they can coexist. I expect religion to be forced into a minority like groups such as the KKK. Except much worse, since these groups will view it as persecution and that will just fuel the fire. 

• ToesUp
    ToesUp
    Maybe they will come up with Gay/homosexual fractions. lol
  • Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    There have been and continue to be prominent Mormons in politics.  They must be tired of having to explain the reasoning behind the fact that the church didn't allow blacks in until rather recently as well as other inconvenient information.  Softening their stance on the gay issue is likely in part meant to decrease the pressure on Mormon candidates taking more progressive positions and not having to go directly against their church.  Since JWs don't have this ambition, it gains them nothing in the short term to lighten their tone on this matter.
  • sir82
    sir82

gay rights and religious freedom can't coexist. I feel this way because the primary religions of the world rely on sacred books that are thousands of years old and cannot be changed. These books condemn homosexuality. Thus the religions preach against homosexuality as immoral. It's fundamental in the foundation of their faith.

Those same "sacred books" condone, explicitly or implicitly, bigamy, racism, slavery, rape, and so on. Human society has gradually become enlightened, and the world's religions have (eventually, perhaps after much heel-dragging) caught up. "New light" has providentially appeared, and the "sacred texts" are re-interpreted.

The same thing will happen with homosexuality. Eventually, and after much heel-dragging.

• Simon
    Simon

Any religious group that changes their beliefs based on taxation or sentiment from the wider society really shows up that their beliefs are far from inspired. I would have more respect if they stuck to their principles and beliefs even if I didn't agree with them.

Marriage equality is certainly changing society and is already becoming viewed in the same was as race and gender equality. Certainly in 5 or more years time it will look very very odd for any large group to be preaching what is essentially a message of hate and intolerance against a specific group. They know they have to change if they want to retain their exempt status so change they will - bye bye beliefs.

It will be spun as "new and better understanding of the scriptures" as the LDS are doing. They are just getting ahead of the train. The WTS will trail behind and may even try to make an issue out of it so they can gain a few "persecution points" before they adapt.

But when they adapt - remember that it was mankind and society who forced their new scriptural understanding on them, not their god giving them any new light.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit