Maybe I'm just a worry-wart...

by ConcernedMom 10 Replies latest jw friends

• ConcernedMom
    ConcernedMom

Have any of you ever read the book "The Chrysalids"? After a nuclear holocaust, the society has become intolerant of any "deviation from the norm" in crops/animals/people and so the burn/kill/exile them respectively to keep everything pure. A group of kids has developed the ability to communicate telepathically but must keep it a secret or they will be considered deviants. For the most part, they don't even know each others identities so if one of them suddenly stops communicating, they don't know why. Was the person discovered?? Are they okay?? Will they incriminate (under torture) the rest of the group?? So...my point...when someone on this board (a teenager) that has been posting, frequently but secretly, stops posting without any warning, do you worry about them?? Or are you used to people coming and going so you just assume that they have moved on to other interests etc??? Is it just the mother in me that makes me imagine the worst case scenario?

• Mulan
    Mulan

I have worried about some of them too, but what can we do if they are anonymous?

• Odrade
    Odrade

No, we definitely worry. Some of us usually try to find out discreetly (and behind scenes) if they are alright, if possible.

• Odrade
    Odrade

btw, that doesn't mean we have any resources to track them down if they truly stay anonymous. But some of the kids will let us know who they are through PM or email.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

What's worry-warting? I'll have to tell Mrs Ozzie that one!

To get on-topic, I know for myself there are many posters who i haven't seen for a long time that I miss and, well, I guess for some I am concerned to.

If we don't know them personally or how to contact then we're left with our worry-warts.

Ozzie

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I haven't read the book, but I can tell you that there have been posters here who have been uncovered (discovered), and a couple have been teenagers. I can also tell you the Society does monitor this site (hi boys). So the cardinal rule is never reveal anything about yourself that you wouldn't want broadcast to the entire world (www = world wide web).

Having said that, realize that anyone can be anything behind these user names. It has happened that fake personas have been perpetuated for some time, and it'll probably happen again. But yes, people do move on. Maybe it's for the good, maybe it isn't. But the way I look at it is we are all on a journey and if someone comes to this board and it doesn't work out then perhaps this is not the right place or right time for them. At some point we have to let the anxieties go and trust that what is supposed to happen, will happen eventually.

Chris

• ConcernedMom
    ConcernedMom

That was quick! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. Ozziepost, maybe it's worrywort??? I've never had reason to have to spell it before. Incidentally, in the book, the kids are rescued by the advanced "think-talking" society from Australia and taken there to live without persecution for being different.

• IronGland
    IronGland
    . I can also tell you the Society does monitor this site

How do you know. And who does the monitoring. Is it some type of clearence they need? Monitor it for what purpose?

• ConcernedMom
    ConcernedMom

"At some point we have to let the anxieties go and trust that what is supposed to happen, will happen eventually" Thank you Chris. That's something I definitely need to work on (with my own kids too--not just anonymous ones here).

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

It's a bit like going to a restaurant, eh Chris??

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit