How Did You Describe Awake! On The Door?

by Englishman 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

When I first started selling the mags from door to door I was but a wee lad of 9 years old. ( 9 years old! What a bleedin' travesty! My parents must have been bonkers to allow such a thing!)

Anyway, I had this sort of gabbled spiel that I used for over 15 years. It went something like this:

"Good morning. We're just making a brief call on you and your neighbours in the area with our 2 magazines the Watchtower and Awake. The Watchtower deals with Bible subjects and the Awake is just like the Readers Digest and you can have them both for a contribution of 8 pence."

Most folk back then used the Readers digest routine when referring to the Awake! magazine. We did charge 8 old pence back then, which is around 3.5 new pence now.

So, this is my question. How did you describe the mighty Awake! mag when talking to householders?

Englishman.

• Freedom Fighter
    Freedom Fighter
    "Good morning. We're just making a brief call on you and your neighbours in the area with our 2 magazines the Watchtower and Awake. The Watchtower deals with Bible subjects and the Awake is just like the Readers Digest and you can have them both for a contribution of 8 pence."

Yup - that's practically word for word what I used to say - the only change was the price - I think it was 50p when I did it. The only difference was that I said, the Watchtower and it's companion magazine the Awake.

There are few memories that make me cringe more than that!

FF

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

yep..must have been a common approach in the Uk...was the readers Digest with mt too!

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

"A really swell bird cage and cat box liner.... only a nickle, Ma'am"

-------Hill

• dh
    dh

Yep, pretty much that, but we were taught to vary the presentation slightly depending on what the magazines were about...

"Good morning. We're just making a brief call on you and your neighbours in the area with our 2 magazines the Watchtower and Awake. The Watchtower deals with whatever it says on the cover and the Awake is about... Do I Have To Die, Will The Wars Ever End, Why The World Is Doomed, Crime & Why It Is Hopeless To Fight It... and did you know that humming birds flap their wings 300 times in one second? You can have them both for a contribution of 12 pence." (inflation!)

I remember the CO coming aroung and giving a talk telling us we should not say the word 'just' in the presentation, because we're not JUST doing that, we're giving them everlasting life, and everlasting life is not something you JUST do!

Lunatics.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

I didn't. My line was: "Would you like some magazines to read in your free time? OK, enjoy your day."

If I described them, I might have been asked questions about them. How the heck would I know what they said?

Kwin

• Jez
    Jez

I lied. I said, "Good morning, we find that many of your neighbors are concerned about (insert topic) and find that this magazine provides a solution." No, neighbors were not concerned but it helped sales, if my neighbor is concerned, then so too must I....plus we were encouraged NOT to say WT and AWAKE, rather, "this magazine."

• Farkel
    Farkel

We were taught to call Awake! "a science and news journal."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Farkel

• Corvin
    Corvin

I remember that it was recommeded that we present the AWAKE! Magazine as a "timely news journal that deals with current events and how they pertain to Bible prophecy".

• Englishman
    Englishman

Hi Doug,

Nice to see you again and many thanks for the good wishes in an earlier thread.

Kindest regards,

Mike.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit