Well, I finally did it!

by onintwo 10 Replies latest jw friends

• onintwo
    onintwo

Finally went through and purged all JW files from our system. (My wife and I operate a small business that did business with several KHs in the area and a few outside of it.)

Now, that's a funny turn of events, isn't it? I'm going to have to tell them, when they call, that I can't in good conscience associate with THEM! The thought of doing business with them now turns my stomach and I'd be happy to tell them why.

Onintwo

• kls
    kls

Good for the both of you . Let's see how those shunners like being shunned.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal
    I'm going to have to tell them, when they call, that I can't in good conscience associate with THEM! The thought of doing business with them now turns my stomach and I'd be happy to tell them why.

Ha. That's funny. Good for you!

Kwin

• onintwo
    onintwo

Thanks, you guys. It's actually kind of a liberating feeling. I like the idea that I'm being pro-active too.

It seems all my life I've been told to wait on Jah, wait for new light, wait for something to change, etc. Wait, wait, wait. They like to keep you feeling dis-empowered. Like you have no say, no power, etc. Well this time the table's been turned!

Not that they're stymied in any way. There's other shops that can obviously service them, it's just the absolutely great feeling I get finally being in a position to say no to them!

Onintwo

• kls
    kls

Onintwo, now you are in charge and have the upper hand something JWS fear.,,,,,,,, Pretty liberating .

• Scully
    Scully

That sounds really great, onintwo!

Just be careful though, that they don't get wind of the fact that you are refusing to do business with them because they are JWs. Technically, that's religious discrimination, and they could cause you some serious legal problems.

Mr Scully does it with his business too. But when he realizes that the people who are calling him are JWs (recognizing their names), he tells them that he can only "fit them in" to his schedule when they should be at the meetings. They usually opt out and go somewhere else.

Love, Scully

• onintwo
    onintwo

That's funny Scully! Mr. Scully sounds like a really funny guy. Loved it.

But can you really get into trouble refusing to do business with them? I thought in America, as an independent business, we can refuse service to anyone and any group. I am aware that there's employment law that prohibits such discrimination. But does it extend to this?

Maybe some legal beagles on this board have some expertise in this area?

Onintwo

• Scully
    Scully

You know how the JWs would spin it if they found out that you were refusing to do business with them because they are JWs:

We're being persecuted!! Jehovah, help us please!! The big bad business man won't service Jehovah's people!! Now we have to buy from his (more expensive) competition because he's discriminating against us on the basis of our religious beliefs! What about our rights and our freedom of religion??

That's what you have to be careful about. And just because it doesn't go to a court of law, the court of public opinion may cause you some problems down the road.

Honestly, it's better for your business to make it seriously inconvenient or too costly for them to do business with you, than it is to refuse to do business with them all together. Stick a ouija board in the window. Put a weird Satanic looking gargoyle up on the service counter. Or flyers from Silentlambs. Scare them away, but make it their choice to not do business with you. Then you've got no potential legal problems to face from them.

Love, Scully

• Gerard
    Gerard

I hope that when the public in general become acquainted with the WT's Child Abuse Policies? , they will shun them too.

• onintwo
    onintwo

Good points, Scully. I guess you're probably on the right path. Let them decide they'd prefer NOT to do business with ME!

But then again, darn! I've always wanted to tell them that "unless they turn around, repent of their wrong doing, blah, blah, blah" (sound familiar?) they can't come back to me. Oh well..........

Funny thing, they can "mark" you, but you can't mark them. (as bad associations)

Oh well, the thing will collapse under it's own weight soon.

Onintwo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit