Fishing in the Northwest, Part II

by Steve Egner 14 Replies latest social physical

• Steve Egner
    Steve Egner

Farkel,

When I lived in the Pacific Northwest we used to fish for smelt. As I recall, it was on the Lewis River. Or should I say "scoop" for smelt?

"Fish", "scoop", or "dip", it's all good. I had my first experience smelt fishing when my son, Rhys, was four. We took turns walking downstream along the bank, pulling the net through the water, bringing up at least four or five 6"-8" smelt with every stroke. It didn't take long to fill our bucket!

I can't seem to get too excited over the thought of a dinner of smelt, although my mom and most local residents eagerly anticipate each annual run. Any fish that miss the dinner table are used as bait for Sturgeon.

Farkel, of the Lazy CLASS

If "Lazy" fisherman never fished, there would be no one out fishing, LOL!

Steve

• Princess
    Princess

Is smelt any good though? They're awfully small, what's the point really?

I just love those pics of the kids with their fish. They picked at them a bit but in the end gave the trout to Steve and ate the dolly varden instead. They love the smoked fish with eggs for breakfast though.

I love smoked fish, I just can't handle it at 7 in the morning. It's bad enough I have to pack up hummus for Steve's lunch at 7am, add fish to that smell and it's a bit over the top.

• Odrade
    Odrade

I'm so jealous... Beauty chinook! and the trout too. Whoa!

O

• Makena1
    Makena1

Steve, great description of your fishing trip and fantastic pictures. Those were some awesome catches!

Growing up, my dad and his building partner took us boys fishing quite a bit. I remember we hardly slept at all the night before we would leave in anticipation. There was nothing quite as exciting as seeing my bobber start dipping, and then plunge below the surface when we were fishing for bluegills, perch or crappie. Or, tight line fishing - seeing your pole start to bend in half. Frying up some of our catch for dinner was a great end to a wonderful day. We also used a net and scooped up plenty of smelt on the south shores of Lake Michigan when they were running. Occasionally also snagging a few big fish (salmon that had come in to the lake via the St. Lawrence Seaway?) who were feeding. I never got into fly fishing - but hope to some day!

Very happy for you and your family - and especially your youngsters who will look back on those times with fondness. Thanks again for sharing.

All best,

Mak and family

• Steve Egner
    Steve Egner

Hey Odrade,

Beauty chinook! and the trout too. Whoa!

Aren't those amazing creatures? We are fortunate to live in an area with so many healthy fisheries. I'll bring some of the smoked Dolly (trout) with me to your fest next weekend. It's a great appetizer, main course, or feline attractant, depending on the party...

Mak,

It sounds as though the pictures took you back a ways... Isn't that a great feeling? I go through the same thing when I view anyone's fishing pics. I aprreciate their experience, and re-live my own. I never get tired of that.

Very happy for you and your family - and especially your youngsters who will look back on those times with fondness.

Thank you! Cheers to you and yours!

Steve

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit