For Those Of you Who Still Believe That the Bible Is A Rational Work

by Joe Bloggs 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Balsam
    Balsam

Being in the process of reading Karen Armstrong book "Battle for God" I've learned a lot from a historical perspective. The thing is since the advent of Christianity as an accepted governmental religion they have been trying to turn the writing in to fact when they were written Myth. A way of explaining life on the earth, and God they could not see or touch. There is just no way for stories such as those in the bible to be turned into historically accurate fact and proved scientifically. It was never meant to be anyway. As everyone has said here, that was never the intention of early bible writers to provide something that could be disected scientifically and proved. It is based on Myth and that myth provides people with a sense of hope and salvation from a world they can not understand. An explaination for what they precieve God is all about. I can see the value of it even today in our world with all the scientific knowledge we have. We still need those comforting stories of God caring, and looking after us. I think the thing is that Jews, Christians and Islam want to take it all literally as a statement of fact rather than what it is Mythos.

I am only now beginning to find value to it. It took me a while though to see it.

• Annanias
    Annanias

Okay, so let me get this straight, because you consider the Syrian steam engine a "toy" that discounts it? And because somebody can find a publisher to print his theory on the pyramids, that makes it right? I see. You didn't answer the question guys, which part of the Bible did you find as being out of tune with physics? How id Machu Pichu get built? Stonehenge?

Quotes - you might study a bit on the progrssion of science and acientific thought. Archimedes did some fairly interesting stuff, but since Setmor Cray hadn't been born yet I guess that makes it all just fun and games. Let's see, the Egyptians have batteries, the Chinese have batteries, but because they didn't invent Las Vegas, they were just messing around?

Panda - Is Carl Sagan the best you can come up with? "I see that by your premise you are part of the anti-Enlightenment culture which is sending us back to the Dark Ages (not a nice time for educated folk)." Which "premise" might that be? You might try reading a bit of history yourself, if you can managed to overcome your "enlightened" conceit, you might find it helpful. To which "Dark Ages" do you refer? To which "educated folk" are you referring?

Your original premise was that because "modern" science (which isn't really all that modern) can tell us with some degree of accuracy (but by no mean definitively) a little more about our universe than we knew yesterday. Because we've managed to bend some of this understanding into neat shapes and things (some of which may kill us in a flash) that proves the Bible is an irrational collection of fables and stories that only children would listen to. One does not follow the other. You are bending reality and logic into as unreasonable a conjecture as you ever cackled the Bible to be doing. And that is going to bring about your boogieman "Dark Ages" faster than 1000 JW's knocking on your door.

• Quotes
    Quotes

Hi Annanias,

First off, I just *categorized* the ancient engine as a toy -- true only by today's standars, I freely admit. Your description ("engine") implies (to those not familiar with the subject) that they had engines -- in the modern sense of the word -- used as sources of mechanical power which was used to do some work (e.g. milling, pumping water, etc). However, that clearly was not the case, IIRC. It should NOT be discounted, and it is mentioned in every Sci/Tech history book I've read. However, it was never harnessed to do actual work, all it did was spin around. A nice start that went nowhere. Calling this device an "engine" is possibly would be as misleading as calling a Pinwheel a "Windmill".

=======================
    you might study a bit on the progrssion of science and acientific thought
    =======================

Happy to oblige, can you suggest further reading? I mean in addition to the classics "A history of the Sciencs" (Stephen F. Mason) and "The Copernican Revolution" (Thomas S. Kuhn).

=======================
    Archimedes did some fairly interesting stuff, but since Setmor Cray hadn't been born yet I guess that makes it all just fun and games
    =======================

I assume you mean Seymour Cray (for whom Cray computers is named)? I'm not trying to pick at a typo, I just want to make sure we are talking about the same person. Assuming that is who you meant.... NO, I didn't say that. You have created a "Straw man argument". Archimedes is an important part of this history of science, I would not dismiss his contributions just because they are ancient. The point is that these early attempts were the EXCEPTION, not the rule, to rational thought at that time. That's why those jewels of early discovery are so few and far between.

=======================
    Your original premise was that because "modern" science (which isn't really all that modern) can tell us with some degree of accuracy (but by no mean definitively) a little more about our universe than we knew yesterday. Because we've managed to bend some of this understanding into neat shapes and things (some of which may kill us in a flash) that proves the Bible is an irrational collection of fables and stories that only children would listen to.
    =======================

Again, a straw man argument. Modern science (which I agree, is not necessarily "modern", since the principles of testing hypothesis require no advanced modern technology and *COULD* have been more widely used in anceint times than it was) does not prove the bible is based on ancient mythology.

Rather, a careful study of ancient mythology demonstrates that.

All our current body of knowledge does is add further weight to that literary analysis. For example, there is not only no evidence to prove an world wide flood occurred ~5000 years ago, but also plenty of evidence to prove that it did not and could not have happened. Alternatively, biblical geneaology (sp?) says that man was first here only 6000 years ago, but we have recorded history for 10,000 and archaeological evidence of homo sapiens for ~50,000 years.

===================================
    And because somebody can find a publisher to print his theory on the pyramids, that makes it right?
    ==================================

I applaud your skepticism; I encourage you to widen it out a bit. Can I assume you have no intention of reading the books I suggested in my earlier post?

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

It is a collection of works designed to present the Christian myth to the Roman world. THAT'S ALL IT IS! It is a political tool designed to consolidate power under the Roman Emperor by establishing a state religion.

It also contains references to the tyrannical Nero and Domitian and presents Constantine as the King that would rescue all Christians and the rest of the world, in Revelation.

THAT'S IT! It isn't inspired,there is no "canon" and there is no practical applications of prophecy to today!

CZAR

• seven006
    seven006

Awww come on Annanias, You didn't have to call me a wise guy, I much prefer the term smart ass. Wise guy is just a little too Tony Saprono for me. As much as I'd like to play with you I'm backed up with three big illustration jobs to do so I can't. Besides, those who have replied to you are doing as good and even a better job than I would do making you look as sharp as a doughnut. I would also come of as condescending, I'm bad like that, but I'm trying to do better. Read some books, and I don't mean ones with picture of jesus patting little kids on the head or dot to dot exercises that result in pictures of man eating lions licking the ears of baby lambs. Anyway, thanks for putting me in my place, I needed it. May the farce be with you. Dave

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit