Cancer Cure?

by metatron 10 Replies latest jw experiences

• metatron
    metatron

see:

www.rense.com/general58/anti.htm

I can't speak for the accuracy of this claim but the BBC is usually pretty good.

metatron

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Wow if this research can continue to be this productive it would a huge boon. Liver cancer in particular is difficult to beat. My mother died from it 15 years ago, and I've had several relatives die from cancer so I'm somewhat nervous about my chances.

The antibiotic worked by turning off a gene called Myc, which is known to trigger cancer.
    Mice remained cancer free for as long as they took the drug. When it was stopped they developed liver cancer, the Stanford University team found.

Wouldn't it be something if cancer could be managed much like diabetes is now?

• Sirona
    Sirona

Thanks for posting that Metatron. It gives a link directly to the BBC website too.

I've forwarded it to someone I know with that type of cancer who is desperately holding on for more treatments...

Sirona

• Black Sheep
  • Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Hold on everyone... it is not the antibiotic that is fighting the cancer... it is the Gene "swtich". The antibiotic is just being used to turn the Gene on and off.

The mice that are being used are genetically modified so that the antibiotic will turn the gene on and off, so this will not work on just anyone... unless you want your genome rewritten.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3726124.stm

Gene switch can 'turn off cancer'

Scientists have shown they can turn off a cancer-causing gene in mice, offering hope of new treatments for cancer patients.

The Stanford University team used a drug to turn off a gene called Myc, which is known to trigger cancer.

Mice remained cancer free for as long as Myc was switched off.

Cancer experts said the Nature study held promise for human cancer drugs working on the same switch.

Cancer switch

The findings might also apply to cancers of the breast, bowel and prostate, the researchers hope.

This is because all of these cancers, as well as liver cancer, begin in cells that line the body called epithelial cells.

According to Cancer Research UK, the gene may contribute to as many as one in seven cancer deaths.

Drugs blocking Myc might be effective cancer treatments in the future.
    Dr Elaine Vickers from Cancer Research UK

The Stanford scientists studied mice whose liver cells had been altered to carry a modified Myc gene known to cause cancer.

Myc controls cell division. Unlike the normal version of the gene, the modified version stayed permanently switched on, meaning cells were constantly dividing and some became cancerous.

The researchers engineered mice so that the Myc gene could be switched off by a common antibiotic called doxycycline.

Feeding the mice doxycyline turned the faulty Myc gene off so cancer growth was blocked.

When the researchers stopped the doxycycline the mice developed aggressive liver cancer.

Reintroducing doxycycline into their feed not only turned Myc back off, blocking further cancer growth, but it also turned the cancer cells back to normal.

Reversing cancer

Lead researcher Dr Dean Felsher said: "The exciting thing is you can turn cancer cells into something that appears to be normal."

But he said even though the cells looked normal, they still had the ability to become cancerous.

This could explain why some cancers come back after people have had chemotherapy, he said.

"This is a terrible cancer. Anything that is encouraging in liver cancer may be important," he said.

Dr Elaine Vickers, science information officer for Cancer Research UK, said: "The Myc gene is known to be overactive in many types of cancer.

"Estimates suggest that the gene may contribute to as many as one in seven cancer deaths.

"This research is very interesting.

"It adds to the weight of evidence suggesting that drugs blocking Myc might be effective cancer treatments in the future."

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch
    The mice that are being used are genetically modified so that the antibiotic will turn the gene on and off, so this will not work on just anyone... unless you want your genome rewritten.

Good Catch Elsewhere.

Designer research animals...we're getting closer to that bright brave new world every day.

I'm hopeful that they'll find the natural sites within the genome that regulate expression of Myc and other cancer related genes. If they can make designer proteins that can inhibit expression of those specific genes then one can expect very similar results.

• metatron
    metatron

Consider that this could MUCH BIGGER THAN CURING CANCER - which is pretty big all by itself.

If they can find the tools to turn cell division on and off, we're well on the way to PRACTICAL IMMORTALITY!

Any failing organ could be rebuilt, on command.

Even if the mice are designer-issue, if the principle of gene switching holds up in cancer cases, this is still

fantastic.

metatron

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

The latest issue of Discover magazine has an interview with a genetecist who has successfully been able to double the lifespan of worms and mice by altering their genes.

So much of what goes wrong with people (disease, aging) is genetic. We are just beginning to scratch the surface of what can be done. We can finally fix God's (TM) mistakes.

• franklin J
    franklin J

thank you for the post.

Cancer has stalked my wifes family and caught them one by one.

I do not fear for myself; however I am always pushing my wife to be tested every 6 months and every time one of my kids complains of a stomach ache; I panic ( yes, so I am neurotic about my kids); but cancer is a major killer in our society and it must be stopped.

• metatron
    metatron

Anyone who fears cancer should read up on selenium supplements. Animal experiments have shown 40 -50%

reductions in cancer incidence using selenium, in addition to correlations related to diet in humans.

I really believe that this is one of those untold stories ignored by the health industry in the US because

little or no profit can be made in establishing this as a preventive measure.

metatron

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit