thanks

by sometimeleft 5 Replies latest jw friends

• sometimeleft
    sometimeleft

I"m taking this time to thank all for welcoming me to the board. This is more welcome than i got at the KH on most occasion lol . I have lots to tell but don't know where to start -and don't tell me : " from the beginning " lol

I was really duped by the society and up to last year still thought it was the truth. Many things bothered me about what went on or what was said but always put it in the back of my mind thinking things will straighten out . The same went for my wife. We were regualar at meetings etc.

It was not till my older son studying at university that he found a passage in a book in one of his philosophy classes that sounded familiar. He realized it was the same as one that was quoted in the Watchtower to make a point . Now here's the thing. He went on reading this passage in his textbook continuing where it stopped short in the watchtower. He found that this passage was taken out of context. When our son made this known to his mother , she said :" that 's it - WHAT HYPICRATES !! "

But get this - my son approached two elders on his find asking for an explanation .They tried - one saying " you're right - it is taken out of context but this is what i want to believe - .THen he added :" don't tell any of the other elders about this "

The other elder ( a much younger one ) agreed about the context thing and said :" I don't care - this is what I want to believe"

Imagine friends- after the society telling us how hypicratical the other religions were - takeing things out of context - the society does the same thing. After that we delved into further research and started to realize that this wasn't the truth.

We were stunned by what things we found - to the point that we wondered -" where do we go from here ?" After months of realing and still attending sparodic meetings - we started to be ignored at the hall. After more research we decided to give our notice and we sent a letterby registered mail to the society telling them that we wanted to disassociate ourselves ( my wife and I ) We left the the older boy to make up his own mind -the other was never baptized.

Well talk about being shunned - An elder phoned us first before announcing this news at the hall that the society recieved our letter asking us if we still felt this way .We said we did .Then he said that they no longer can talk to us on a social level .I asked why? - He responded by saying if was the same as being DF'd. No one ever called to find out why.

anyways - that's all for now - my fngers are getting tired lol - lots to tell you if you're interested .bye for now

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Welcome to the board (you and your wife)

Now hang on for the ride.

When I first came here with my doubts, it was great therapy for me in adjusting to life outside of a high control group. Someone said to give myself at least 2 years to adjust. And they were so right.

Read anything you want to. Satisfy whatever your questions are. But give yourself time to rebuild who you are, friends, interest, etc. There is no hurry, there is no deadline. So relax and enjoy your new journey.

Hugs,

Joy

• kls
    kls

Sometimeleft it is always so great to hear when people can think for themselves and see what the WT cult really is. We like hearing stories of peoples departure from the WT , so feel free to share

• gumby
    gumby

Hi sometimeleft...I never had a chance to introduce myself.....so hi!

An elder phoned us first before announcing this news at the hall that the society recieved our letter asking us if we still felt this way .We said we did .Then he said that they no longer can talk to us on a social level .I asked why? - He responded by saying if was the same as being DF'd. No one ever called to find out why.

Remember how Jesus said a good shepard would leave the 99 to find the one stray? They didn't even bother to try and rescue you or your wife did they? Had you said you had a hard time getting out in service and wanting to go to meetings...they would have bent over backwards giving you scriptures of encouragement/guilt......but when you doubt the Organisation.....your a dog with no encouragement given. Loving bunch aren't they?

Nice to have you here

Gumby

• kgfreeperson
    kgfreeperson

You know, this makes absolute sense to me. The Watchtower knows that once someone has doubts, they are going to share those doubts with their "friends" if only to get an explanation and/or reassurance that things are really okay. The Watchtower also knows that things aren't okay and that if they don't insist on shunning, the doubt will sweep through congregations and, in no time, there will be no followers at all.

And probably most JWs know that, too, so they are protecting themselves from the devastation of having someone point out how much of their lives they have wasted in service to a lie.

This seems to me a self-limiting strategy, but does that mean The Watchtower will fall within 5 years or 50 now that there is the internet? Who knows, but I continue to believe as long as Scientology can find and keep believers, The Watchtower is safe.

• New Castles
    New Castles

Its a shocking experience...its great that your family has left with you. My decision to fade has been met with extreme discontent from my family, but I hope for the best in the end. Question, do you know what book it was the qoute was taken from?? Just some info for those of us interested in researching that a little

Thanks, and hope to hear from you and your family...

NC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit