Do born-agains dominate EX-JW's?

by sleepy 25 Replies latest jw friends

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Didier:Whilst I appreciate your points, JW's can be compared to more than just Evangelical Christians.
    They could also be likened to Atheists, thus:

• They work for their living
    • They try to take care of their health
    • They try to show their children love, under the parameters that they can express it
    • They eat, sleep, breathe
    • The acknowledge various physical "authorities" in their lives

Would you say that Atheism might be a waystop for some exiting JW's??

Sleepy:
    Most folks don't give two hoots about an obscure, small (though viciously evangelical), strange cult called Jehovah's Witnesses.
    For all we were taught, quite a number of people have never heard of them...

Maybe the Pentecostal denominations are coming to terms with the affects of cults (since they've spawned a few themselves), and so it plays closer to home for them, leading to their desire to counter-advertise about it?

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

In my journey since leaving WTS (finally faded about 1979) I have found many have immediately replaced their dubdom with rabid, born-again, the bible and only the bible and me and my new group's view of the bible are the only correct way.

Others may have converted to christianity (I actually dont think of WTS as christians) but are far less rabid and live day-by-day on life's terms, and are far more accepting than the rabids.

There are plenty of us that become agnostic after our "fall from JW grace", as others on this thread have said, because we (I include myself) don't want to fall into another mind-numbing cult, and aren't sure if Jehovah is god, or if there is one or not, let along JC and the others.

Some of us agnostics move onto other, often non-christian, belief structures, and some don't. Me? I've moved on.

I like the comment "..I think the large variety of people on JWD offers a much more complex, truer and better picture". I think this is very valid. We have a good variety of people here, most tolerant, accepting, and most of all compassionate and loving. something most had to learn AFTER our exit. However, I think the overall feel of this board may disuade many rabid christians, as we are, overall, a compassionate bunch and won't tolerate being thumped (attacked).

2cents here

hugs

Bren

• CeriseRose
    CeriseRose

Okay then Sleepy, since I'm *obviously* reading way too much into it, and anything I say is discounted because it's not fitting your agenda/purpose, I'll give you the short answer.

No. Born-agains do not dominate Ex-JWs.

In the spirit of how you want that assessed, I have absolutely no proof or research to back it up, but I know it as fact. Oh, and anything you say in disagreement or of a varying opinion is null and void.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    Whilst I appreciate your points, JW's can be compared to more than just Evangelical Christians.
    They could also be likened to Atheists, thus:
    • They work for their living
    • They try to take care of their health
    • They try to show their children love, under the parameters that they can express it
    • They eat, sleep, breathe
    • The acknowledge various physical "authorities" in their lives

Would you say that Atheism might be a waystop for some exiting JW's??

Certainly, although not for the aforementioned reasons!

To which I would add two very obvious points:

1) no one alive has reached the end of his/her road yet;

2) the end of the road is not very likely to be anymore significant than any of the waystops...

I can only testify to what has been my experience thus far: from the JWs to a kind of (less and less) pietist and (more and more) critical Christianity down to a personal brand of post-Christianity, which includes atheism but is not a "rabid rationalism" (as you have probably gathered). I know of a few others who have walked a similar way.

I understand there is another pretty common pattern: out of the JWs to a complete rejection of religion, then into another religion because some genuine questions and needs have been left unsolved in the process.

The great thing on boards such as this one is that we are able to confront our experiences, from the point where we are standing, without implying that one is better than another.

Back to Sleepy's question, I tend to agree with several posters on this thread that the Christian ex-JWs are usually more visible to current JWs because they tend to be more militant. However this is not confirmed by my personal experience since my exit from JWs was also an exit from militantism. Even when I could call myself a Christian I wouldn't feel inclined to fight against the WTS to get people out of it. But that's just me...

This discussion about different ways reminds me of one intense period of my life: when I resigned from Bethel I was asked to stay there for another few months because there was a lot of work in the translation dept. I accepted. Among other things I was given the 1986 Yearbook to translate. This was, as always, a collection of stories and testimonies of people "divinely led" into and within "the Truth", who had their prayers answered and so on. I didn't doubt all of this back then. Yet I knew that I was on my way out, and I felt God (the very same God) was leading me out. I really could not understand why, and it was a very painful experience. Often I needed to stop and lock myself in the loo just to cry, breathe and pray: "God, I don't understand." Afterwards I thought that this experience was very helpful to me. You just don't understand anybody when you can look upon his/her experience and think: "he/she's mistaken, he/she'll realize later," or the like.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Didier:
    Now, now, no need for the rolling eyes - LOL
    I was only yanking your chain

...down to a personal brand of post-Christianity, which includes atheism but is not a "rabid rationalism" (as you have probably gathered).

I gathered. And it's the lack of hydrophobia that make you so pleasant to discuss things with

The great thing on boards such as this one is that we are able to confront our experiences, from the point where we are standing, without implying that one is better than another.

Agreed

Yet I knew that I was on my way out, and I felt God (the very same God) was leading me out. I really could not understand why, and it was a very painful experience.

Sounds similar to my last months. A very painful time indeed.

You just don't understand anybody when you can look upon his/her experience and think: "he/she's mistaken, he/she'll realize later," or the like.

Agreed. It would be condescending, at best

• garybuss
    garybuss

Am I agnostic? Hmmmm, I don't know . . . .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit