B.C. A.D.

by homme perdu 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• homme perdu
    homme perdu

Why does the Watchtower not use these time measurement?

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

I'm not 100% sure, but since they were developed by a Catholic monk, I would guess that it probably happened as part of their general purge of all things "pagan".

Of course, they use the exact same system, just with different labels (BCE and CE).

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

I believe it means B.C.= before Christ and A.D.= after death

Here is a chart which may explain it better:

http://www.ancientanatolia.com/historical/chronology.htm

Kate

• Celia
    Celia

AD = Anno Domini = Year of our Lord

The JWs didn't want to use latin terms used by the Catholic Church....

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz
    The JWs didn't want to use latin terms used by the Catholic Church

.. and yet they use the Bible that the Catholic church canonized..

• Gordy
    Gordy

AD=Year of Our Lord. To the JW's the "Lord's Day" didn't begin until 1914. Plus it carries pagan influence.

B.C.E. = Before Common Era C.E. = Common Era, are both used in many places around the world, especially in "non-Christian" countries. So they can arrange dates etc to be compatible with "Christian" countries.

But also that many non-Christian countries use a timescale based on some event on their past.

To the Jews its 5762 since creation. To Moslems its 1425 based on Mohammeds flight to Yathrib in 622 ce.

To the Chinese its 4604 dating from 2600 bce when Emperor Huang Ti established their calendar.

So to say that everyone should use BC or AD is wrong it only applies to the Christian world.

In fact a while ago it was put forward in Britain that we should switch from using BCE and AD to using BCE and CE so as not to upset those of other faiths.

• RR
    RR

Oh c'mon guys ... they just wanted to be different!

In the 1920s, they even had their own calendars, where they chnaged the name of the days and months. It didn't go too well and it was changed back!

RR

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

RR... do you know exactly when they started using BCE and CE instead of BC and AD?

• RR
    RR

If I'm not mistaken it was 1982.

• Farkel
    Farkel

RR,

: In the 1920s, they even had their own calendars, where they chnaged the name of the days and months. It didn't go too well and it was changed back!

Not true. Clayton J. (Wacko) Woodworth came up with a new "Theocratic" and "Bliblical" calender and even Joseph Franklin (wacko) Rutherford thought it was stupid amd vetoed it.

It did get published in the "Golden Age" but it was never adopted and died along with the "Finished Mystery" and other wacky Woodworth crap. Woodworth as a piece of work, alright.

Reference: Penton's "Apocalypse Delayed"

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit