independence day hurrah

by buffalosrfree 14 Replies latest jw friends

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

Being an American the thoughts I have recently thought have a lot to do with Independence day Jul the 4th God isn't it great.

Independence day the day we left the borg the day we finally became free. People destined to lead their own lives and not be held in bondage by anyone, not any organization religious or otherwise.

I spent 24 years serving my country in the military. From the Jungles and mountains of Vietnam to the Florida coast through duty in over 24 countries I have traveled and nothing brings out the hairs on my arms as the Star Spangled Banner I love that song. But more than anything I love being free, I now have my own thoughts, I can come to my own conclusions, I can make my own mistakes and not have to fear or deal withOUT ASSHOLES IN SHEEPS CLOTHING COMMONLY CALLED ELDERS trying to rule my life and live of my family.

Yes yeah though we walked through the valley of death (the borg)we are now a free people for we no longer are afraid of you surely goodness and mercy will follow us all the days of our lives. Enjoy it, feel it, breathe it, isn't it great. Oh say can you see the light gleaming, gleaming that is without the clouds of the borg masquerading as true light. Just my $.02 on the eve of another glorious Independence day, I get to celebrate two of them a year. regards Buff.

• Princess
    Princess

I never thought of celebrating an independence day from the borg. What a fabulous idea! The last time I (we) set foot in a KH was memorial 1997. HOORAY!

Tomorrow we are going to the heart of our pretty little town located on Puget Sound to register our babes ages 3 & 4 in the kids parade. We will all be wearing our matching Old Navy flag shirts and my prince and I will march along side the kids as they ride their little bikes complete with training wheels and decorated with tiny flag windsocks on the handlebars. I can't wait. We plan to eat pancakes at the Sons of Norway annual July 4th pancake breakfast. After the parade we are going to a big BBQ with all our friends (none have ever been remotely interested in JWs).

Should be a "blast".

Princess

"...and they lived happily ever after."

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Buff and Princess,

Iam with you both. I get real tired of all the USA bashing going on around this place. As one of my favorite radio talk show hosts puts it 'Pick a Better Country'.

I get the same hair raising feeling when hearing the anthem and songs like 'God Bless the USA' by Lee Greenwood.

We who never had the opportunity to serve this country, are in debt to those who have done so. I have this very clear in my mind. I wish that there was something an older guy could do to show it. I tried to offer my services to the Guard a few years back, but rules are rules.

This celebration is warranted. We have a great country, we should be proud.

Danny

• Not Perfect
    Not Perfect

Hi,

Just been thinking along the same lines. I was in the borg. for 30 years, almost to the day Da'd myself after being on the net and finding out the real "Truth". I hope that all of us, no matter where we live, can spend a moment dwelling on our freedom tomorrow. Hurrah! for us, now we need to help the others feel the freedom that we feel.

Thanks for the reminder, Not Perfect (and never will be)

• Princess
    Princess

Hi Not Perfect, I haven't seen you here before. Welcome, hope to read more from you in the future!

Princess

"...and they lived happily ever after."

• Tina
    Tina

To all my Fellow Americans!

Have a fun and safe holiday! Get the barbie going,friends around! Celebrate!!!! luv,Tina

• larc
    larc

Buff,

I was raised in the religion, and so I had no patriotic feelings growing up. I left it when I was in my mid twenties. I noticed over time, that my patriotism went from zero to a lot. I love hearing the National Anthem. I have an especially good feeling today about my country.

Last night, my wife and I went to see the fire works downtown. Afterwards, we were walking to our car, and a man in a car on the congested street said something to us. I turned, not knowing just what to expect and asked him what he had said. He repeated in a louder voice, "Happy fourth of July." My wife and I liked that and proceeded to say the same thing to people we passed on the side walk. It was a good day.

Thank you for bringing up this subject.

• Francois
    Francois

Well said Tina, especially the SAFE part. Too many of us become a little irrationally exuberant on the forth.

Though I am American, I've found the lyrics of the Finnish national anthem to be so beautiful, so reflective of the sentiments of a spiritual people, I wanted to pass them on to you my friends who seem pretty spiritual to me:

this is my song
    oh god of all the nations
    a song of peace
    for lands afar and mine

this is my home
    the country where my heart is
    here are my hopes
    my dreams my holy shrine

but other hearts
    in other lands are beating
    with hopes and dreams
    as true and high as mine

my countries skies
    are bluer than the ocean
    and sunlight beams
    on clover leaf and pine

but other lands
    have sunlight too and clover
    and skies are everywhere
    as blue as mine

oh hear my song
    oh god of all the nations
    a song of peace
    for their land and for mine

Francois

Where it is a duty to worship the Sun you can be sure that a study of the laws of heat is a crime.

• Tina
    Tina

Hi Francoise,
    Is that Sibelius' Finlandia? A very regal sounding anthem indeed! For reasons I dont remember we were taught that in grammar school.
    Have a happy 4th! hugs,T

Larc,it is a day of good feelings in general! I can walk down my street and get dragged into several BBQ's,,,people feel pretty generous and united at this time I think(maybe the beer flowing helps? lol) I too,love to see the fireworks. Several large displays go on,the one on Lake Michigan(Navy Pier) is exceptionally done! You and Zazu have a good one!.hugs,T

• Englishman
    Englishman

Congratulations America on 225 years of Independence!

I would also like to congratulate you on 225 years of Freedom. Sadly, however, I can't do that if you are still tied in to the WTBTS, because you still haven't got even the right to express your opinions without fear of reprisal. Surely, freedom of speech was one of the basics when the constitution was first put forward?

Correct me, please, if I'm mistaken.

Englishman.

..... fanaticism masquerading beneath a cloak of reasoned logic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit