Why I will never be a Christian.....

by outbutnotdown 32 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

For all of you that don't believe that we are sinners at birth, why do you all teach your children to do bad things?

D Dog

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Just read this thread and enjoyed almost every line of it...

I agree with Markfromcali that the phrase "become like children" is a flagrant denial of the very concept of original sin. However, "Christianity" has been historically reduced to the "Paul-Augustine-Calvin" mainstream and its pessimistic anthropology. That's one of the reasons why I do not claim to be a "Christian" anymore.

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

I don't believe in Christianity anymore either. I think for many people, they may not see it, but they could be just hedging their bets that it's real and as a bonus, they win salvation.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Why I will never be a Christian is because it is divisive, hateful and hypocritical to name a few. I don't need someone telling me that in order to be a good human being, I have to follow an out of date theology. Living life to the fullest and doing good to others is my religion and the most divine thing a person can do. I have said it before, if Christianity is the only true way, may I be struck down dead this very instant.

Will

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

The more I think of it the more humorous it becomes,, I mean the God of the Bible,, has to have his own son put to death so that he can forgive people. I mean that's a wacko father if you ask me. What earthly father would allow the death of his own son to slowdown is anger as justice being served and now he can forgive everybody. I think they put people like that in prison today,, so if God were or an ordinary man he'd be in prison right now for murder, serial killing, and torture.

• Carmel
    Carmel

O SON OF SPIRIT!

Noble have I created thee, yet thou hast abased thyself. Rise then unto that for which thou wast created.

O SON OF MAN!

Upon the tree of effulgent glory I have hung for thee the choicest fruits, wherefore hast thou turned away and contented thyself with that which is less good? Return then unto that which is better for thee in the realm on high.

Baha'i World Faith, p. 158

carmel

• PointBlank
    PointBlank

Why I am Christian

It seems to me that some are not comprehending the disparity of sin. Babies are certainly the epitome of innocence. It's not that they have committed personal sins. We are all born innocent as far as that's concerned. The issue isn't committed sin, but inherent sin. It has to do with our very nature. Human nature is inherently sinful (tainted if you will).

Later on, this inherent sinfulness generates the unavoidable behavior of committed sins that occur throughout ones lifetime. There's nothing we can do to not sin.

Unless a person sees themselves the way God sees them (and He allows this to those that ask in faith), they'll never understand their own depravity, nor the significance of Jesus' death, or be able to accept Him as their Savior. After all, the sinless don't need a Savior.

PB

• Carmel
    Carmel

Never thought spiritual genetics was just as adumbrated by fundamentalist christians. I don't accept a god that holds the children responsible for the parent's behavior. Even human institutions are more just than that!

carmel

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

Basically the view I'm describing says sin is your unconsciousness, which would include the stuff you teach your children. So the question is does inherited sin exist, or is the process essentially one of unconscious conditioning, 'this is the case because I said so?' Does inherited sin exist just because some authority said so and you were taught so? Is the matter one of it's just the cards we are dealt or can we choose our behavior?

Human beings do of course hurt each other though, nobody is going to deny that, and we can call that sin. But frankly I have to say there can be this attitude under the banner of Christianity which basically passes the buck. The bible says the wages sin pays is death, I'm saying it is your death. I don't mean the end of the existence of this human organism or some implication of not living forever somewhere, but I mean the death of this unconsciousness which amounts to "you", the false self, which sometimes is a religious identity. In other words it is the death of dogmatic belief, (religious or not) also known as ego, which is unconsciousness. I would say Jesus can be an example of that, but have you gone through that dark night of the soul, or do you just believe that his death can somehow magically change your sins? See this view tells you why that would change, it would be because you have surrendered to the truth that 'you' have been deluded, lost in belief. It would in effect be the 'death' of sin, in the sense of unconscious, blind belief.

This message of course is not intended as something you should believe in, not only is it very different from the typical Christian belief but what I'm saying is it isn't about believing, period. It doesn't have to do with whether the things you believe in are true, but rather whether you only just believe in them. The question is how do you know such and such is the case, in this case the belief of inherited sin, is true? It is simply a question that needs to be addressed if there is to be any integrity. It's that whole noble minded Borean (sp?) thing, making sure for yourself.

• outbutnotdown
    outbutnotdown

Point Blank,

I have this poem up on my wall, near the door, so that I can see it everyday before I leave my house.

"It's Up to Me"

Outside my window

Another day.

It can be bright

Or it can be gray.

It can be filled

With tasks well done,

With love and friends,

With joy and fun.

The blessing of choice

Is given to me

To colour this new day

That I see.

You said:

Later on, this inherent sinfulness generates the unavoidable behavior of committed sins that occur throughout ones lifetime. There's nothing we can do to not sin.

I prefer to believe that we have a CHOICE in the matter..........

Brad

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit