Jws and smoking...

by Bryan 22 Replies latest watchtower bible

• onintwo
    onintwo

Excellent remarks, Terry! I had never before put Jesus' words in that context. (what defiles a man, what doesn't). Good job.

Any word on sitting around a campfire and inhaling the equivalent of a pack or two of smokes? Is that still considered wholesome by the WTS? How about persons who live in smoggy areas like LA? Shouldn't they be advised to move? Tactfully, of course. Oh, and fire fighters, (they're called "smoke eaters" for some reason aren't they?) Exactly how Christian is that? Rushing into burning buildings where lives are at stake, all the while filling your lungs with known carcinogens?

(a little cynical today) Onintwo

• kwintestal
    kwintestal
    Jesus might have forgiven smokers for their "filthy habits" since it is not what goes into a man's mouth that defiles him; but, what comes out.

I think the smoking policy is just legalism on the part of the "faithful and discreet Slave". It is a means of wielding power.

If it really is a policy that is put in place to promote human health, why hasn't there been a ban on Big Mac's or just fast food in general. In the past few years you hear more about problems with obesity then you do about smoking. Think it will be just a matter of time?

Kwin

• onacruse
    onacruse

Remember when there was a 15-minute break between the Public Talk and Watchtower Study? Many brothers (and even an occasional sister or two) took advantage (or, shall we say, desperately waited for) that break, as the fumes in the parking lot looked like a barbecue.

Those that used tobacco were prohibited from being servants, but not subject to df'ing. In fact, the one and only time I've been a casket-bearer was for Eddie, a dear old coot who loved his cigars, and I never thought the lesser of him for that. Ethel (his wife) specifically asked me to be bearer, even though I was just a young teenager.

I still have Eddie's monogrammed Scofield bible on my bookshelf.

• gumby
    gumby
    Remember when there was a 15-minute break between the Public Talk and Watchtower Study? Many brothers (and even an occasional sister or two) took advantage (or, shall we say, desperately waited for) that break, as the fumes in the parking lot looked like a barbecue.

You beat me to it you bastard! I wanted to comment about this! Damn answer stealin, selfish comment taker!

Gumbacco

• onacruse
    onacruse

Gum-smoked-brain...too bad, eh? You snooze, you loose. LOL

Craigster

• myelaine
    myelaine

Smoking is foul and disscusting, it represents a weakness in a persons character, they are unwilling to surrender. It is a curse.

I have been cursed thus for 26 yrs. Don't worry though, God is reeeeally working with me now.

michelle

• Mulan
    Mulan

You had me going there for a minute, myelaine.

Good one.

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, the WTS has officially always discouraged smoking for its members but it was not a disfellowshipping offense.

Before 1973 when it became a DFing offense, elders, MS, pioneers, servants could not be appointed if they were known smokers.

In 1973 I was surprised at the number of "secret" smokers in the congregation that were now struggling to quit. Since they had no appointed positions, they had been allowed to continue smoking.

My grandfather was a Bible Student/JW back in the 20's and the 30's and he smoked and was an elder but he knew it was wrong. JWs still voted him an elder even though he smoked. There was no smoking at the KH or the conventions, people did it privately, knowing it was not considered right. I understand that Rutherford smoked, but I bet it wasn't at the conventions.

Blondie

• 4JWY
    4JWY
    Food and exercise are also important factors for Jehovah's witnesses. For exercise they......get out into the fresh air and occupy their mind and body by standing on the street corners with magazines heralding forth the Kingdom message.

Didn't you know, the best exercise known to man is standing on street corners with magazines??

• Dawn
    Dawn

I started smoking after I was DF'd also - some type of rebellion I guess. I quit - but still occasionally puff when I'm out with friends.

I once lit one up in the parking lot of the Kindgom Hall while waiting for my mom to get out of the meeting (I gave her rides to/from) - I did it on purpose - it was a kick to watch the parking lot servants have a heart attack over that one!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit