WHAT IF WE DIDN'T POISON CHILDREN'S MINDS WITH LOGIC?

by czarofmischief 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Maybe kids wouldn't be so annoying? I mean, that kid who knew all the facts in school got beat upa lot for a reason. He was annoying! I should know, I dangled many a time over the toilet bowl of opprobrium thanks to my grasp of science, math, and theology.

So why is logic so annoying? I'll tell you why - because it doesn't do any good. You can reason your way around all day and you'll still be the first one voted off the island. Whereas the one who can inspire the masses is the one sitting with the immunity necklace.

Dreams are better than reality. It's just the way it is. You don't get married for forty miserable years, cancer, and death. You get married for a dream. Sure, it doesn't always work, in fact it usually doesn't. But sometimes, that one in a million marriages, makes it through. Sometimes.

Reality blows big chunks. Be drunken, mortals, be drunken on your dreams.

Besides, dreams become reality more often than you might want to admit. You need to believe in the tooth fairy to learn to beleive in money. And money is just a collective hallucination that it doesn't bear much to thin about - you'll panic if you realize that your entire life's work is a pile of papers that you can't even use to efficiently wipe your tush.

And if you can grasp money, maybe you can hallucinate justice. Or charity. Or love. it ain't in the logic, guys, but the things that are truly beautiful aren't very practical at all.

CZAR of the drunken mortal klass

• Mac
    Mac

I guess we'd then be poisening them with dumbassedness....choose yer weapon?

mac

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

While we are at it: why don't we just allow children to be children?

• dh
    dh

Logic is what you use to make your dreams happen, and if you only ever dream you will never achieve anything.

For example. I dream I want to get married? Logic would have it that I have to look for the right girl, make all the arrangements, be in a position to pay for it all, and have sound enough judgement to be confident in my decisions.

Logic would also have it that for it to work I must make it work, not just dream that it will work.

The dream is the spark, logic is what enables us to make things happen.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Ah, but no matter how much logic you put into the decision to get married, you'll never anticipate everything. It's impossible. It's a leap of faith, in fact, without blind faith you can't make a marriage work, or even get it started. And if the presence of the unanticipated, the illogical, throws you, you'll fall down go boom! Fly, neo, fly! believe in yourself....

CZAR

• Satanus
    Satanus

It's true, it doesn't work. But logic doesn't work w kids, anyway. Heck, it only works on some adults some of the time. Countries aren't run on logic. Only accountants run on it. Everyone knows how boring they are*.

*Xena excepted

S

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing
    I dangled many a time over the toilet bowl of opprobrium

Wow! Anyone who is drunk and can still use vocabulary like that gets an A+ in my book!

You can reason your way around all day and you'll still be the first one voted off the island. Whereas the one who can inspire the masses is the one sitting with the immunity necklace.

This is so true. That is why politicians run the world and not smart people! My favorite saying since leaving the org is "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." This applies to the world in general, though I always liked to apply to the JW file and rank.

Reality blows big chunks. Be drunken, mortals, be drunken on your dreams.

Unfortunately dreams do not pay the mortgage ... reality does! I do save my dreaming for when I am drunk, though!

• dh
    dh
    Ah, but no matter how much logic you put into the decision to get married, you'll never anticipate everything. It's impossible. It's a leap of faith, in fact, without blind faith you can't make a marriage work, or even get it started. And if the presence of the unanticipated, the illogical, throws you, you'll fall down go boom! Fly, neo, fly! believe in yourself....

One of my closest friends made a decision to get married when he was 16, it's part of his culture but he didn't have to do it so young, but he did because if he didn't, then maybe that girl would have married someone else. He's now 30, he has 5 kids and is still married to the same girl, happily. His logical decision is what made the thought into reality.

I see it as naive to base decisions on blind faith and just love, the same as I see it as a waste of thought process to dream but never crunch the numbers to make it happen, and I say that after a life spent chasing dreams by logical means. Emotion is not a sound foundation, you need a whole more than what you think and feel to make anything happen. People who base their decisions on just love & faith are leaving themselves open to a whole lot more hurt than someone who bases their decisions on something of substance.

I stand by what I say because I think logic and reason are the only way we achieve anything that lasts.

Logic isn't about anticipating everything, you don't need to anticipate everything, you just need to have sound enough mind to know that you will deal with whatever comes. I do not anticipate everything, but I know I can deal with anything thrown at me, and though I was not taught to do it, I have been like this since I was a child, so maybe it is just my nature.

• Panda
    Panda

Would it be fair to call logic by another name...common sense? Thomas Paine wrote about it and probably would be amazed that over 200 years have not improved it. Yeah, his was about political action but it all rolls over doesn't it? The Enlightenment , Ahhhhh I wish it wasn't dying.

Czar... you have big brains... nobody will like you because no one likes to think that they don't know everything. Brilliance and genius are much more than logic. And really if logic were involved in marriage we'd all have arranged marriages. I was crazy in loooove when we got married. Now I would would have to say I'm plain old in love. Maybe it's because we had to grow up together? But we've never been logical about our relationship... over 30 yrs...illogic must be good for marriage.

• Corvin
    Corvin

czarofmischief, that was a truly beautiful peice of thought. It was . . . logical.

Corvin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit