Is Global Warming a Myth?

by Sirona 80 Replies latest jw friends

• Sirona
    Sirona

I've been reading about Global Warming recently and to be honest its getting more confusing by the minute.

Some say there is so much evidence that it is caused by humans (burning of fossil fuels etc) but some say that it is a natural cycle that we shouldn't worry about.

http://www.junkscience.com/news/robinson.htm

What is the truth? Are you concerned about our planet?

Sirona

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I used to believe all that global warming stuff, even though some of it didn't really make sense.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

The way I see it, radical Greenies are in pretty much the same boat as the WTBTS. They quote anything and anybody who backs their doctrine, ignor contrary data and demonize those who oppose them.

Our local Weather Service is a supporter of GW, but they only boast a 48% success rate forcasting tomorrows weather . Even so, they are often quoted by NZ Greenies as expert opinion supporting their claims of impending disaster in 20, or whatever, years.

That's not to say all Greenies are bad people, I consider myself a Greenie. I just don't swallow everything they say as gospel troof.

GW is one of the Greenie's Armaggedons, but like the JW Armaggedon, if you look back at their earlier predictions, they just haven't happened.

• Sirona
    Sirona

So are you saying that this is all rubbish?: http://www.ecobridge.org/content/g_tht.htm

Sirona

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Note the authors and publishers of the first article, might they have a barrow to push? If so, you should investigate their claims before you believe them.

by Arthur B. Robinson and Zachary W. Robinson Copyright 1997 Dow Jones & Co., Inc. Reprinted with permission of Dow Jones & Co., Inc. The Wall Street Journal (December 4, 1997)

Likewise with EcoBridge. They have a barrow to push too. It's not that different to testing the Troof of the WTBTS. I looked at the GW issue long before I turned my attention to the WT. Silly boy. I had my priorities wrong. Chris GW Apostate

• Sirona
    Sirona

Where are all you clever scientist types? What do YOU think?

Sirona

• Realist
    Realist

sirona,

it is very likely that human activity has some influence on the global climate. This is most likely overlayed with natural effects like sun activity (gleissberg cycle etc.).

in any case, we should worry about it...after all this affects the lives of billions of people (storms, droughts, dessert growth etc.).

• FreeWilly
    FreeWilly

The world is no doubt getting warmer. The question is how much, if any of it is caused by humans. Difficult to asses. One thing for sure is that we have unprecedented CO2 levels in our atmosphere. Historical info shows a correlation between CO2 and warm temperatures. The problem is that most CO2 levels (in the past) have risen AFTER a global temperature rise. So it isn't certain that CO2 causes warming. Additionally, the Earth appears to have a regulator of sorts when it comes to warming. Higher temperatures produce more water vapor, i.e. cloud-cover which in turn attenuates and reflects sunlight.

What appears equally as likely is the increase in solar activity that is occurring. However, it should not go without notice that we are creating an atmosphere with sustained high levels of CO2 which is uncharted territory.

"Greens" have detracted from their own cause (just like JW's) by issuing doomsday predictions that have not come to pass. By now (If I recall correctly) we should have seen a 4 degree average global temperature rise according to predictions in the 80's. This was accompanied by forecasts of catastrophes, refugees and drastic weather. So far we have seen only a .5 degree average rise which appears to be overall consistant with the warming trend that began in the 1400's.

Environmental causes have become major money machines. Organizations such as Greenpeace and Seirra club take in hundreds of millions of dollars annually (700 million for Sierra club annually). Fear is a big motivator in their literature. You'd never know it, but many things have gotten better over the years.

Temperate Forests in the US, Europe and Asia have actually Increased in size in the last few decades.

Particulate air quality has improved in developed nations.

Water quality has improved in developed nations.

The average standard of living for all humans on Earth has increased (rather dramatically) in the 20th century.

Life expectancy is at an all time high.

Some things have gotten worse. Species of plants and animals continue to become extinct a a much greater rate that occurs naturally.

• Realist
    Realist

freewilly,

Higher temperatures produce more water vapor, i.e. cloud-cover which in turn attenuates and reflects sunlight.

the effect of water vapor is not clear. It could actually be a very strong green house gas.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

From what I have read the earth has gone thru many cycles of ice ages and warming,, it seems to be quite natural. I think the cycle is estamated to be about every 100,000 years also we seem to get hit by a major astoriod every 100,000,000 years that wipes out most of the life on earth.

I don't think there is anything we can do about it except maybe be more careful with our enviorment,, which may or may not be a good thing.

Over population with our species seems to be a very real danger,,I'm sure if we keep multiplying unchecked like cancer cells the earths natural defences will eventually either wipe us out like our bodies fight cancer or atleast wipe out a lrge portion of the human race to stabilize exponential growth of our species.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit