The Ryder Cup !

by Simon 34 Replies latest social physical

• Simon
    Simon

Europe has made a great start and are currently kicking America's ass erm, "dominating" America 3.5 - 0.5

Montgomerie & Harrington had a great win over the top two American players, Woods & Mickelson.

So far, there has been no repeat of the poor behaviour when it was last held on US soil. Let's hope it stays that way.

• Joe Bloggs
    Joe Bloggs
    Montgomerie & Harrington had a great win over the top two American players, Woods & Mickelson

Aren't they the no.1 and no.3 in the world?

Joe

• Simon
    Simon

No, they are ranked 2 and 4 (Woods just lost the #1 spot to Vijay Singh).

Mickelson seems to have put his own pay-packet ahead of the team chances by accepting a new sponsorship deal and switching clubs the week before the tournament.

• Joe Bloggs
    Joe Bloggs

Sorry that my stats were not up to your standards, Simon. My point was that "we" beat them darned 'mercans in that match even though they had their biggest guns a-playing!

HeHe

Joe

• Simon
    Simon

Yeah, I know - individually they are ranked way ahead of Montgomery but he always performs much better in the team event than Tiger does.

11 more points and it's ours

• Gopher
    Gopher

Apparently the American public takes less interest events like this than other countries do. There's also a team tennis event and the American team underperforms there too. I'm so apathetic to that event that I can't even remember its name!

So the Americans on the Ryder cup team apparently are mirroring their sporting public's disinterest in the event.

There was a LOT more interest here in the Olympics, as shown by how NBC dominated the ratings during those 2 weeks. Correspondingly, the Americans had a very successful showing in Athens.

Anyhow - the Americans tend to fall behind at the Ryder Cup and then make a comeback towards the end. So beware.

EDITED to add: I just remembered, the international tennis tournament is the DAVIS CUP, and I see it will be held in just 7 days from now.

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

Umm....What is the Ryder cup?

Devon

• Gopher
    Gopher
    Umm....What is the Ryder cup?

See? An American responds! OK... It's the 35th annual golf match between teams of some of the best golfers in the USA and in Europe. The scoring is not the usual "total number of shots" scoring, but based on who wins the most holes. If you're "2 up", that means you're two ahead. If you're three holes up with two to play, the match ends with the score of "3 and 2". It's being played in Michigan (USA) this year. www.rydercup.com

• Princess
    Princess

Glad someone else asked what the Ryder cup is.

All I have to say about golf is "Yawn".

• Simon
    Simon

Americans seem to dislike anything they can't be guaranteed to win at.

The things they can be certain to win are sports that only they play ... and they just declare them 'world series'.

The Ryder Cup is a big event and it's always close. Europe does better in the team games and America in the individuals.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit