Man charged for not tipping enough

by Larry 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Descender
    Descender

I used to be a waiter for almost 5 years. And the average rate of pay in the United States for a waiter that doesn't have a union to back him up is $2.13 per hour plus tips. Tips are given to the server for the service, not necessarily the food. I can't say how many times I was tipped on food quality and not service though. Sometimes I'd bring a steak that was cooked medium-well instead of medium and get completely stiffed, even after getting them a new steak and discounting the ticket price. There were always a few customers that you could tell were just looking for a reason not to tip you, like when people would try to order things that weren't on the menu, like pancakes and scrambled eggs when it was obvious we didn't serve breakfast in an upper scale steak house, and then they'd tell me, "oh, well your tip just went down."

I've had several different jobs over the years ranging from putting up scafolding, plastering, construction, laying concrete, landscaping, sales, serving, and brokerage. But the most stressfull and demeaning job I've ever had was definitely waiting tables. Imagine having a section of nine different tables, 40 different people, on a busy Friday night, all wanting refills. All 40 people think that they're meals should come first, their drinks should be full, their food should be perfect, and if everything isn't perfect, which it won't be, then they feel that they have the right to demean you, yell at you, call you names, and ultimately insult you by leaving you nothing for your hours of service. As a waiter, you will probably have to tip out a certain percentage of your sales to the bus boy, the hostess, and the bar tender, and possibly the person that sets your food up on the back line. If you don't get a tip from a table, you still have to give a percentage of your sales to all of the people mentioned above, which depletes your $2.13 completely and on a very bad night where the food isn't coming out right and you get flustered, it can see you leave the resturaunt with less than you came in with.

Some nights where everything went right, I could do very well. But a little known secret that I'll tell to all those that have never been in the resturaunt business is that good tippers and bad tippers will always be remembered. It's sort of a self fullfilling prophecy of bad tipping, because when a bad tipper walks in, the whole wait staff will know. The last waiter to wait on them will tell the rest of the wait staff and suddenly that table will get extra bad service, insuring another bad tip. If the customers were very rude, I knew waiters that would go farther than the norm and spit in drinks and soup and other gross things. It's the opposite for extra good tippers, the wait staff will hear about it and will spend more time at the table and will always make sure they are taken extra care of, ensuring that they keep tipping well.

As far as suing for an extra 8% gratuity, that's a bit ridiculous. But let's see, it was an Italian resturaunt and the manager was named Soprano, I think I'd tip well just for safety sake.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    The last waiter to wait on them will tell the rest of the wait staff and suddenly that table will get extra bad service, insuring another bad tip. If the customers were very rude, I knew waiters that would go farther than the norm and spit in drinks and soup and other gross things. It's the opposite for extra good tippers, the wait staff will hear about it and will spend more time at the table and will always make sure they are taken extra care of, ensuring that they keep tipping well.

I always tip at least 20%. That's my bottom line, and if the service (the server not the food) is good then I'll tip more. There have only been a handful of times that I've tipped less than that and I've never gone back to that restaurant.

But I'll be honest, I just don't see better service because of the way I tip. My regular restaurants sure don't treat me better I can tell you that. Oh they're not obnoxious or anything, but I've never seen the good side of what you describe. I don't know, maybe that just means I'm not considered a good tipper.

• marcosgarcia
    marcosgarcia

Descender is on the money! The wait staff always remembers the big ones and the little ones. I worked in many restaurants. My favorite customer was a middle aged couple that would tip me when they were seated. The first time he said "Now ya know what kinda service to give me" They were great ! They always called us by our names intead of hey waiter. We knew their names and it was a big deal when they came in. They were always cheerful and they always made a bad night turn into a good one. I once read that you can judge a persons character by how they treat the wait staff. I think that is true.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    The last waiter to wait on them will tell the rest of the wait staff and suddenly that table will get extra bad service, insuring another bad tip. If the customers were very rude, I knew waiters that would go farther than the norm and spit in drinks and soup and other gross things. It's the opposite for extra good tippers, the wait staff will hear about it and will spend more time at the table and will always make sure they are taken extra care of, ensuring that they keep tipping well

I used to tip very well based on this theory. Over time I noticed that it made absolutely no difference in the service I received. If you are wondering, I would tip well at the same place and take note of how they served me.

As an example... after tipping well several times I always end up with the worst incompetent server who couldn't find a piece of crap up his ass. I even had one girl who couldn't seem to bring be a soft drink after seating me. I waited and waited and waited (about 15 minutes)... finally I flagged down another waiter and asked for the drink. I waited and waited and waited for another 10 minutes. FINALLY they both came barging out of the kitchen trying to put two drinks on my table. And yes, they both gave me a "your an asshole" look. They should be glad I didn't order my food and then walk out before it was delivered.

What really pisses me off are those little places that do not serve you, but still put a tip line on the credit card receipt. I only give tips at sit-down restaurants that actually serve me. Why should I give someone a tip after I had to serve myself and bus my own table???

Tell your restaurant friends that if I ever catch them spitting in my food or doing anything else unsanitary I will sue their ass.

• Soledad
    Soledad
    If the customers were very rude, I knew waiters that would go farther than the norm and spit in drinks and soup and other gross things.

i've seen that happen a lot. be extra careful when you send your food back to the kitchen!!

• Mary
    Mary
    If the customers were very rude, I knew waiters that would go farther than the norm and spit in drinks and soup and other gross things.

Oh ya, I've heard of that and I saw a segment on Dateline where they caught these idiots on hidden cameras spitting in drinks, putting dropped food back on the plates, picking their noses and putting it in the food.........this is paramount to me going and slashing someone's tires for being rude to me. Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

Be that as it may, I'm aware that many wait staff will resort to this kind of stuff which is why I'm never rude to them......even if a steak has to go back to be cooked a bit more, I always say "...sorry to bother you, but could I possibly get this cooked a bit more? Thanks."

• jwbot
    jwbot

I tip depending on the service.

If it is awesome, they get 20% (really high in the US)

If it is good, 15%

If it is "eh" then 10% (which I think is the minimum, below that is considered rude).

One time, there was a waitress SO rude, its like us just coming in was inconvienencing her. Our food was late, cold, we did not get drinks till the end. We tipped her 27 cents and a petco token. She deserved less.

I am never ever ever ever rude to them either...I know better. Even if they are so rude to us...we just show our satisfaction by how much we tip.

• Descender
    Descender

If you're a regular at a resturaunt, find a waiter or waitress that does a good job for you, get to know their name and ask them about themselves a little bit, ask to see their manager if he/she is available and tell the manager that you really enjoyed the service, then tip decently.

When you come back, ask if you can sit in that server's section, and they'll treat you better than any of their other tables, almost gauranteed. And as an added bonus, they'll tell the rest of the wait staff that you're great people and good tippers. It probably doesn't work if you ony go to that particular resturaunt twice a year, but if you're like me and go to a particular resturaunt for lunch maybe once or twice a week, you'll find that it really works well.

• Preston
    Preston
    Restaurant owner Joe Soprano had said he did not pursue charges because of the money, but because Taveras' group was obnoxious.

The ironic thing is the same thing happened on an episode of "The Sopranos" last season when Paulie Walnuts wacked the waiter who complained about him leaving a bad tip. I am a strong believer that servers in the restaraunt industry should be properly tipped considering their base wages are so small, not because I use to work as one, but I know from experience from my two brothers who have dealth with a plethora of crappy restaraunt jobs. I find it interesting that the article doesnt mention the price of the meal. It could of been (if it was a group dinner) well over $1,000.00. If it was a costly meal and the guy lets say tipped $15.00 .... then... I could well understand their dilemma.

• truthseeker1
    truthseeker1

I was a waiter for years, going through college and even before and after :)

I totally understand the automatic gratuity for large parties. Servers hate taking parties, because its a all or nothing gamble. It takes up almost their whole shift, and if they get a crappy tip, there is no averaging it out over the night so it isn't a big deal. Its a guarantee for both the server and customer to get good service. the server is happy that the party is there (the money) so they give good service. Managers won't put crappy servers on big parties either, so they won't have to worry about that.

For people who think they don't have to tip, stay home and fix your own food, or go to a fast food restaurant or cafeteria and pick it up yourself. You are paying for the service in the tip.

Its funny when people are known to be bad tippers (regulars) and still demand good service! I've never seen anyone spit or do anything to someone's food, but i sure have seen servers knowlingly give crappy service because they know the person isn't going to tip.

Also servers get taxed on their tips, whether they get them or not. They have to report a certain percent of their sales as tips. So if they sell $300 to the party, they will have to claim (in CA) at least $30 as tips. So if you stiff them, you are actually charging them to serve you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit