Remembering Halloween As A JW Kid . . .

by Corvin 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

Halloween was the one holiday I really longed to celebrate. I wanted to dress up in costumes, etc. We always hid in a dark house, in fear of little children. *rolls eyes* We never got egged or TP'd that I can remember.

• jwbot
    jwbot

Halloween was the only holiday I cared to celebrate...I wanted to dress up so bad, and hang out with friends at night and eat candy.

Our family would just shut off the lights and watch TV or go out to eat. Our house always got egged. When I was home, I would stare out the window at the children going by and imagine what I would dress up as. The next day, school friends would give me candy.

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront
    =====================================
    I guess - in retrospect... it's a non-JWs revenge... sorta like door-to-door in reverse, eh? It gives a JW an opportunity to see what it feels like to dread someone coming to the door and knocking. hahahahaha
    =====================================

Yes, like Jerry Seinfeld said to the telemarketer: "Well now you know how I feel".

I have a pioneering relative who always uses the phrase "a lot of people were HBH (home but hiding)" whenever she goes out in "service".

I wonder will she consider herself home but hiding this Halloween.

• Jez
    Jez

My ex would open the door and say, "We don't celebrate halloween, but come back tomorrow and I will give you candy." What an embarrassing idiot.

• PurpleV
    PurpleV

My mother used to make me go OUT IN SERVICE on Halloween. One woman felt sorry for me and gave me candy. I'm suprised my mother let me keep it.

• tresbella
    tresbella

Yeah I knew a lot of wittnesses who put tracts in the trick or treat bags. well we had the bookstudy at out house for a good 8 years and halloween always seemed to fall on thursday night bookstudy every couple years and so the kinds in my neighborhood would purposely come to our door and knock screaming : "we know your all in there! we see the cars outside! open up!" till one of the brothers would finally open it up whcih would of course interupt the study. I couldn't help but laugh!

• Margie
    Margie
    P.S. I guess - in retrospect... it's a non-JWs revenge... sorta like door-to-door in reverse, eh? It gives a JW an opportunity to see what it feels like to dread someone coming to the door and knocking.

I nearly wet myself when I read that. Although, I must say, I think the dread only worked on JW children.

• onintwo
    onintwo

When I was really young my dad took me and my brother and sister out trick or treating. It was the best time! But mom and dad came into the "truth? in the '50s and it ended quickly.

I ashamed to admit that when I married and had kids, we were the types to turn out the lights and pretend we weren't home.

Now I enjoy the holiday very much. Going to a party soon. I'm going as a surgeon and my wife is a naughty nurse!

Onintwo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit