The Will JW kids/students be the next big threat to the Watchtower Society?

by truthseeker 17 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

The Internet has only been around for 10 years, yet it has profoundly changed the way we live, work and entertain ourselves.

Particularly for children, they have readily adapted to this technology so much so, that teachers and educators are finding that their traditional based curriculums are leaving kids bored. These are the kids who are used to surfing, instant messenging and downloading digital music.

Of course, older JW students are also finding out just how great that "Net" thing is.

Consider a recent news article...

http://www.thefeature.com/article?articleid=35265

Teaching in the Wireless Cloud

Students with mobile devices are slowly redefining some fundamental campus rules.

During the 1990s, American colleges gradually admitted instructional technology into campus life. Now these schools are catching the m-learning wave, building wireless infrastructures, and experimenting with pilot programs. New ways of learning are emerging as wireless education unfolds.

The most controversial instance of m-learning occurs in the traditional classroom, when students gain access to wireless connectivity. Some professors report frustration at students' wandering attention, as Minesweeper or instant messages become more attractive than a lecture. A Texas law professor went so far as to climb a ladder to disconnect a wireless access point. Others turn to technologies that beam students' desktops to a projector, using the threat of embarrassment as attention enforcement.

Different instructors feel constructively challenged by the wireless environment. They consider wandering attention as feedback on their classroom presence, a goad to energize their presentation. They welcome wirelessly enhancing the Internet's already established educational benefits: googling a topic for deeper information, posting to discussion fora, exploring on-line class materials, producing better notes and compositions.

Portable computing experiments have also struck the classroom. The University of Minnesota Duluth has taught several computer science classes using PocketPCs, where faculty and TAs wrote eighty applications for students' iPaqs, then added reference materials for CS-1511. Students learned with these tools, while collaborating via handheld email and beaming. East Carolina University medical students stored, annotated, and shared medical information on Visors. They appreciated improved note-taking (making up for proverbially bad handwriting) and ready-to-hand references. Virginia Tech deployed a simulation game to Cybiko handholds in 2002.

Students equipped with mobile and wireless devices are reshaping the classroom environment. Spaces structured by static rows of computer desks, with screens or bulky monitors blocking views, are increasingly obsolete. Instead students can sit where they like, depending on the instructor's flexibility. A class can change quickly from a lecture to a small group discussion or lab format, while retaining the full powers of computer-mediated communication. Instructors project notes on a wall, talking through a sequence of points, then break the class up to pursue team projects or discussions. In my experience, learners quickly arrange themselves in ways conducive to their comfortable conversation and writing, rather than following the dictates of pre-arranged furniture (which is often hostile to the best learning).

As educational spaces change, so does learning time. The traditional class works on a two-step information access schedule, alternating between an isolated classroom and an out-of-class connection to the full world of information via libraries and the internet. Always-on connectivity allows learners to blur those two modes, hitting the internet on demand or in mid-discussion, texting classmates (and instructors) at any time.

Outside the classroom, wireless connectivity's effects on a given campus' life depend on rollout strategies. Many schools have launched pilot programs in limited areas, such as a library, science building, or student center. Awareness of connectivity clouds attracts users to those spots for reasons personal (IM to friends) and academic (check class discussion). Leading the way in developing wireless practices are members of a community anchored in such locations, including reference librarians in a library, and students living in a dorm. At a broader level, other universities, such as Dartmouth and American, support extensive, even campus-wide coverage . Classroom- and library-identified work spills into the rest of college space. Research sessions take place on lawns, collaborative writing on the steps of buildings, group work distributed across an entire campus.

The notion of college as a separate space removed from the world, already weakened by the internet, is further sapped by mobile access to the world beyond the ivory tower. The campus becomes a different place when a student can connect with a content expert anywhere in the world from the steps of a gym, or compare notes with a student on another continent from a classroom doorway. The full potentials of this format are still being explored - how will faculty and student behaviors change when they can carry most of their work around in digital, connected formats, and communicate as effectively from a quad bench as from an office? How much more attractive and supported will inter-campus collaborative learning become?

This news article raises some interesting points for JW kids and students in school...

What's to stop JW students from researching their religion?

What's stopping the peers of JW students from researching Jehovah's Witnesses and presenting their findings?

An interesting comment in this article that particularly got my attention is the following...

The notion of college as a separate space removed from the world, already weakened by the internet, is further sapped by mobile access to the world beyond the ivory tower.

Now, let's reword this...

The notion of The Watchotwer Society as a separate organization removed from the world, already weakened by the internet, is further sapped by mobile access to the world beyond the ivory tower.

Is it any wonder that the Society had to make a DVD, entitled, "Young People - What Will You Do With Your Life?"

My friend who saw this DVD, said that the Society is encouraging JW youths to take courses IN HIGH SCHOOL to get a job, such as secretary schools, auto mechanics, electrical engineering, RATHER THAN GOING TO COLLEGE.

I guess in this way, the JW who does all his career moves in high school, will not go to college and be taught to think critically, to be creative and to do thorough research. Not suggesting that this doesn't happen in high school, but college and university take this to a much higher level.

Do you think the younger generation of JW's will pose a threat to the Society? What do I mean by threat?

Well, what happens if they tell their parents what they found on the Internet on Jehovah's Witnesses?

What happens if they leave when they see the truth?

Then, the Society will lose its futures leaders, elders, servants, pioneers and Bethelites.

Within a generation or two , the Society will be all grey hair and little else.

• cyberguy
    cyberguy

To me, the Internet is one of the largest threats to the Watchtower bullies! They let the ?cat out of the bag? some years ago, however, by allowing college as a choice, but now are going back to the hard-liner position, that all college is EVIL, and that the only acceptable course is ?pioneering!? I hope advances in technology, like the Internet, will enable JW-kids to be set-free from ALL false religion, including JW-ism!

• Happy Guy :)
    Happy Guy :)

I agree with you that the internet is a probably viewed as a major thorn in the side of the JWs. I am surprised that the Watchtower hasn't put out some articles saying avoid the internet etc. (please feel free to correct if they have....I am not in the loop on current doctrinal changes but then given how frequently they change them, I don't know who would be up to date).

One thing I have noticed about the JWs over the last 20 years is that they do move forward in certain customs i.e. music and fashion they just seem to keep things 20 years behind the times. For example back in the 80s they were okay with certain Pop music from the 50s and even 60s and certain fasions of even the 70s but if you asked an older "brother" or "sister" they would tell you these styles while accepted now were considered inspired by Satan in their time. Much is the same now. I see JWs dressing in apparel that back in the 80s would have been considered inappropriate. I see them wearing more makeup than they would have been permitted in the 80s and I see some listening to music that 15 years ago was not approved of.

So while this internet age will certainly enlighten JWs about what the "truth" really is all about, I still see them making lifestyle adjustments necessary to keep some new converts coming into the fold. The thing is their adjustments always seem to be in a delayed way probably to keep the JWs feeling different (and sometimes ackward) with the world around them.

To me this is interesting because I see this as more of a threat to the grey haired ones. Surely it must be confusing or even annoying that the JWs would brand Satanic a certain mode of lifestyle only for it to be accepted 20 years later. On the one hand they say not to mix with the world and on the other hand they say to it's okay to try and blend in. It surely must show the Organization for what it is.

• Quotes
    Quotes

=================================
    I am surprised that the Watchtower hasn't put out some articles saying avoid the internet etc. (please feel free to correct if they have
    ================================

I respect a person who is not above correction! Since you asked...

http://quotes.watchtower.ca/internet.htm

Yes, I do think the internet will destoy the Cult of Watchtowerism. I think it is already happening. It would be interesting to track the average and median age of JWs over the past 10 years.

~Quotes, of the "Internet is what got me out so I'm returning the favour" class

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

I think the special day assembly we had was 70% devoted to young ones.

They're fearing the worst!

• hybridous
    hybridous

I see the WT in a catch 22...

Discourage kids from getting college diplomas, and their main source of future cult members have a limited earning potential. Limited earnings mean limited donations.

Let up with the anti-college crap, and the future dubbers may earn more and donate more, but are more likely to leave.

It can't be both ways. The WT is gonna have to decide what they like more : brainwashed loyalists or $$.

My guess is that cash flow will win out over the hard-line position on college, eventually. After all, this is a business we're talking about. I just hope it doesen't take too long. Enough people have made regrettable career decisions based on heavy-handed WT advise.

• joenobody
    joenobody

All the better in my books. The kids aren't going to be easily fooled and will check things twice. It seems there are a ton of them just waiting for 18 then ejecting...

• red so deep
    red so deep

Do you think the younger generation of JW's will pose a threat to the Society?

I really hope all my fellow JW teens will make a very informed decision before flushing their lives down the WT toilet....and if they do, than yes, it will pose a "threat"....(read:less money)

Well, what happens if they tell their parents what they found on the Internet on Jehovah's Witnesses?

Than maybe we can take down some of the middle aged dubs in the process! What i've told my parents, about the UN scandal in specific, has shaken their faith a bit. I'm not trying to make it seem like their religion has f*cked them, but i'm just trying to show them some of the things about the org that you'd never know if you just read their publications....

What happens if they leave when they see the truth?

Hmmm, they will live normal lives??? gasp

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    It would be interesting to track the average and median age of JWs over the past 10 years.

I did see some stats a few months ago but when I tried to find them again I failed.

From memory:

Average ages had risen.

% of females had risen to 58%. Equal to the highest female % of any of the many religions in the survey.

% of under 25s had dropped.

I thought I had filed the data, but I must have hidden it too well

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Found some interesting stats at Staistics Canada. 2001 & 1991 Census.

The 25 to 44 year age group takes the biggest drop in both male and female. 54,940 to 44,885

15 to 24 was pretty stable in both male and female.

The 45 and overs are hanging in and their and numbers are rising.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit