Stupid people

by tattoogrl333 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• royboy
    royboy

Tattoo= I was in the org. for 30 yrs and out 5. 5 yrs were spent as an elder. I say this because I believe I have a lot to offer christians in the churches. To give them some insight into a cult members mind. I have gone to several churches in my area offering to help christians to overcome the errors and deceptions of those who come right to their doors. I have given a few workshops, but most pastors are not interested. several have said to me, "All we need to learn is the truth and we will be able to dispell the errors. This is the same thing we were told in order not to investigate other teachings. However, on many occasions I would present something from a witnesses point of view and they would not be able to overcome the objection. It has been very discouraging to me to see the apathy within the churches and their lack of interest in trying to reach out to those who are trapped in the cults. However, there are some christians who are sincerely interested in learning so we must not give up in trying to reach them.

Roy

• LadyBug
    LadyBug

This thread reminded me of a song which used to put me in a much better state when stupidity got me riled.

Galaxy Song from the Meaning of Life from Monty Python

About .....When Life gets you down

"Lets hope that theres intelligent life somewhere up in space,
    cause theres bugger all down here on earth."

Sorry just my sick, warped sense of humor peeking through again.

BEW

• Free2Bme
    Free2Bme

Tattoo,

When people leave the JW's for whatever reason some are turned off religion altogether, some hang on to WT beliefs (until they discover the internet usually lol) and others feverishly seek to find the real truth.
    My opinion on the matter is you cannot find something that does not exist.
    As soon as you realise no person or book or organisation or religion can possibly give you the answers to life's burning questions -only THEIR concept of truth -then you can get on with your life and let all the stupid people masquerading as great intellectuals squabble it out between them.

Free

• think41self
    think41self

Hi Tattoo

Welcome to this board! You have been given some great ideas already.

I will add this: When I left the borg, I missed "the idea" of a loving, caring, forgiving, all-knowing God...not the "reality" of having this God in my day to day life and struggling to please him all the time.

After some personal growth, and struggling with my own issues, I realised that I was really seeking MY OWN approval...I did not love and accept myself completely for who I was. Once I did that, I did not feel the need for a God, or anyone else, to give me validation. I now know who I am and what I have to offer to this world, and I am having a great time doing it!!!

I hope you hang around here for awhile, make some good friends, and share your personal growth with us, because we all are still learning.

Take care my friend,

Tracy

• Ruben
    Ruben

I too have been studying with a Jehovah wittness and still go to Catholic Church with my wife and kids. I too have asked question about what I have been taught and wanted to know if there was anything they can add to this, weather it be negative or positive. When the other clergy hear the name Jehovah they just do not want to talk about anything that is associated with them. It seems that what they are teaching has alot of truth to it, but so many people tell me to be careful and to not be pulled in to the cult. But they give no explamation as to why. I am so sick that some clergy will not take the time to talk to it's members. I think this is wrong on their part. Plus I have learned so much about the bible from them. I follow my bible and they read out of theirs. Yes, of there belifs I do not like and never will. Please tell me if I am wrong to want to learn more about the bible even if it is from a JW>

• outnfree
    outnfree

Tatoo girl,

I have another take on what might have happened with the pastor you mentioned: He just might not be one who is able to think well on his feet. It may not have been about rejecting dialog at all, but that he was not a competent teacher.

The reason I am saying this is because I have been attending a lovely non-denominational church. I have attended four different Bible study classes, taught by 3 different elders and the pastor. Of all these men, the pastor is the WORST teacher!!! He must know this at some level, because he relies heavily on study aids, even when he has substituted (twice now) for the Adult Sunday School class where we study the Bible without any study aids. He just produces written material or a tape and doesn't spend too much time on reflection.

On the other hand, he is a warm person that you'd love to have at your bedside were you hospitalized; the atmosphere at "his" church is very loving and outreach kind and real; and he's a good storyteller, which makes the Sunday sermons inviting, too!

And when I discussed my Jehovah's Witness experience and beliefs with him in a private interview, he was welcoming and non-judgmental. However, I must agree that he was singularly UNinterested in trying to refute what I believed (or disbelieved). He said that I was welcome DESPITE not believing all that was preached from the pulpit as long as I didn't try to proselytize.

So my question to you was, did you waylay this preacher after services in the foyer while he was trying to greet his entire body of congregants or did you arrange a meeting which he hurried out of?

My suggestions to both you and Ruben would be this:

1/ Arrange a private meeting with a non-denominational evangelical
    pastor of your choice.

2/ Explain your desire to know the Bible more thoroughly and ask
    the specific questions you may have (write them down first and make a copy for the minister, too?).

3/ See if there are any Adult Bible study classes at the church and attend those. (After years of the Witnesses telling me that NOBODY had the "truth" like them and that ONLY THEY offered in-depth Bible instruction, I found that to be a lie like so much else.)

4/ Read those books about the lives and customs of ancient peoples and first century Jewish culture to gain perspective on the world the Bible writers were actually writing about. This will help you forget what you already know about how it all turns out... something that is difficult to do, but crucial to understanding the Scriptures, I think.

I must say that overall, I am leaning the way Bugsy, Intro and Think above have expressed themselves. There are many things that we just cannot know, never will know, but I also believe the journey getting to that point is personal and best traveled within oneself. Only then will you be at peace with your conclusions.

Also, I too picked up on your statement about needing forgiveness. Be kind to yourself, as waiting said, by being the first to forgive yourself. And move on from there.

Ruben,

RUN from the Witnesses. What you don't understand at present (and what the Witnesses will never tell you up front) is that once you become a Witness you are not allowed to "not like" some of their beliefs. In fact you are not even allowed, according to the August 1, 2001 Watchtower to THINK differently from anything that is taught by the Organization. (Ask your study conductor for a copy and read for yourself!) Trust me that there are other places where you can learn your Bible just as well without being forced to conform in thought, dress, entertainment choices, etc.

I wish both of you the best and welcome to the board!

outnfree

Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?

• cathy4school
    cathy4school

Rubin, I don't think you are wrong at all to want to learn about the Bible. As I have stated I learned alot from the witnesses from Bible studies because most of what is taught is mostly common sense, I just don't like the control and the hypocrisy that is amongst the people. I feel I am a free spirited individual and do not need someone else telling me step by step how to live my life. I surely know how to do that on my own. I truly believe the ten commandments say it all. Plain and simple don't you think?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit