Lasik Surgery

by StinkyPantz 36 Replies latest jw friends

• senselessly sane
    senselessly sane
    After years of contact lens wear, my corneas were too thin for Lasiks

LittleToe, do you know how many years of contact lens wear will cause this? I just hope I don't have to worry about that yet, at my age.

I've just about decided on getting Lasik a few years from now, I wear -6.00 in one eye and -5.75 in the other, as of my last Rx, which needs an update. Blind as a .

• toreador
    toreador

Hello Shelby,

Nice to have you drop bye

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Shel:You'd still need reading glasses, but the chances are that would be all.
    Whether or not they can do the surgery depends on the thickness of your cornea. Contact lenses tend to erode this, especially if they get gritty with protien build up.

I never knew that, and it came as quite a surprise to me. I had mainly used soft contact lenses (other than a two month foray with hard "gas-permeable" ones, that I strugggled to become accustomed to), since the late eighties.

Senselessly:I dont think it's so much years as hygiene. The only way to know for sure is to get them tested.
    The daily/weekly disposible contacts are far better in this regard, as protien doesn't get a chance to build up and abraid the fromt surface of the eye.

For the squeamish amongst you, I just cant resist:
    This involved numbing anesthetic drops being placed in the eye, so you don't actually feel anything at all, but then they prod around on the front of your eye with a mini-sonar-type-device. It makes pretty patterns on your retina - LOL.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I should also add, with regard to cost, that I was due to replace my contact lenses and glasses, as well as get a new eye-test. I generally would do that every three years.
    The cost of that was about equivalent to getting one eye done.
    This time next year it will have paid for itself with the added bonus that I haven't had to grope around for my glasses (or insert things into my eyes) in the morning, for the last two years, nor should ever have to again!

• AGuest
    AGuest

Toreador... the greatest of peace... and good to "see" you (and everyone else), too!

Your servant and a slave of Christ,

SJ

• Princess
    Princess
    I had mainly used soft contact lenses (other than a two month foray with hard "gas-permeable" ones, that I strugggled to become accustomed to), since the late eighties.

I wore soft contacts from about 1982 until 1988 when I ended up in the hospital with pseudomonas bacteria in my left eye. The doctor was unsure whether it was caused by the lakes I had been swimming in (It happened on our honeymoon) or infected saline solutions. They were the leave-in type contacts. I wore them for a week then cleaned them...I don't believe they have those anymore...wonder why?

I almost lost my eye, after that Steve wouldn't let me chance contacts until about 1994 or 1995 when I tried the "gas-permeable" lenses. God, what a nightmare those are. I finally had to get custom fitted lenses that I wore fairly successfully until I had Rhys. After he was born I got so sick of people telling me how tired I looked (red eyes from contacts drying out) that I gave up and wore glasses again. By the time Zoe was born I was tired of babies ripping my glasses off my face and smearing the lenses. I had the surgery and the rest is history.

• AGuest
    AGuest

The greatest of love and peace to you, my dear brother!

Shel: You'd still need reading glasses, but the chances are that would be all.

Yeah, I've heard that, LT. And I need them now with my contacts. Thanks for the heads up and again, peace to you and your entire household!

Your servant and fellow slave of Christ,

Shel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit