Still prejudiced towards Halloween

by Snapdragon 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Snapdragon
    Snapdragon

I was just reading the thread on how to pick the proper pumpkin. (Thanks Xandria) It got me thinking how I still have this recoil factor when it comes to Halloween. It was always "Satan's Holiday" that I still tell my friends that I probably won't participate in the festivities when I decide to have children.

What do you guys do about this issue? I honestly still feel "different" from the rest of the world. I've been out since 1996, and have recently made the final chop to that stubborn umbilical cord. But while I enjoy most holiays and love my birthday gatherings, I just can't seem to give in fully to the holiday celebrations.

In what ways did you guys decide (or decline) to make the most of holidays?

~Snapdragon

• under74
    under74

I enjoy Halloween when I'm with my nephews...I kind of think it's meant more for the kids. The holdays are good but more because I live away from my family right now and the holidays are when I can see them. But I kind of understand what you mean. When I first started celebrating it was a bit awkward. I'm still not into my birthday much but I don't mind receiving presents for it.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    In what ways did you guys decide (or decline) to make the most of holidays?

It took a few years of being out before I felt completely comfortable with holidays. It really made a difference when I joined this board and realized "The Truth" was NOT "The Truth". I realized everything I learned growing up was false. Including the evil notions about holidays. So now days I make the most of the holidays. In reality, what is it hurting? It's a chance to gather with friends, have some fun, eat some great food. For Halloween, it's just about giving the children candy and letting them enjoy pretending to be someone else. For our church and some churches here in Dallas, they have "Fall Festivals" instead of Halloween Parties. They encourage the children to dress in costumes other than the traditional evil characters (ghosts, witches, monsters, etc.) and give candy to under privileged children.

• Nancy Drake
    Nancy Drake

I decided to just remove all the religion factors out of the holidays and make them all days that I could spend with the family and create tradition. I don't view Halloween as the Devil's holiday, it's just a day to create memories with my son and a reason to bake yummy treats! At Christmas, I am not viewing it as Jesus's Birthday, either. Just a day to be with family...and bake yummy treats!

Of course you have to do what's right for you and decide for yourself. I was excited to celebrate the holidays, but I don't observe some of them...

• Room 215
    Room 215

While I admit to getting a delicious thrill of having my spine tingled by ghost tales and well-done horror movies, I still think that this is the one thing the WT has gotten right: to me Halloween reeks, if not of paganism or satanism, then certainly of Neanderthal superstition. What good it does to annually dredge up the imagery of death for impressionable young kids is beyond me.

Pumpkins, burning leaves, the return of football and the concert/opera season, and apple cider are enough autumn for me. Of course, to each his/her own; I'll pass on Halloween.

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

Hi Snapdragon,
    You may find this link interesting

http://www.beliefnet.com/story/47/story_4771_1.html

Regards,
    Cicatrix

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Go to www. religioustolerance.org and check out their essays on halloween:

http://www.religioustolerance.org/hallowee.htm

It'll tell you, among other things, where the fear of Halloween comes from - evangelical Christian churches. And, as one of our posters said long ago in another context, "Since when do we allow Christendom to set our standards for us?"

I'm a neo-Pagan. For me, Halloween is a time to remember and honor the dead, and face my own mortality - while taking some of the sting out of it with the costumes and the candy. (I always make sure my dear, departed mother gets a little candy on Halloween night.) Unitarian Universalist churches are beginning to schedule Day of the Dead services for the Sunday closest to Halloween. It's not "worship of the dead," but more like a "Memorial Day for the civilian dead."

gently feral

• Snapdragon
    Snapdragon

Cicatrix: that is a great article, thanks. I printed it off and will keep it for future defense reasons. I am going to do a bit more research on my own to confirm the theologian's claims, though. I don't want any loop holes for my active JW family. Thanks a bunch.

Room: I completely agree with your assesment of fall. All those things you mentioned do thrill me. They're my consolations to the fact that I can't play outside in the dirt for another 6 months.

Nancy and Billygoat: I suspect that your attitudes are where I'm headed. It just seems like the natural path to follow.

Under74: Do you pass out candy at the door, and decorate your house? I haven't been able to do those two things yet. I'll admit to going to my sister-in-laws house one Halloween, but I just couldn't work up the nerve to pass out the treats. I was so nervous.

Any ideas about what I should dress like for a party I'm going to on the 31st? I don't think I'll ever get into the more ghoulish aspects of the holiday. I really can't think of any clever costumes, though.

~Snap

• johnny cip
    johnny cip

iv'e read a bit about holloween; it seems it first started in england centuries ago. with poor workers, or surfs taking a day to hound their lords or landowners etc. to give them a little extra pay. by masking thier faces and making lots of noise, etc. infront the lords house till the bosses gave out some food, etc. to appease the workers. as i see it , it was a form of protest. to keep the poor happy. john

• under74
    under74

Snapdragon- Yeah, I pass out candy (if I remember to buy candy). They're just little kids having a good time and it's the only time of year kids can safely accept candy from strangers. I don't go all out with house decorations. I think it might be different if there were kids in my house though. I think I'm at the point now where I know the holidays are rooted somewhere but it doesn't matter anymore--they're just for a good time. costume ideas? hmmm...I don't know. A friend of mine dressed up like a Mormon last year. I thought that was pretty funny.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit