LYING TO YOURSELF!

by Terry 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry

I truly hope there are people "out there" somewhere who do not lie to themselves.

But, I suspect everybody does.

We might lie to ourselves about our weight, our looks, our prospects--anything--it seems to be "only human" to do so.

WHAT DO YOU LIE TO YOURSELF ABOUT? Do you know why you do?

• notperfectyet
    notperfectyet

I don't lie about myself, if anything I minimize who I am.

On the other hand, things in my life are at if you don't ask, I don't tell.

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Well I wouldn't call it lying to myself but perhaps others would say that I do this and that is that I still FEEL like a 20 year old or even younger (for the most part) even though I am soon going to be 34. Unfortunately for me I don't look as good as i did then but in my mind I still think that "I still Have it" I said that to my 21 year old wife just today and she rolled her eyes and said I don't

eduardo

• Happy Guy :)
    Happy Guy :)

I lie to myself often for example:

When I am hungry and I just can't wait until the food cools down and I know I will burn my mouth I still lie to myself that I won't (this only happens when I am very hungry or in a hurry to finish eating otherwise I am honest to myself about the temperature of the food and it's ability to scald).

Occasionally, but cetainly not often, I will lie to myself about how necessary it really is to stop whatever fun thing or important task I am doing to visit the washroom. This causes me discomfort occasionally.

I have lied to myself twice about whether I could continue driving and bypass the gas station i.e. how much gas I had in the tank.

I lie to myself about how I can afford to eat that scrumptuous dessert and how it won't really affect my physique.

I am sure there are many other examples but these are a few for now. I will post again when I can think of some more....or maybe I am lying to myself about that as well.

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

There is a difference between lying to yourself and lying about yourself. Of course the lie to yourself could be about yourself as well, like I am fat or thin when it is not the case. But there's also the matter of believing that is about your self when it is only about your weight or body. Yes that is one aspect of you, but the self deception implies one's sense of self is tied up with that aspect of body in the first place. That would be a bigger lie, as it is an underlying assumption that is never questioned and other lies are told to support it, and one is under the illusion that the survival of the lie is equal to the survival of oneself.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Would be "nice guys" lie to themselves by even believing they are all that "nice" in the first place. Women lie to themselves about both the quantity of nice guys out there, and their own deservedness of a "nice guy".

People who *act* fearless (or wear "fearless" t-shirts) are lying to everyone else, and most likely to themselves as well. This is expected among a group of high school jocks, but it is disasterous behaviour from the President of the United States.

It's dissapointing to realize just how dishonest-to-the-core we humans are. Koko the gorilla puts it in perspective for me; she has been known to blame breakage of things that her trainers know she broke on her pet kitten. I guess we're just wired this way.

• kls
    kls

I do it all the time. I keep telling myself my hubby will get out of the JW cult and someday life will be good and real when i know it will never happen. So i lie each day to myself to keep my sanity.

• gumby
    gumby

What is REALLY strange.... is that we are speaking of two people in one here

I mean.....think about it...........you can actually try and fool your own self as if there are TWO people living in our body. I wonder......who is the real self? Does any of us REALLY know our own self is? Is it the voice behind our actions, or the voice that tells us our actions are/will be....out of line? Maybe there is a spirit in us afterall. I hope my spirit is a sweet little blonde and she introduces herself to me someday.

Gumby

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

I have been a successful liar in the past, but it was only when I forced myself to actually believe them. I won a lawsuit in one instance, where I backed it up with phony documentation.

I have lied when the person I'm telling the truth to won't believe what I tell them (ex-husband on why I was leaving) so I told him the lies he wanted to hear. Then I told him the truth again, but he prefered to believe the lies. 7 years later, and he still prefers to believe the lies. For him it's easier than the truth.

Today my lies are usually those of omission... don't ask, don't tell.

I know I'm fat. I know I don't look good, nor dress well anymore. I have my reasons (which are not excuses).

Oh, yeah, excuses are lies, usually as much to one's self as to the person they are telling them to.

However, I really do my best to be on the up-and-up, because lies become tangled webs. I also will not tolerate anyone lying to me, and will call them on it, even my spousal unit, Kevan.

Hugs

Bren

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

-I tell myself that people care about me, but in reality only one or two do.

-I tell myself I am smart and beautiful, but I know I'm average.

It works for me for the most part though..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit