Threw Away My Last JC Penny's Suit Tonight...

by Confucious 19 Replies latest jw friends

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

It was funky! My parents called it the "Used-Car salesman" suit. I also had a gold coloured one with big flashy buttons and wore a bright blue shirt underneath it, and wore a few sports jackets that I wore with cords. I felt the way I expressed earlier. So I had fun with it. You know, I remember listening to a special needs talk, saying that men COULD ONLY WEAR WHITE DRESS SHIRTS! Evidently, it was a worldly trend to wear coloured shirts. What a crock. I don't remember Jesus ever saying to wear a suit. I think it was the other way around, don't dress to impress. But I guess it's a form of control, more money on expensive suits, means less money for evil persuits. Just an idea anyway.

Kwin

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I threw out my suits a long time ago. I'm glad to be rid of them.

To this day, I absolutely detest having to dress up.

• avishai
    avishai

Always was a slave to weird fashion, still am. I always wore loud 40's ties, and 40's suits when I could find 'em. Still like old suits, and loud ties.

I found a tie one time that had mirrored scrollwork don the front, got it for 10cents at a thrift store, it was great. I was looking at it during meeting and to my horror I realised that it had mirror images of the word "bullshit" in calligraphy. How appropriate!

• Confucious
    Confucious

I did keep two suits. One which my mother (not a dub) bought for me. And another of nice material.

Haven't wore either one of them. Lost weight and don't think they would fit anyway.

But the JC Penny's one HAD to go.

I also threw out most of my ties except a few that were nice.

I did have a friend, a JW who commited suicide (thanks for the help elders) and his wife gave me his tie as a gift.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

In Jesus' name,

Amen

Goodonya!

Brenda

• Devils Advocate
    Devils Advocate

I remember when the elders hauled me into the back room of the KH to counsel me on my oh-so worldly ear ring in my left ear, they reminded me that JW's don't follow fads or fashion trends. I reminded them that the suits they wore were similar in style to those of the big haired t.v. preachers. They didnt' like that idea and the conversation went down hill from there -- another story for another day -- but I chuckle when I think of the look on their faces when I dared throw out a rebuttal. Actually I rebutted everything they said, and threw in a few adult words to boot, in a snobbish tone and air which added to the hilarity of the scene.

That was back in the 80's when everyone dressed preppy and I did my part. I kind of miss those fashions actually. Not into bluejeans that show my underwear.

• Confucious
    Confucious

Advocate, That is so Bull Sh!t. Dubs are just as much followers of the rest of the world. When CT was in command, they wore beards. When the "good judge" was in command, they dressed the way he wanted. Today, the Dubs dress like the Elders, who dress like the CO. Just because you had an ear ring. Big deal. Con

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    I remember when the elders hauled me into the back room of the KH to counsel me on my oh-so worldly ear ring in my left ear,

You should have told them, "You like that? You should see what's hanging from my nutsack!"

• Devils Advocate
    Devils Advocate

My nutsack? They probably would have wanted to inspect it and I don't think I'd liked that scene! LOL

• jws
    jws

Even JCPenney doesn't make their home office employees wear suits anymore, though the CEO and most of the VPs still do. Like JCP, most companies have gone to business casual dress.

I wonder if the JWs will ever relax their dress code.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit