What has changed since I left/got kicked out in '92?

by outbutnotdown 13 Replies latest jw friends

• onacruse
    onacruse

Gary:

Jehovah's Witnesses never make changes.

Respectfully, I'm inclined to take issue with you on this.

Craig

• garybuss
    garybuss

Craig, You wrote:

Respectfully, I'm inclined to take issue with you on this.

Please feel free:-) GaryB

• onacruse
    onacruse

LOL w/ Gary! It's folks like you that just make me "keep coming back."

The changes in the WTS that I perceive as inevitable (beyond what I outlined above), and which have been happening increasingly since the mid-90s, are along the lines of the SDA and Mormon churches (to use a couple of relatively recent examples).

I have to hand a recent primer that's used by the SDAs in their "studies," and not one word, not one single word, is said about 1844. And, in chatting with a lifelong SDAer who occasionally posts on this db, he told me that 1844 is a non-issue. Likewise, I have several primers (gawd-awlmighty, the LDS printing presses work even faster than the Brooklyn Manns LOL), and again, nary a word about their pre-existing eschatology.

As another example: down the road a bit south of us is one of those "mega-churches" with like 4 trillion members. When I was still going door-to-door, I ran into a couple of folks that went there, and I asked: "What is it about that church that makes so many of you go there? Is the pastor that charismatic??"

They laughed and said: "Oh, no; it's not that at all. It's just that there are so many support groups, and that's why I go there." Turns out that there are like 100+ such groups in that church (a membership of 4-5 thousand), and apparently the majority of those who go to that church do so for the support "group" they're in, and couldn't give a hoot-in-a-holler about the theology.

Thus, my remarks about about the WTS "changing." It is changing, perforce, and will change more, perforce, if only because the gb must, at all and any cost, maintain the appearance of growth; shades of The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism (Max Weber)...the cloth from which Knorr (from a Dutch Protestant background) and many other "old-timers" were cut.

Craig (of the "long-winded" class LOL)

• garybuss
    garybuss

Good job Craig! It seems to me the Watch Tower Corporation has really only had one core teaching since Rutherford's rule. That is . . . The Watch Tower Corporation speaks for God.

Once we fall for that concept, the corporation can sell us almost anything and the corporation's agents can do almost anything to us and we will submit to it.

Once that concept is gone, the corporation has lost ALL it's influence over those people like me that used to accept whatever they said and did. GaryB

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit